Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Euro Road Trip

Name
    Carper Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffekins View Post
    Therefore the room rate was unbelievable Ä100 inc breakfast - the best Iíve had in a hotel (and stay in lots).
    Having looked at their website that is a fantastic hotel for a silly low price

Quoted rates are MUCH higher .... where did you book it from please ?

Name
    jonnyjonkers

This is a very honest report, I'm loving it! Keep it coming.

Fluffekins is offline Girl's Porsche Boxster Club Member
    Name
    Russell

The plan for yesterday was Furka pass then Grimsel then Susten finally Ober something or other and back to Flims.

Weather forecast was a little dodgy but still looked alright as we left the hotel and headed off with roofs down.

It started to rain lightly so we pulled over outside a race team workshop. This was to be the highlight of the day.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5371f990eb.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...732cecc806.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a29ea5f817.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d7553763fc.jpg

They were the Radical dealer in Switzerland but mainly ran Customerís cars - amateur gentlemen racers, who mostly used Ligiers and Radicals but anything a client wanted. They invited us to have a look around and we had a nice chat with the mechanic.

Itís owned by the fella next door who owns a Subaru dealer and a senior guy from Zurich Ins Co.

They lose money on the basis that they canít compete with the lower costs of similar teams in Germany, France and Holland, but itís a hobby that the owners are happy to indulge.

Anyway from there we went to the Furka. The heavens opened and with rain bouncing off the road we set off. The cloud was so low and the fog descended as we hit the top that the journey was very slow, and no fun at all.

After all the talk of tyre age on the forum recently i was very conscious of the age of my front tyres, and the fact that Iíd left replacing them until after the trip. This did not inspire confidence coming down the pass with 10m visibility and rivers running down the road.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0ce921673f.jpg

By the time weíd crawled up and down the other two passes weíd decided to find somewhere for lunch.

We found the most unpleasant fly invested hell hole imaginable. ĎLooked okay from the outsideí or rather it looked dry.

Anyway while there we were turning to decide a route back either going over the passes again (cloud and fog even lower) or taking a massive detour via motorways. The decision was made for us - Susten pass was closed. We set off and did a 200km detour to get back.

A total wash out of a day, 100ís of km driven for no enjoyment whatsoever.

We started our journey home today a big 350 km drive to Verdun in France - we expected poor weather all the way but actually we missed most of it and actually the drive wasnít that bad.

Last night tonight, itís belting down in Verdun.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7740efb6e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Russell

Mike, Iíll come back to you re booking details when Iím home in front of a PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Very honest road trip story . Would be interesting to see what you think about doing this trip in a Ferrari when you have been home for a few days and had time to think about it.

I have got to the stage in my own Ferrari owning experience to think I would enjoy the trip more in my Cooper S. I just find the Ferrari performance cant be used on the public highway, the speed differential to other vehicles, along with other road users driving around blissfully unaware of how fast a supercar might be going, makes it just dangerous to drive anywhere near the limit unless you are on very open roads with no junctions etc ........ or I might get caught by plod driving in a manner that would get me a jail sentence !!

Modificato is online now Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

I think this I why official events will need to take over from self organised stuff. In Italy last month
    I met the organiser of the best of Italy race where they have negotiated 40km of closed roads for their event. As you suggest you have to really pick your desitination but also timing so you are not bogged down by regular traffic. I like night runs for that reason around here.

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    I canít imagine how a caterham could be more fun than a modern V8 Ferrari. I had one for a weekend and thought I had gone half a century backwards....

Like taking a steam engine to a tractor pull.
    A Caterham is excellent fun on a road trip. But you have to consider it more like a slightly safer motorbike than a car.

Getting caught outside in strong sunshine is worse than rain (or snow) IME. But as long as you're prepared, and plan your routes appropriately, there are few ways to have more fun on 4 wheels.

That said, I've also done tours in the 355 and V8 Vantage I owned. Also great fun, but in different ways and you plan different routes for those cars really.

Stelvio is very overrated IMO. There are better passes (San Bernadino was a lot of fun the last time I did it), especially for a more modern Ferrari.

btw, a std Caterham tank is 8 gallons and depending on how it's being driven you should be good for at least 25mpg and more likely 30mpg when not balls out (on track, 6mpg is doing well ). So the range isn't that horrendous.

Everyone should do a trip like this at least once. My other half noted she couldn't think of anything worse. We then did Portugal and bits of Spain in the V8V and she absolutely loved it. Booked a couple of hotels that I definitely wanted to show her, but the rest we made up as we went along. It's a great way to see a country, and if you have an interesting car it's fun too and you meet lots of very friendly people.

swnyradar is offline Remember the Alamo! Club Member
    Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post

Stelvio is very overrated IMO.
    Apart from the scenery, I can't see why roads like this are called great driving roads? What's fun about accelerating, then braking to a low speed, millions of times in a row? (Not that I've been)

Great driving roads should have lots of fast, open, sweeping bends and elevation changes. Come to Wales, I can show you lots of them

(Sorry for the hijack - great thread!)

Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
    A Caterham is excellent fun on a road trip. But you have to consider it more like a slightly safer motorbike than a car.

Getting caught outside in strong sunshine is worse than rain (or snow) IME. But as long as you're prepared, and plan your routes appropriately, there are few ways to have more fun on 4 wheels.
    Spot on, I've thoroughly enjoyed every time I've been in a Caterham. The rain is a problem when you have to put the roof up, can't see anything as it steams up like a sauna and the 3 inch windscreen wipers are less that useful. Lorries simply can't see you and the spray that enters the cabin is like being in a jet wash (when using a half hood).

Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by swnyradar View Post
    Apart from the scenery, I can't see why roads like this are called great driving roads? What's fun about accelerating, then braking to a low speed, millions of times in a row? (Not that I've been)

Great driving roads should have lots of fast, open, sweeping bends and elevation changes. Come to Wales, I can show you lots of them

(Sorry for the hijack - great thread!)
    I couldn't agree more. These roads might be great if they were closed to other traffic, but when you have sheer drops on one side, and stone walls on the other it, I too think there are better roads, particularly in the foothills and in the valleys.

Funnily enough I was talking about Wales to my friends yesterday, the last time I tried I was aiming for the "Evo triangle", but I'm not sure I found it and with a hangover 4 hours sleep and a car I'd picked up 3 hours earlier, plus traffic - it was a bit of a non event.

I will try again.

For completeness sake the final day yesterday travelling from Verdun in France (nice town and lovely hotel) back to Calais. Weather was overcast but dry and we thought we were pushed for time so headed up the motorway.

The drive was quite pleasurable, toll booths make excellent drag race opportunities and our cars although very different are pretty evenly matched in acceleration terms, at least up to about 80 mph.

Even without 'racing' it was good to be able to experience the Ferrari's acceleration and the great noise it makes. Childish, I know.

We got to Calais quickly - you also see some interesting cars there and we saw a group of Daimler Dart owners on their way back from a trip.

Once back in Blighty, you are instantly reminded how poor our roads are and how disinterested our authorities seem to be in repairing them and how good French roads are in comparison. Obviously some traffic on the M25 but other than that, all good.

I'll reflect on the trip over the next day or so and finally write up my thought and a summary.

Thanks all for reading my ramblings. Not sure why the pictures only appear as links, as they appear when using the app.

All the best,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast