Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 355 slow down light

Name
    Simon

Does anyone know the correct temps for the CATs so I can verify mine are at the correct temp.
    I am seeing about 350c in normal running and around 400-440c after a harder run.

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Red_SLR View Post
    Does anyone know the correct temps for the CATs so I can verify mine are at the correct temp.
    I am seeing about 350c in normal running and around 400-440c after a harder run.
    That seems a bit low. I didnít think cats worked properly below 400 degC
    Anyway my handbook says 400 to 800 deg C.

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

What means are you using to measure the temperatures?

Name
    Simon

"laser" thermometermebob.

Basically drive out about 20 mins, get up to temp, stop in layby, jump out, lie down at back of car and stick the thermometer under the rear bumper to measure temp of cats, get up dust oneself off, back in car, drive home, cant find house keys so now locked out, search the car, empty pockets, drive back to layby that's 20 mins away, pick up keys off the floor, drive back home swearing along the way...

I also measured the temps from inside the engine bay onto the top of the cats.

Took the car out today (did not measure the temps) in the hope it would throw the SDL but despite my best efforts, nothing.

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

Same for me Simon. I use an infrared thermometer to look at temperatures under the bonnet - exhaust manifold readings are always interesting! In that department I finally gave in and bought Tubi. However, back to the cats. We read that the operating temperatures of catalytic converters are very high once really warmed up, but I would imagine that the figures quoted are at the core of the converter. Using an infrared thermometer gives only the values on the surface of the converter.
    In short, I have no idea, other than to say that googling tells us that we should be looking at the temperatures at each end of the converter to show that the unit is working. Over to you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12