Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Italy trip

Name
    355Chris

Default Italy trip

I have always wanted to a little driving trip in Italy. I want to do it next June.

I would really like to do modena (factory etc), then Lake Como, through Stelvio pass, then home.

Originally I was thinking of the motorrail to kill off a big chunk of Europe but it doesn't look like the Dusseldorf- Verona train is running in 2018.

Does anyone know of any quick ways to get the car to Italy without actually driving it the whole distance?

Any other recommendations very welcome.

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

http://www.mnbtransport.com

will cost you around Ä1k+ Italian VAT each way

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Mark: have you used them ? One year soon I'm going to do the Targa Tribute so knowing options would be helpful

Name
    355Chris

Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    http://www.mnbtransport.com

will cost you around Ä1k+ Italian VAT each way
    Thanks for that. It would work perfectly for me. Transport it out. Fly out to meet it. Drive around in italy and then drive it back.

As asked above, have you used them?

Has anyone else used them?

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Can personally vouch for these guys.

They lots of stuff inc. FXX / F50 / F40 etc.

http://www.cargocartransport.co.uk

I know the owner and his partner and he treats everything as if it were his own pride and joy.

dave964 is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Dave

What's the reason for not driving down? I did a similar trip in September 2016 and enjoyed the trip down there a lot (in fact, trust me - it was nicer than driving in Italy where the driving is....... memorable). I stopped in a couple of countries on the way down, and had a great time.

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    Mark: have you used them ? One year soon I'm going to do the Targa Tribute so knowing options would be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by 355Chris View Post
    Thanks for that. It would work perfectly for me. Transport it out. Fly out to meet it. Drive around in italy and then drive it back.

As asked above, have you used them?

Has anyone else used them?

I've used them I think 6 times now and Bruce Cuthbert also used them last Year. They ship all the new Ferraris and Lamborghinis in Europe down as far as China

For return you can either get the car to them/ from them at their facility just north of Modena or they'll deliver collect at an airport/ hotel etc

In the UK I meet them at the nearest motorway services but they're happy to deliver anywhere as long as it's accessible to an HGV

Name
    Slapshot

I'd take the Portsmouth to Santander ferry. One way with 2 passengers and an F430 is only £389.

Name
    355Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    What's the reason for not driving down? I did a similar trip in September 2016 and enjoyed the trip down there a lot (in fact, trust me - it was nicer than driving in Italy where the driving is....... memorable). I stopped in a couple of countries on the way down, and had a great time.
    I want to avoid a very long tiring drive down there. Transporting it would be great, because then i could fly down, which is only a few hours and i dont have to think, reduce/remove any issues on the way there (crash/breakdown) and be fresh to enjoy the holiday and then have a nice drive all the way back.

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

Can I suggest a series of books called Ďback roadsí Italy which also go deeper into regional guides. Many of Italyís better roads are largely hidden from the autostrada chaos. By eyewitness travel these books break down routes into logical packages inc. suggested places to stay. Before we bought our farm there we used these to really get to know the country and itís regions. Example you may want to go to lake como and battle itís tourists and Riva boat posers or you could go to Lake Iseo which is just as majestic but less touristed and has the Riva factory site and museum. You could then drop down into Brescia for the Mille Miglia museaum and charming town that it is that is steeped in worship of all things Motori. Verona, Mantova (Nuvolariís town and museum) and then Modena. The Ferrari museum there is much better than the one at Maranello but the pilgrimage has to be done. Be sure to hit the Panini collection which is free and mind blowing. Maranello is always a bit of a let-down as it is in the thick of an industrial area and there are much better places to be with your car on holiday. The drive up to San Marino is a blast and then down from there to Sansepolcro is a Mille Miglia highlight every year. I am biased and suggest you hit Umbria and lago trasimeno before perhaps a day in Siena before you make your way north. You could take the Stelvio but unless you hit it right you will end up surrounded by cyclists and motor homes crawling along at a snails pace. Do your research and also look up the strada del vino if thatís your thing...
    From now until then take every opportunity to sit with an espresso to plan your trip and get in the mood.
    Name:  8D7C202E-BE8F-42F0-B63C-12149A551DFD.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  70.4 KB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast