Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FOC membership renewal

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Default FOC membership renewal

It's that time of Year and for the first time in 21 Years I'm erring towards not renewing my membership.

I found the decision to book a venue for the national meet that would only accommodate less than 10% of the membership, limit access to one car per order and charge for entry to be a crazy situation and given that this would have been the only event I'd have gone to I just cant see the value anymore.

The trackday options are now extremely limited and in recent years have always been more costly than commercial operators and don't get me started on the driving standards

My local areas (Wessex and TV) are too far South or East to enjoy local meets

What else is there that others enjoy that makes it worthwhile?

MoreThanPolish is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Sponsor
    Name
    Mark Wibberley

As an AGO, the Area Groups and their activities are always the core of what I do, apart from competition, which I know is rather niche. Its a shame you are between areas but worth getting involved if you can.

The magazine is getting very positive feedback now too.

National Event wont be the same next year, as the venue will be new and without restrictions, which the Club is very aware of.

There are also the picnics, discounted tickets to major events, invites with free entry to events like CarFest.

I could go on but at the end of the day, its down to how much you wish to be / can be involved really, the cost isn't really the main point for most

jos is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post
    National Event wont be the same next year, as the venue will be new and without restrictions, which the Club is very aware of.
    Today's 2019 calendar says Aug 3 Danesfield House Marlow which to me suggests only the date is new ?

Name
    Andy Chadwick

I was going to join again next year purely to do a trackday or 2. Want to give the 458 a good run and my insurance covers me for Ferrari events.

Unable to see the calendar though so dont know what the dates are. Silverstone is normally April And I will be away for 3 weeks then.
    Enjoyed the last time I did FOC trackdays but that was a few years ago and I hear things have chnaged since.

I too am in between 3 regions. Wessex, TV and Cotswolds. All are a fair drive to any of their meets and I struggle to attand monthly gatherings.

A348W is offline Remember the Alamo! Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Andy, I'm with you there. I tend to occasionally meet up with the Cotswold lot, but more just at Prescott as its fairly close. All the others are over 1.5-2 hours away.

I'll carry on for another year but after that, I'm not sure. I know the renewal notice list a number of benefits, but to be host I'm not interested in most of them. Discount scheme with partners...? Only one I'm aware of is a few quid of fuelcards from Pirelli, if you get them from their performance centre, where I can get them cheaper through my local tyre guy..so no benefit there! The FOC events are not exactly my cup of tea. The magazine is a good effort and I enjoy reading it, but not really worth just the membership fee.

Anyway, personally I prefer getting other clubs in trouble for laddish behaviour they weren't even involved in

As to some track time, I am going to sign up for a Sprint day at Curborough 7th May, and Silverstone track day with FOC next year. Provisional dates are April 15th Silverstone, 25th May Goodwood I'm told.
    Last edited by A348W; 06-11-2018 at 02:11 PM.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Well as most of you know I am pretty much an FOC die hard! So I will be re-joining.

I just enjoy meeting with all the friends I have made through the FOC, just as I enjoy meeting with all the non FOC friends I have made on here at non FOC events. I don't go to all the events, posh balls are not my thing.

Having for many years been a PHR member rather than an owner, I also enjoy helping at events such as this weekend at the Classic show at the NEC and talking to the general public about Ferraris.

I am also giving serious consideration to having a go at a couple of the Hill Climbs in the FOC Hill Climb series. It's not expensive and only needs me to invest in driver overalls and a new helmet to get involved.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

Name
    Terry Gardiner

Default Whether to renew?

Once again I am wrestling with the 'should I, shouldn't I' annual conundrum. As a member for 23 years I'm disappointed that the FOC offers so little that appeals to me. Having relocated further north in the UK I'm no longer so well placed for those many events that are organised in the south east. The predominance of newer cars and seemingly members wanting gala dinners does nothing for me. Some events aimed at owners of the older cars would appeal more. Remember Richard Colton's V12 Group?
    Having relocated I feel I should give the local area group a fair chance, they seemed like some friendly and interesting blokes when I met some of them.

Name
    jonnyjonkers

I've renewed. The Club puts on a good number of events I'd like to go to, I just wish I had more time so I could attend them all. The Dundas Castle / Knockhill Circuit event sounded awesome.

The Club will put on one or two big national events, it's down to the local Area Groups to arrange meets, drive outs & tie-ups with other local clubs & shows etc. As a member, you can influence this via Club Night and on a national level anytime throughout the year or in person at the AGM.

Jez Moore is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Jez Moore

I've never been a member of FOC probably due to the number of negative comments, but after 11 years ownership I am tempted to consider joining up next year.
    My local group would be Sussex, are there any members on here, are they very active, and do they still met at The Bolney Stage?

MoreThanPolish is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Sponsor
    Name
    Mark Wibberley

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    Today's 2019 calendar says Aug 3 Danesfield House Marlow which to me suggests only the date is new ?
    That's disappointing - I believe its time for a new venue, and a move a bit further north too (Northants always seems the perfect county for these type of events). I thought this was what the Club planned, sorry to mislead.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast