Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Ceramic paint protection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    sweeni's Avatar
    sweeni is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birkenshaw West Yorkshire
    Name
    David Todd
    Posts
    3,501

    Default Ceramic paint protection

    My 308 is nearing the end of its bodywork restoration and I have been advised to have the car ceramic coated. I know little about ceramic coating other than the promises of an ultra hard shiny finish which will last up to 5 years.
    And itís costs a lot.....

    A few questions then:
    Are the promises correct or exaggerated
    Are there different qualities
    What is a reasonable price to have it done
    Does it mean no more waxing
    Have any of you had it done and if so what do you think

    Cheers
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward Ė just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

  2. #2
    F355GTS's Avatar
    F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North Hants
    Name
    Mark Collins
    Posts
    6,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweeni View Post
    My 308 is nearing the end of its bodywork restoration and I have been advised to have the car ceramic coated. I know little about ceramic coating other than the promises of an ultra hard shiny finish which will last up to 5 years.
    And itís costs a lot.....

    A few questions then:
    Are the promises correct or exaggerated
    Are there different qualities
    What is a reasonable price to have it done
    Does it mean no more waxing
    Have any of you had it done and if so what do you think

    Cheers
    Hi David

    I've had it done and it certainly adds a layer of protection, I think 5 years is a myth and my experience is it's needs re doing annually however (don't read this DaveZ!!) I don't use the 2 bucket mode anymore and get different results, my 458 seems to have super hard paint and never scratches, my FF the paint is like cheese and you only have to look at it to get swirl marks this is irrespective of the ceramic coat.



    You can wax over the top and it will potentially give it an even greater shine

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    north west
    Name
    CPD
    Posts
    2,727

    Default

    Have spent a while orbiting planet detailing and most of these crystal, nano, ceramide, aquaphobic,pseudo, molecular-whateverís have never lived up to the hype.

    Had three done of three generations and the all started to look like melted cling film well before the supposed life span. Each was done by trained, serious retailers etc. The products of the detailing world seem to be more hyped than cosmetics. Same with wraps which are very hit and miss depending on the patterns and the shops that do them. A Mate just had his Veyron done by [insert famous social media hyped detailers] and to my engineers eye it just looks **** to be honest. The best any of my cars has ever looked was after a week long detail and the crazy price top of the range Zymol wax. These days I donít bother other than to wash correctly and then re-spray Stone chipped areas after every couple of years...

    Drive it then if it gets so bad you canít look at it get the paint done again is my stance now.

  4. #4
    francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    S. England, but Scottish!
    Name
    Francis Newman
    Posts
    16,840

    Default

    Had mine ceramic coated 2 years ago after having it paint corrected. Certainly still looks great after a simple wash and no need to wax. I was told probably needs redoing after 2-3 years. Was money well spent as far as I'm concerned and will do it again.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    England
    Name
    Mark Wibberley
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Hopefully I can bring some industry experience and an honest appraisal for you.
    To be clear from the start, my company Morethanpolish Ltd is the UK Distributor for a Belgian Ceramic coating, Kenolon Ceramic Shield, and my other company Race Glaze Ltd markets its own 9H Ceramic product.

    Are the promises correct or exaggerated - depends who you listen to ! Its definitely the hottest new thing and there are people peddling dubious products at huge prices. The key is preparation. Any defects under the coating will be magnified, not hidden like wax will.
    Are there different qualities - yes. Hardness is one measure - 5, 7 or 9H, but quality and credibility of supplier more so. And quality of application company. This dries like glass and has to be wet sanded off if applied badly - and some are. We run a national training and accreditation scheme for Kenolon so all our guys will do a perfect job. RG 9H is optimised for DIY application by intelligent people (or who can at least read and follow instructions).

    What is a reasonable price to have it done - expect £300-400, plus the prep - at least a single stage machine polish.
    Does it mean no more waxing - yes. You can wax if you wish but no real point.
    Have any of you had it done and if so what do you think - had a panel done on my old P-car as none of my other cars paint is good enough (see above). But I have witnessed and helped apply on about a dozens training courses as well as being trained myself. The Ferrari Centre have a test F430 bumper, which they invite customers to hit with a marker pen. The uncoated side marks, the coated side not.

    Durability - we'd expect 30-50,000m, so for cars like Ferraris, much longer.
    Shine, beading - outrageous !

    Hope that helps.
    The Kenolon network is shown here if of interest: http://morethanpolish.com/kenotek-car-care.asp
    RG 9H here: http://morethanpolish.com/Race-Glaze-9H-Ceramic.asp

  6. #6
    sweeni's Avatar
    sweeni is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birkenshaw West Yorkshire
    Name
    David Todd
    Posts
    3,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post
    Hopefully I can bring some industry experience and an honest appraisal for you.
    To be clear from the start, my company Morethanpolish Ltd is the UK Distributor for a Belgian Ceramic coating, Kenolon Ceramic Shield, and my other company Race Glaze Ltd markets its own 9H Ceramic product.

    Are the promises correct or exaggerated - depends who you listen to ! Its definitely the hottest new thing and there are people peddling dubious products at huge prices. The key is preparation. Any defects under the coating will be magnified, not hidden like wax will.
    Are there different qualities - yes. Hardness is one measure - 5, 7 or 9H, but quality and credibility of supplier more so. And quality of application company. This dries like glass and has to be wet sanded off if applied badly - and some are. We run a national training and accreditation scheme for Kenolon so all our guys will do a perfect job. RG 9H is optimised for DIY application by intelligent people (or who can at least read and follow instructions).

