Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOT "gratuities"

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

Default MOT "gratuities"

Just for fun......Do you give the MOT guy a tip? Might be worth a poll.................

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

No. But I suggest he takes my Ferrari for a good drive first to get the cats properly warmed through. Never had so much as a warning on the MOT for some reason

Modificato is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    CPD

No

Name
    Mark

Financial? Absolutely not. I couldn't take pride in the car knowing it wasn't to the requisite condition for an MOT.

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

I meant a tip AFTER the test, thus having no influence on the fitness of the vehicle. In other areas of service, if we are happy with the standard of work, a tip might be forthcoming.....no? If I see that the technician has been careful manoevering my 355 over bits that stick out of the ground, approaching the drops onto the rollers and being careful where the lifting blocks are positioned etc. I am very happy to give him (no hers yet!) 10 euros.

Name
    Dave

I don't think I've even met the person who does the MOT. I used to get it done as part of a service but this year leave my cars for the afternoon at the local MOT centre. It had never occurred to me to tip them, and I don't think I'll start.

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    I meant a tip AFTER the test, thus having no influence on the fitness of the vehicle. In other areas of service, if we are happy with the standard of work, a tip might be forthcoming.....no? If I see that the technician has been careful manoevering my 355 over bits that stick out of the ground, approaching the drops onto the rollers and being careful where the lifting blocks are positioned etc. I am very happy to give him (no hers yet!) 10 euros.
    Ahh, no, just repeat business. I'm not into the whole tipping culture.

A348W is offline Girl's Porsche Boxster Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Yeah.."don't eat yellow snow!!"

No I don't tip; this isn't America!!!! Good God man!!!!

I do however do the MOT with him. I drive the car onto/off the ramps etc, sit in the car and do all the buttons /steering/brakes etc. Have done this with them with my previous classic as well. They appreciate the help, we have a good natter as we go and I also get to have a good look under the car on the ramp etc. The guy was well chuffed this year as it was his first Ferrari and he had been doing MOTs etc for donkeys and had always wanted to do one.

My dailies I just drop them off with them and they drop them back when they have done.

The above might sound cosy, but they certainly don't cut me any slack whatsoever, and quite rightly, although I do get offered the use of their garage facilities if there is something I cant do myself at home which is good of them; eg hydraulic press to get those SOB suspension bushes in!!

Only shame is they are closing down next year so I will have to find somewhere else!
    Last edited by A348W; 11-09-2018 at 08:08 PM.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I tend to do the MOT with the tester on my toy cars, have a natter with the lads in the garage, and have a packet of nice biscuits in the boot which I then give to the lads in the garage.

They have a large plate you drive over to test the brakes, so have to do a sort of emergency stop as soon as you get all 4 wheels onto the plate. The mechanics are **** scared of even trying this in my 430 and none of them want to even try and drive my Lotus Elise as it has trick everything along with a supercharged 450 BHP Honda type r engine, race clutch etc.

I have never had any trouble passing the emission test

Out of interest can you use the conventional "brake roller" to test the 430 brakes ? Would having the front wheels stationary and braking the rear wheels individually upset the ABS and give erroneous brake efficiency readings ? The plate device at my MOT garage gets round this problem as all wheels are braked at the same time, and is also OK for my other cars which have a conventional LSD

phillg is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Phill Grimshaw

My 430 has been MOT'd on the roller system for 10 years with no problems.
    I drop in at XMAS and give a crate of beer for the blokes and a bottle of wine for the boss.
    It goes a long way for the rest of the year.
    Spider,or coupe? Just get one of each.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast