Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to take the plunge into Ferrari Ownership - advice needed

Name
    fezzaman

Default About to take the plunge into Ferrari Ownership - advice needed

Hi All,

A visited the forum a while back when I was considering my first Ferrari, and for one reason or another I didn't at the time make the leap.

Well fast forward to now, and I am about to take the plunge

I would appreciate a bit of advice or insight if anyone could provide it. The car I am buying is from the main dealer network so will be prepped before sale.

Does anyone have prior experience with Ferrari's policy on tyres and also servicing. The tyres on the car are now upto 6/7 years old and thread is on 4mm, and the car is due its next service in March 2019 so thats around 6 months away. The present situation is that the dealer says the it will not be serviced as part of prep due to having already been serviced this year, and the tyres are within Ferrari approved standards which is upto 10 years old and 4mm. It looks very unlikely they will budge on this position which isn't the end of the world, but I just wanted to ensure this is consistent with other peoples experiences? I am guessing my expectations of a Ferrari Approved car were perhaps mis-aligned to reality!!

I would really appreciate any feedback and advice. Very excited but also very nervous at the same time

jos is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

10 years sounds too old - try asking them for written justification and meanwhile check the tyre manufacturer's site for their advice (eg Kwik-Fit say six years but Bridgestone say ten )

Name
    Dave

By coincidence, there was a similar question regarding servicing on the Aston forum recently. The answers for that suggested that the Aston policy for their timeless approved cars was that they would only be serviced pre-sale if the service was due within the next 3 months.

Name
    fezzaman

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like I am not going to get very far on these two items and just have to factor them into some of the more immediate costs upon taking ownership.

The tyres are Bridgestone's so thats maybe where the 10 years comes from! on the servicing items I read somewhere that there was a policy that if it is due within 8 months then it will be done, but I think this was on a forum rather than from a Ferrari official site. There doesn't seem to be anywhere on the web about the standards that need to be achieved as part of the 190 point check? unless anyone here has any info on this?

achaddy is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

Quote Originally Posted by fezzaman View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like I am not going to get very far on these two items and just have to factor them into some of the more immediate costs upon taking ownership.

The tyres are Bridgestone's so thats maybe where the 10 years comes from! on the servicing items I read somewhere that there was a policy that if it is due within 8 months then it will be done, but I think this was on a forum rather than from a Ferrari official site. There doesn't seem to be anywhere on the web about the standards that need to be achieved as part of the 190 point check? unless anyone here has any info on this?
    Having recently bought from a Main Dealer I wouldn't rely on the supposed 190 point check too much. Get an independent PPI done which will be far more extensive than the marketing BS for Ferrari approved. At the end of the day behind the glamorous showroom they are car salespersons out to make as much profit out of you as possible.

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by fezzaman View Post
    Hi All,

A visited the forum a while back when I was considering my first Ferrari, and for one reason or another I didn't at the time make the leap.

Well fast forward to now, and I am about to take the plunge

I would appreciate a bit of advice or insight if anyone could provide it. The car I am buying is from the main dealer network so will be prepped before sale.

Does anyone have prior experience with Ferrari's policy on tyres and also servicing. The tyres on the car are now upto 6/7 years old and thread is on 4mm, and the car is due its next service in March 2019 so thats around 6 months away. The present situation is that the dealer says the it will not be serviced as part of prep due to having already been serviced this year, and the tyres are within Ferrari approved standards which is upto 10 years old and 4mm. It looks very unlikely they will budge on this position which isn't the end of the world, but I just wanted to ensure this is consistent with other peoples experiences? I am guessing my expectations of a Ferrari Approved car were perhaps mis-aligned to reality!!

I would really appreciate any feedback and advice. Very excited but also very nervous at the same time

Is the car within the 7 year servicing plan? if so I wouldn't worry. For the tyres I'd stand your ground there's always room for negotiation, main dealer will probably have 10k-15k in the car

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Let me know where the car is and I will ask for a test drive ........ this will expose just how bad the tyres will be .... and the salesman will require a change of pants .

On a serious note just factor a set of new tyres into the man maths before you buy anything, unless they are less than a few years old. If you arent used to driving that particular type then learning what it can do on 7 year old tyres is asking for trouble

A348W is online now Remember the Alamo! Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Let me know where the car is and I will ask for a test drive ........ this will expose just how bad the tyres will be .... and the salesman will require a change of pants .

On a serious note just factor a set of new tyres into the man maths before you buy anything, unless they are less than a few years old. If you arent used to driving that particular type then learning what it can do on 7 year old tyres is asking for trouble
    2nd that, having done the "round and round she goes, where she stops"...bit on a roundabout on 7/8 year old tyres!

Name
    fezzaman

thanks for the advice guys. It is an older Ferrari so I think the service plan stuff doesn't apply, and they won't service it so will budget for an annual in 6 months time. The dealer are also just not willing to move on their position on the tyres so I will just get some replacements soon after purchase. It will be my first Ferrari but I have owned 500bhp region cars for a little while now so hopefully not too much of a shock (although some of my previous cars have been 4WD!)

Name
    Mal

There were 9 year old Goodyears on my Ford GT when I bought it and it was like driving on ice compared to the new Bridgestones that I soon changed them too.

I would insist on the dealer doing it of get them changed straight away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast