Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 458 Wing Mirror glass wobble

achaddy is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

I think my biggest thing I have learnt is get a PPI regardless of the source, approved status or Warranty.

May have swayed my decision to purchase rather than getting carried away with perfect spec and shiny exterior.

Mike01606 is online now Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

It only sounds like niggles that will hopefully be sorted but there are the consumer rights act protections if it’s more than that Andy.

Name
    Dermot

I had a wobbly mirror on my 458. It is not recommended to try and do it yourself and you will break the mirror. For once the new mirror part is cheap and an easy dealer fix.

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by achaddy View Post
    Driving the car home yesterday I noticed the image in the wing mirrors was shaky.

So washing the car today i noticed the glass doesn't appear to be fixed in either mirror very firmly and tapping it will make it move.

Is this a problem with my mirrors or is it a common trait?
    Hi, I have exactly the same problem with The Left side door mirror on my 458, I asked on here but no one replied with the answer ? so hopefully some one will lets us know how to fix, Regards DM

Name
    transcup

Default warranty

Is this not covered by the fantastic 7 year Ferrari warranty?

achaddy is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

Quote Originally Posted by transcup View Post
    Is this not covered by the fantastic 7 year Ferrari warranty?
    It’s getting fixed next month, car going back to dealer for a few items

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Eddie Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by achaddy View Post
    Driving the car home yesterday I noticed the image in the wing mirrors was shaky.

So washing the car today i noticed the glass doesn't appear to be fixed in either mirror very firmly and tapping it will make it move.

Is this a problem with my mirrors or is it a common trait?
    Hi, I had exact same problem with mine, so after several attempts I got the glass out to have a look, and what it is is a very bad design, it has at least 6 small forward facing small plastic lugs which bend backwards when you insert the glass then they should spring forward to support the glass and keep it from vibrating, but what happens is some of these little lugs break off so that is when you will notice your glass vibrating as you drive along, so what I did was where the lugs were broken I stuck several small pieces of double sided badge tape about 3 high so they now support the glass when it is refitted ?? and seems to work great with no vibrating when driven, so save replacing these very expensive glasses, as I am sure some of these lugs are broken when they fit the glass at the factory ??, Regards DM

Name
    CPD

The mirrors are actually made in Spain in a XXXXXX plant which I have visited.

The plant makes millions of mirrors annually for all sorts of vehicles. The ferrari Mirrors are technically one of the most basic designs they make and if it looks engineered to low cost you wouldn’t be wrong. The makers barely make any money on them (which is how Ferrari often treat suppliers “you should be honoured to make Mirrors for us”) and the volumes are so microscopic compared to their main customers. they are mostly used in sales meetings as a kudos earning device.

XXXXXX’s delivered quality is at or around 3ppm (defective parts per million) across the board so I would wager the defect you have is either post-production (as per my earlier post) or a ham-fisted repair somewhere between original manufacturing and your ownership....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12