Thread: 24 Hour Karting Race - Drivers wanted!

Name
    Hardeep

Default 24 Hour Karting Race - Drivers wanted!

Myself and a friend have entered a team into the 24 hour karting race at Milton Keynes Daytona. The race will take place on the weekend of 6/7th October. It's one of the finest outdoor circuits in the country with a 1.4km distance lap.

We are looking for a couple of extra drivers to join us. In total we will have around 6-8 people in the team so approximately 3-4 hours kart time per person. We will have a few short practice races between now and October so all drivers can familiarize themselves with the circuit if they aren't already.

Let me know if anyone is interested

Costs are £1700 for the team, so split between us it should be around £200-300 per driver depending on how many drivers we have.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Sounds great but Iím kind of chubby - power to weight Iím probably not your man

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Sounds great but Iím kind of chubby - power to weight Iím probably not your man
    Likewise !

I was northern area champion as a teenager but unless the karts are carrying lead handicaps I will be off the pace...

Name
    Hardeep

This is our first time doing the 24 hour and we aren't experts by any means. Main thing is to have fun and be semi competitive, as long as we're not last
    So don't worry if you're off the pace, as long as you're within 1-2 seconds that's ok. The fastest drivers in our team lap the Sodi karts in the 1:10's or 1:11's on a dry day.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by petrolhead88 View Post
    This is our first time doing the 24 hour and we aren't experts by any means. Main thing is to have fun and be semi competitive, as long as we're not last
    So don't worry if you're off the pace, as long as you're within 1-2 seconds that's ok. The fastest drivers in our team lap the Sodi karts in the 1:10's or 1:11's on a dry day.
    Golden rule for endurance racing.

If you want to finish first you must first finish

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I dont want to spoil anyone's day but if anyone is thinking about doing this you will need to get fit as driving a go cart for several hours will cripple someone who is totally unfit. The bucket seat will be very large so probably wont hold you in place so your Abbs will hurt and just getting out of the cart will be agony. You might think a crash helmet doesnt weigh much ........ until you have been wearing it for 4 to 6 hours driving with a corner every 10 seconds. The carting center wont have carbon helmets, so your neck muscles will be totally shot and you wont be able to keep your head upright going round any corner. Dont kid yourself that its lots of short stint drives, the cumulative effect will be a real killer, and you need to do very specific exercises to strengthen your neck muscles. .

Name
    Hardeep

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    I dont want to spoil anyone's day but if anyone is thinking about doing this you will need to get fit as driving a go cart for several hours will cripple someone who is totally unfit. The bucket seat will be very large so probably wont hold you in place so your Abbs will hurt and just getting out of the cart will be agony. You might think a crash helmet doesnt weigh much ........ until you have been wearing it for 4 to 6 hours driving with a corner every 10 seconds. The carting center wont have carbon helmets, so your neck muscles will be totally shot and you wont be able to keep your head upright going round any corner. Dont kid yourself that its lots of short stint drives, the cumulative effect will be a real killer, and you need to do very specific exercises to strengthen your neck muscles. .
    You're spot on Simon. It's not to be taken lightly as it will be mentally and physically tough.

Last year I was barely able to complete a 20 minute race without having a dry throat and aching muscles. It would take me a day to recover afterwards.
    Since then I've started going to the gym regularly and I can now do hour long races without too much difficulty.

The endurance race will be another step on but it's motivating me to keep going to the gym 4-5 times per week so that's got to be a good thing

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by petrolhead88 View Post
    You're spot on Simon. It's not to be taken lightly as it will be mentally and physically tough.

Last year I was barely able to complete a 20 minute race without having a dry throat and aching muscles. It would take me a day to recover afterwards.
    Since then I've started going to the gym regularly and I can now do hour long races without too much difficulty.

The endurance race will be another step on but it's motivating me to keep going to the gym 4-5 times per week so that's got to be a good thing
    One of the keys to being fast in karts and indeed other motorsport is to not Ďmuscleí the kart. There is a cornering technique in Karting where you pick
    Steering angle and lock your respective elbow into your hip so the load is spread much more. Managing the adrenaline and learning to be cool calm and relaxed is key to managing fatigue. Having said all of that I wouldnít do the neck load without my carbon lid. A cheaper solution is a karting neck brace which are
    Worth the small cost to invest in. Good luck.