Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission pan leaking - What silicon do you guys use? Or not?

milkshaker0007 is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    paul

Default Transmission pan leaking - What silicon do you guys use? Or not?

Ok so I must be bored again as I'm doing another job on the car

The 308/328 have never been great holders of oil, anyone who has owned one will say, yep it weeps a little here and there.
    But I've had enough of a messy garage floor, so I've gone and removed the pan and just wanted to ask the grease monkeys 🐒 on here (hands on guys) what silicon sealant do you use or do you go with a dry gasket and torque up to spec.

I got a can of wurth RTV Silicon I used before on other cars( see pic 1)

I've removed the pan and cleaned all the areas ready to refit, noticed quiet a few hair line cracks inside the pan itself and on the outside (see pic 2 and zoom in to see)
    The leaks are not coming from them though.
    I brought some o ring washers and domed nuts to stop the oil drips coming through the threads (I had a lot of drips hanging from these)

I'm also going to do the shift shaft seals as getting a little weep from the outer one that drips down onto the shifter outer rubber gaiter, well in for a penny in for a pound, why not

Then that just leaves the cam seals AGAIN!!!!!! F**k**g hate those GRRRRRRRR
    But I'm not doing those now, that's in a couple years as they've only been done TWICE this year already- don't ASK, I'm not a happy bunny.

Silicon or not to silicon is the question, or any other words of wisdom welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

I hate oil leaks too. Interesting comment about the cam seals as I have a weeping one and want it sorting at the next belt change.....your not selling it to me as apparently they all leak and 3 out of 4 of mine are OK.

On topic....IMO minimal thin bead of fresh RTV.

Im loathed to use it but that pan is aluminium and thin so Id rather use something to fill the tolerances rather than rely on torquing alone.

Pangea is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Nick

If the sump is flat I would use Hylomar with the gasket. Check it with a strait edge to be sure.

http://hylomar.com/hylomar-product-r...ing-compounds/

A348W is offline Toyota MR2 355 replica Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

As Nick says.

Not sure what oring washers and domed nuts will do for you; other than not allow you to torque it down properly, unless I'm missing something.

If you get the gasket and liquid gasket correct, then the oil shouldn't reach the studs? I'm sure you know, but go easy on the liquid gasket, I've seen a few people over zealous use of it only for the excess to come off and clog an oil way (not on an F car fortunately).

There is one bonus to a car that leaks a bit; you know it has oil in it

Terry is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Terry

Paul, on my last 355 I had similar drips of oil so removed and used Threebond on the sump. Never leaked again to my knowledge.

Some info on this page:

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...g-Part-2/page6

milkshaker0007 is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    paul

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    As Nick says.

Not sure what oring washers and domed nuts will do for you; other than not allow you to torque it down properly, unless I'm missing something.

If you get the gasket and liquid gasket correct, then the oil shouldn't reach the studs? I'm sure you know, but go easy on the liquid gasket, I've seen a few people over zealous use of it only for the excess to come off and clog an oil way (not on an F car fortunately).

The o-ring washers or bonded washers (other name for them)
    Domed/capped nuts---- closed up, so no oil can leak down the thread like they doing are on my car at the moment, have measured deapth of thread and no danger of bottoming out in the capped nuts, plenty of room.
    The bonded washers are another seal just in case to the gasket leaking again and so are the domed/capped nuts.
    Just belt and braces really, added protection as sick to death of leaks (see pic of bonded washers/domed nuts compared to old nut and washer ferrari use on the pans)
    A lot of guys on FChat use these bonded washers on both there pans, I will also change mine.
    It really is just covering all possible situations, just in case.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    paul

[QUOTE=Terry;831617]Paul, on my last 355 I had similar drips of oil so removed and used Threebond on the sump. Never leaked again to my knowledge.

Some info on this page:

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...g-Part-2/page6[/QUOTE

Thanks for that Terry, much appreciated,
    That's 3 different recommendations now, wurth which I know some ferrari dealers use when doing pans.
    Hylomar sealant which is a Non setting type ( I have a really old tube of that, I used on my lawnmower) so stays flexible at high temperatures same as wurth
    Plus threebond which I've never heard of, so I'll read up on that one also, many thanks for everyone's input

Name
    paul

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    As Nick says.

thanks for that, when I removed the old gasket it had black liquid gasket around every stud but it still dripped down the thread, hence my belt and braces theory with bonded washers and capped nuts after the actual gasket and sealant application.

I like the quote
    At least you know it has oil in it.

Name
    paul

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Paul, on my last 355 I had similar drips of oil so removed and used Threebond on the sump. Never leaked again to my knowledge.

Some info on this page:

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...g-Part-2/page6
    I'll check tonight if my pan and gearbox casing are flat with a straight edge, if not I'll bin the paper gasket and use this threebond 1184 only as I've just been reading up about the product and as you say Terry it has excellent reviews, I'll still use my bonded washers and capped nuts on the outside as well

Unless I have a fourth recommendation, then I'll have sleepless nights deciding

I want a non dripping car for now on

Pangea is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Nick

I only use Three bond in no gasket situations. It is an excellent product and will do the job for sure. A lot of those silicone sealers like you found on the sump gasket are just not up to the job and not very resistant to oil or heat so break down over time allowing leaks to occur. Maybe its been apart before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast