Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Euro Road Trip

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by swnyradar View Post
    Great driving roads should have lots of fast, open, sweeping bends and elevation changes. Come to Wales, I can show you lots of them
    Some of the roads in the welsh weekender were just epic, and its the only public highway where its been safe to use a bit more of the cars performance

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Personally I've seen nothing in the UK that can rival the good European roads. I'm not talking about the famous passes as they can get snarled up with traffic , although not always. Tourists should be expected and when we take our cars, that's exactly what we are too! We found we could enjoy the passes at a reasonable speed without being silly.

Get off the beaten track and there are thousands of real treats

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    Personally I've seen nothing in the UK that can rival the good European roads. I'm not talking about the famous passes as they can get snarled up with traffic , although not always. Tourists should be expected and when we take our cars, that's exactly what we are too! We found we could enjoy the passes at a reasonable speed without being silly.

Get off the beaten track and there are thousands of real treats
    You need to take up Mike’s offer Mark. These are off the off the beaten track

OP look forward to your final reflections
    Last edited by Mike01606; 17-06-2018 at 07:59 AM.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    You need to take up Mikes offer Mark. These are off the off the beaten track

OP look forward to your final reflections
    Seconded. It's not like any other road trip/outing I've ever done.

Fluffekins is offline Girl's Porsche Boxster Club Member
    Name
    Russell

Finally after a week of reflection (and being back at work) here are my final thoughts on the trip and some helpful hints and tips:-

Advice

1.DO NOT spend 2 days of solid hard graft "detailing" your car before the trip. It is a total waste of time will give you a sore back.
    2.See no.1
    3. Decide on the type of trip you are looking for is a) a sightseeing trip with a leisurely drive or b) a search for driving thrills or c) an adventure or something different, and plan route accordingly
    4. Maps are your friends. Get a really good map or a decent app that lets you enter routes into a decent quality Sat Nav (this rules out anything Ferrari have supplied in any of their fabulous cars).
    5. Spend some time plotting a route giving due regard to the time and day that you 'll be on the road and what this means in terms of other road users or even the availability of certain roads.
    6. Don't try and do too much, pick a drive for the day and possibly have options to do more or do less depending on how you feel, the weather etc.
    7. The internet is a great resource, but bare in mind that everyone else is looking at the same web sites. As someone said earlier in the thread - get off the beaten track.
    8. Have realistic expectations.
    9. Have decent communications if travelling with others - we had excellent 2 way radios
    10. DO NOT and I cannot stress this enough, do not spend 2 days detailing your car!

Reflections

Clearly my advice is based on my experience and reflection of the trip, but the first thing I should make clear is that the trip itself was excellent, spending a week on the road with your friends in some beautiful places was a real pleasure and a privilege. Owning a Ferrari for me was lifelong ambition and there were times on the trip when I had to remind myself of that, but more often there were times that I had to pinch myself, I'm driving the Stelvio pass in a Ferrari - my Ferrari, and I'm with my close friends. Life is good.

My previous trips have been in a Caterham, a hired Caterham at that and there is definitely a difference between driving someone else's car where your maximum liability is the excess and potential injury and driving your own pride and joy which represents the rewards of many years of hard work, and a fair proportion of one's wealth.

That said I think it is more about expectations. We were looking for the ultimate in driving roads, just short of a racetrack on the road. We didn't really find this in the Black Forest so we could've skipped that completely and gone straight to Switzerland. That said it was 4 days of travelling for 3 days in the alps. That was too much, and although skipping the Black Forest would've given us more time in Switzerland it is still a lot of travelling.

Due to the weather on the final day in Switzerland as I've written previously, the final day on which we had massive expectations and should've been the best of all was completely spoiled and was actually the worst.

In summary, we spent too long travelling and not enough time driving and some of the roads were busier than expected.

The Car

The question I had before the trip was, would I miss the Caterham. There is seriously something very cool and special about 3 Caterham's rolling into town. The positive reaction you get is fantastic.

I did miss this aspect a little although I have to say that the reaction of the Ferrari was almost exclusively positive. Particularly in France actually, guys on the motorway with thumbs up and urging me to overtake. There was a teenager on a bike in Verdun, riding alongside with his phone taking pictures. He followed us to the hotel and I invited him to sit in the car and I took some pictures of him in it.

The preparation rituals you have to do every morning to get a Caterham ready and every night when you finish up was something I too thought I'd miss, but in practice I was glad I didn't have to faff about like the other two, although I did spend lots of time wishing they'd bloody hurry up!

There were definitely times where the Ferrari felt a little too big, Stelvio was one, due to the cycle race and general traffic and getting in to the odd underground car park, and in this respect being in a Caterham would've been better and more fun.

However, there was a particular drive to the hotel in Vals that I'll never forget and wouldn't want to have been in any other car. Also the vast distances on French motorways were a relative joy in the Ferrari, especially the tolls an especially when the weather turned bad.

What is true though is that our experiences are somewhat different because of the different cars and what they represent to each of us as I mentioned at the start.

As we start to think about next years trip I am slightly concerned that the driving I'm looking for may be slightly different to what my friend's are looking for in their Caterham's. In Caterham speak a "blatt" down some country roads whereas I think i need something a little wider with sweeping bends rather than hairpins.

I also think though that given that we own these cars and drive them all year (rather than just a week in a Caterham every year) that we might have got the "looking for a public racetrack" thing out of our system by the time we go away next year and instead do not judge the trip on the quality of the driving rather than the quality of the journey, destination and adventure.

Finally, if you haven't done something like this in your Ferrari, you really should, it's what they're made for - oh and that sound!

If you got to the bottom of this, thank you for taking the time to read and the comments along the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Russell

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Nice write up and very honest. Its got me thinking about some trips now and buying a Caterham.

I had two seasons of doing hill climbs and sprints in a lotus 7 and I still have the urge to get back into one as its the only car I have ever driven that could be ragged right up to its limits on back lanes and still keep you out of jail. Light weight front engine rear drive set up does let you have some real fun at slower speeds

Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Nice write up and very honest. Its got me thinking about some trips now and buying a Caterham.

I had two seasons of doing hill climbs and sprints in a lotus 7 and I still have the urge to get back into one as its the only car I have ever driven that could be ragged right up to its limits on back lanes and still keep you out of jail. Light weight front engine rear drive set up does let you have some real fun at slower speeds
    You'd be surprised how expensive they are for a good one these days, especially considering how little of it there is. I'd love one too (had one back in 90's) thing is, I know that if I had one now, I'd only use it a couple of times a year and then feel guilty for not using the Ferrari enough.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234