Thread: 458 or 488?

Name
    Paul

Default 458 or 488?

Not been on here for a good while, been more into boats for a while, anyway no doubt still the plethora of regular posters ....so hello to people who know me ... so my question is this.....

Looking at maybe a Lambo or Ferrari again and wondered if theres much in the 458 to 488 in engine and technology?

458 seem well priced for a 2013 car, but is the 488 worth the extra 50-70k if it's just an odd track day etc....

Paul

Name
    355Chris

I cant talk about the 458 to 488 difference but I can tell you that a 458 is a fantastically fast and balanced car. It is far to fast for the road as it is. The 458 certainly sounds better than a 488, but Im sure the 488 will be even better to drive as each evolution of Ferrari always seems to be.

Not terribly helpful for deciding between the two but a lovely position for you to be in!!

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

I've not driven either, but whilst the 488 is undoubtedly faster, how much power do you really need? For me the 458 is the choice, solely due to not being that keen on turbo engines. The 458 is a real high-water mark in NA engines, and we won't see its like again.

Plus I suspect it's a better place to put your money

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    I've not driven either, but whilst the 488 is undoubtedly faster, how much power do you really need? For me the 458 is the choice, solely due to not being that keen on turbo engines. The 458 is a real high-water mark in NA engines, and we won't see its like again.

Plus I suspect it's a better place to put your money
    Don't want to be a judas here but seriously consider the Huracan Performante.

Probably an equally good place to put money as it's been labelled the modern Challene Stradale by a few commentators.

On the enough performance - Mon has clearly got a point - Ferrari's arguably got too fast for public roads (even deserted ones where the law isn't watching) a decade ago BUT having said that track days are becoming the only socially acceptable place to exercise your car so how the car is on track is a key factor which again would have me choose the lambo over the 458 and 488. Speciale and the 488 GTO will be unobtainable no doubt.

Mike01606 is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Don't want to be a judas here but seriously consider the Huracan Performante.
    Didnít you order one or am I mistaken?

Name
    CPD

Yes I have one of the last build slots secured (deliberately for quality purposes) but I am not 100% certain to do it as I have other things vying for the money I earmarked for it.