Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Petrol in Ferrari

A348W is offline Toyota MR2 355 replica Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Mike, you are correct. That is why the supermarket fuel is cheaper as it doesnít some of the cleaning additives etc.

I certainly notice a positive difference if I put Shell in instead of one of the others. I never put supermarket fuel in anything.

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by thecook101 View Post
    Although would the DMS remap change that? Did Tony say anything about that to you Mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I filled up with a fresh tank of 95 before sending it to DMS and made sure they knew: I did not want a map on higher octane because I use the car on the continent, often in rural areas, and cannot always guarantee easy access to anything higher.

Usually when going for a remap cars are filled up with the with the highest octane available, and post-map the knock detection system is left to adjust the ignition downward when lower octane fuel is used.

I wanted the extra safety margin – especially if I’m in the Alps or something at high load on a steep incline. It's not a huge margin, granted, but it's peace of mind.

mon the fish is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Interesting replies on this thread - I genuinely assumed the car would prefer or at least perform better on 98. BMW manuals always used to state that their cars run fine on 95, but run better on 98. I thought something similar would have applied on Ferrari engines with their high specific outputs.

I always try and use V-Power in mine, and Momentum only if I'm not near a Shell. Whether it makes a difference I don't know as I've hardly ever put 95 in

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    Interesting replies on this thread - I genuinely assumed the car would prefer or at least perform better on 98. BMW manuals always used to state that their cars run fine on 95, but run better on 98. I thought something similar would have applied on Ferrari engines with their high specific outputs.

I always try and use V-Power in mine, and Momentum only if I'm not near a Shell. Whether it makes a difference I don't know as I've hardly ever put 95 in
    My CLK63 must be run on at least 97 or "engine damage may occur". It's permitted to use 95 but "only part or light throttle and not for extended periods". My E46 M3 has the same recommendation as your BMW.

I'm genuinely unsure why Ferrari chose to do it this way, especially given the F430 engine is relatively high compression. I originally thought it was due to a small development budget vs the major manufacturers who have specific calibrations for most countries i.e. they will go to a 97+ map if that fuel is easily available, but this theory went out of the window when my Scuderia ECUs arrived with a "GB/Inghilterra" sticker on them - that calibration is also based on 95.

achaddy is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

When driving through Europe you definately want to stay away from SP95-E10. Has 10% ethanol to reduce emmissions but will be bad for your engine.

Seems to be coming the norm in France now. Will be introduced to the UK market sometime soon.

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

Quote Originally Posted by achaddy View Post
    When driving through Europe you definately want to stay away from SP95-E10. Has 10% ethanol to reduce emmissions but will be bad for your engine.

Seems to be coming the norm in France now. Will be introduced to the UK market sometime soon.
    Being here for 30+ years (and not just in France) this advice is spot on. You may not find V-power, but there is still 98 (as is the case in Modena, if you see what I mean)

A348W is offline Toyota MR2 355 replica Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Another post got me thinking...

If Iím running 98, (348) would that make the engine run hotter and potentially contribute to a slow down warning light / exhaust ecu / thermocouple intermittent fault I have?

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Another post got me thinking...

If Iím running 98, (348) would that make the engine run hotter and potentially contribute to a slow down warning light / exhaust ecu / thermocouple intermittent fault I have?
    Higher octane fuel releases less heat when combusted, compared to low octane fuel, so the car should run cooler. It actually makes less power in a lower CR engine than the lower octane fuel it was set up to run on.

Cars do not run correctly on higher octane fuel unless they have provision to do so. The degree to which they aren't optimal may not be noticeable from the driving seat, but it is happening.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    Higher octane fuel releases less heat when combusted, compared to low octane fuel, so the car should run cooler. It actually makes less power in a lower CR engine than the lower octane fuel it was set up to run on.

Cars do not run correctly on higher octane fuel unless they have provision to do so. The degree to which they aren't optimal may not be noticeable from the driving seat, but it is happening.
    Interesting.
    I run my daily CLK 240 on regular but both the 360 and Alfa Spider (latter only quite recent) I use high octane. I use the higher octane fuels because I believe they have additives which the 95 fuel does not. I also recall it being said the ignition timing is altered by the engine management ti make better use of either 95, 97 or 98?

Not sure the Alfa (which has always had 95 in until recent) likes the higher octane.

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    Interesting.
    I run my daily CLK 240 on regular but both the 360 and Alfa Spider (latter only quite recent) I use high octane. I use the higher octane fuels because I believe they have additives which the 95 fuel does not. I also recall it being said the ignition timing is altered by the engine management ti make better use of either 95, 97 or 98?

Not sure the Alfa (which has always had 95 in until recent) likes the higher octane.
    Go by the owners manual - if it recommends then 95 stick to it. I avoid supermarket petrol if possible, but I don't worry if I have to use it. All modern petrol is pretty damn good.

(I don't have a diesel car, but diesel is another story - I wouldn't use supermarket diesel.)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast