Thread: Putting routes into satnav

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Default Putting routes into satnav

Hi all

I am currently preparing for a big trip next week to France, Switzerland and Italy in my GT4. I am trying to put all the routes in to my TomTom Start 52 which I bought to replace my previous model which didn't have a memory card and couldn't accept .gpx imports.

I've done OK getting all the simple routes with preferred roads prepared in a mixture of Google Maps and TomTom Mydrive. However I have learned from trial and error and searching on the web that Google Maps limit you to 10 points on your route and TomTom seems much the same though I can't remember how many for them. And even if I manage to trace the whole route on Google Maps it only exports the last 10 points. So an awful lot of time wasted on learning all that.

I have two particular parts of my trip that I do want to have routes for. The first (though taking place second) is a drive round the Susten, Grimsel and Furka passes. I can get round it by separating it into 3 or 4 different routes, but not ideal.

The other one is more complicated. I am taking part in a rally around Chinon in the Loire valley which I will driving by myself so no tulip map reader to guide me. I could of course follow others but as they always get lost anyway I would rather have things under my own control. I have the route which is an embedded Google Map with about 200 reference points. I have looked at the underlying code and can see all the grid references, but I don't mind manually inputting the route from a map on some online software - though still not sure exactly what the TomTom will accept. But someone has alrfady inputted the whole things inot Google Mpas but as far as I can make out Google no longer offer such a facility - not even a paid for professional version.

Anyone any experience of this and who could point me in the direction of some suitable software? Doesn't have to be a free one - I'm quite happy to pay a modest amount for something that works.

F

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Mike uses this for the Wales Weekends...

http://www.tyretotravel.com

At least worth a look.

M

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Mike uses this for the Wales Weekends...

http://www.tyretotravel.com

At least worth a look.

M

Thanks Mike

Will give it a try.

F

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

You will struggle to load much onto a tom tom, a hardly any models support route loading. I ended up buying a Garmin and then using Tyre software. I think you can then load hundreds of waypoints and download a google route as well. Basic tyre software was free and the garmin cost me about £80 from Halfords, and it came with all Europe

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    You will struggle to load much onto a tom tom, a hardly any models support route loading. I ended up buying a Garmin and then using Tyre software. I think you can then load hundreds of waypoints and download a google route as well. Basic tyre software was free and the garmin cost me about £80 from Halfords, and it came with all Europe
    My TomTom was fine this year.....routes were perfect but as you say it isnít easy.

Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Hmm - Simon - I read equally bad reviews for Garmin. But might be worth it for a once off. What model?

F

swnyradar is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Mike

Hi francis

I found tyre excellent and simple to use, but it has stopped using google maps this month as google have started charging for an api key whatever that is. The same company has a much better offering here https://www.myrouteapp.com/en

The catch is you have to pay to use it...

Mark uses https://copilotgps.com/which may also be worth a look.

P.s. your trip sounds wonderful

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    Hmm - Simon - I read equally bad reviews for Garmin. But might be worth it for a once off. What model?

F
    Francis

I got a Garmin Drive 51 (not sure if its still available ?) but whatever model you get make sure it has the "Trip Planning" - this is the unction that permits itinerary planning with hundreds of waypoints

We also have three Tom Toms of various vintages in the house and following my total failure to load multiple waypoint routes onto any of them, I did some research and discovered there are only a few Tom Tom models that support itinerary planning.

I found the Garmin was different but no better or worse than any of the Tom Toms, and I cant say anything bad about it.

Price seems to vary on a weekly basis as different models get discounted as newer ones come out so its pot luck how cheap you can get something