    What is a reasonable price to have it done - expect £300-400, plus the prep - at least a single stage machine polish.
    Does it mean no more waxing - yes. You can wax if you wish but no real point.
    Have any of you had it done and if so what do you think - had a panel done on my old P-car as none of my other cars paint is good enough (see above). But I have witnessed and helped apply on about a dozens training courses as well as being trained myself. The Ferrari Centre have a test F430 bumper, which they invite customers to hit with a marker pen. The uncoated side marks, the coated side not.

    Durability - we'd expect 30-50,000m, so for cars like Ferraris, much longer.
    Shine, beading - outrageous !

    Hope that helps.
    The Kenolon network is shown here if of interest: http://morethanpolish.com/kenotek-car-care.asp
    RG 9H here: http://morethanpolish.com/Race-Glaze-9H-Ceramic.asp
    Many thanks for that, given me a much better insight.
    Given that the car is having a full bare metal respray I can't imagine that much prep would be required or am I being naive?
    The company doing the bodywork also do ceramic coating but they say it will be "around £1200 - £1500 but we will do a proper quote", you say a far more realistic £300 - £400, and how can I be sure who can it it correctly? (Looking at your link I see that there is only one dealer in Yorkshire)
    Can it also be applied to wheels?
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward Ė just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

  7. #7
    Arron is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A Land Called Make Believ
    Name
    Arron
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post
    Hopefully I can bring some industry experience and an honest appraisal for you.
    To be clear from the start, my company Morethanpolish Ltd is the UK Distributor for a Belgian Ceramic coating, Kenolon Ceramic Shield, and my other company Race Glaze Ltd markets its own 9H Ceramic product.

    Are the promises correct or exaggerated - depends who you listen to ! Its definitely the hottest new thing and there are people peddling dubious products at huge prices. The key is preparation. Any defects under the coating will be magnified, not hidden like wax will.
    Are there different qualities - yes. Hardness is one measure - 5, 7 or 9H, but quality and credibility of supplier more so. And quality of application company. This dries like glass and has to be wet sanded off if applied badly - and some are. We run a national training and accreditation scheme for Kenolon so all our guys will do a perfect job. RG 9H is optimised for DIY application by intelligent people (or who can at least read and follow instructions).

    What is a reasonable price to have it done - expect £300-400, plus the prep - at least a single stage machine polish.
    Does it mean no more waxing - yes. You can wax if you wish but no real point.
    Have any of you had it done and if so what do you think - had a panel done on my old P-car as none of my other cars paint is good enough (see above). But I have witnessed and helped apply on about a dozens training courses as well as being trained myself. The Ferrari Centre have a test F430 bumper, which they invite customers to hit with a marker pen. The uncoated side marks, the coated side not.

    Durability - we'd expect 30-50,000m, so for cars like Ferraris, much longer.
    Shine, beading - outrageous !

    Hope that helps.
    The Kenolon network is shown here if of interest: http://morethanpolish.com/kenotek-car-care.asp
    RG 9H here: http://morethanpolish.com/Race-Glaze-9H-Ceramic.asp
    Just had the Kenlon product supplied by Mark applied to my 430 by Kent High Performance Cars, had the front end (bumper, wings, bonnet, sills and mirrors) repainted, the whole lot paint corrected, Kenlon applied and then the front end wrapped in some sort of self healing film. To say it looks stunning is an understatement. Sorry, don't have any pictures yet, I'm still waiting for my garage to be finished so the car is still up in storage with Roger. My own opinion would be that it's a worthwhile process - this based on having seen the results of what would be a professional application.

  8. #8
    Mike01606's Avatar
    Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cheshire
    Name
    Mike M
    Posts
    3,514

    Default

    Dave Zís company covers your also Dave....

  9. #9
    dave964's Avatar
    dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Camberley
    Name
    Dave
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Dave Zís company covers your also Dave....
    Thanks. Took a look at his website, and it looks like it's probably £500+ - I was hoping for more like the £300-400 quoted earlier in the thread.

    Maybe I will do it myself - from reading up on it, it doesn't seem much more complicated than giving the car a good clean / clay and applying it pretty much like you would some wax.

  10. #10
    Mike01606's Avatar
    Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cheshire
    Name
    Mike M
    Posts
    3,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    Thanks. Took a look at his website, and it looks like it's probably £500+ - I was hoping for more like the £300-400 quoted earlier in the thread.

    Maybe I will do it myself - from reading up on it, it doesn't seem much more complicated than giving the car a good clean / clay and applying it pretty much like you would some wax.
    Send him a PM....Iím sure heíll offer you a CS special


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Paint protection
    By SJF in forum Technical Q & A
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 10:21 PM
  2. Paint protection
    By SJF in forum Technical Q & A
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-04-2010, 09:22 PM
  3. Paint Protection
    By 360CS Paul in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 10:12 PM
  4. Paint Protection Film - Where from ?
    By 360Jay in forum Car Cleaning and Detailing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 29-09-2007, 12:54 AM
  5. Bygging Paint Protection
    By MD Clutches in forum Car Cleaning and Detailing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-11-2006, 09:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •