Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: coming back - but what model?

Name
    birdseye

Default coming back - but what model?

After a year away with an F type ( really good car but just not a Ferrari) I am selling up and coming back to Fezza land. Question is which car for my about £100k budget. It has to be convertible so the list looks like 360 ( maybe manual?) 430 or Cali.

Some will remember but most wont that I last had a 430 spider. It was a lovely faultless car but I read too much nonsense on the forums about clutches and exhausts and spent too many nights at 0300 hrs getting it all out of proportion. That said I am retired so running costs matter.

One question in my mind is how relaible would a 360 manual be? It is, after all, a car that now might be 15 years old and Italian electrics never have had a good rep. On the other hand its much simpler than a Cali and therefore less likely to need main dealer support as opposed to indie. Or even me in the garage.

I'd appreciate comments particularly from those who have owned more than one of the three.

And of course if anyone has a suitable car for sale .....

jos is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Would a manual 360 feel even older older having first had the 430F1 then gone to a far more modern F type ?

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

If you're to overcome your fears you've got to stop listening to Clarkson style soundbites and believing everything you read on forums! (except this one ) and get real world views from real owners

Ferrari/ Italian electrics were considered bad in the past but that pretty much ended in the 80's, by the 90's they were sorted and definitely no worse than other makes, indeed they are considerably better than 2004 on Landrover product!

California roof - there's been a few failures, seemingly mostly in the States, given the number of Californias built it's a tiny failure rate and other than that it's a pretty bullet proof car, but I'd probably have a warranty, perhaps from Warranty direct rather than Ferrari

360s seem pretty bullet proof with the main wear items being suspension joints, seek out Mike1606's posts on his car - albeit an F1 but it'll give you a good idea of a car that is used and not a garage queen

430 I drove one back to back against the California (gen 1) and the California was streets ahead in every respect on performance/ comfort/ handling

I'm sure I posted before either here or on PH but I've now done over 160k Ferrari miles across 15 different cars and 21+ Years, in that time I've had a miniscule number of component failures outside of consumables and wear and tear

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

California!

For that budget thatís where my money would and probably will go next (but I canít let my 360 go). An original not a T though.
    Itís easy (and Iíve been there) to get spooked by what you read but I think youíll be unlucky to get a major issue on any car. Just go in eyes open with no regrets.

On the 360, it is getting old now. Iíve had mine 6 years and to keep it in good order it always needs something. For me thatís ok as I like working on it and Iím happy the attempt a lot of things.
    It needs quite a bit of work on the front/rear suspension and if I completely change all the joints and bushes etc parts alone will be >£5K. That said, apart from track rod ends Iíve never touched the suspension and if I fix whatís actually worn, itíll probably be about £1k.

Engines seem very strong and mine runs better now than when I bought it. Iím sure they only really start to loosen up at 40k.
    The five valve motors do sound good
    Clutches are a moot point. If you read my thread in the running reports, I put a 23k mile clutch back in after checking it. If you read others theyíre like weetabix and last 5 minutes.

Electronics no issues and Iíve never seen a CEL but things like immobilisers and ECUís will become an issue in the future but thereís also plenty of cars around for parts.

Gearbox seems solid. I have a slight leak on the F1 actuator which Iím just monitoring but it can be rebuilt for about £1500 plus installation.
    The transmission coolers can fail and mix coolant with the gear oil. Lookout for that along with weak synchroís.

Trim is OK but some cars particularly Crema can look very tatty. Mines dark blue which hides any wear well like black.

So 360ís are approaching 20 years old and like anything of that age maintenance will need keeping on top of.
    £3k per year is what I budget which is far more than what a Cali should cost you.

If youíre serious speak to Tim Walker at Walkersport to see if he has any cars available or Aldous at AV Engineering.

Another option Iíd seriously consider for your budget would be a 328. It depends if you want a classic or newer car but they are a long-term better bet than anything newer.

M

Name
    birdseye

Thanks for the comments. The Cali vs 360 / 430 is a bit of a head and heart thing. Common sense says Cali. Heart says sports car. And usually when I decide on being sensible rather than following my heart, I end up regretting it.

It doesnt help that the Cali received a poor reception much like the 348 did. Whether deserved or not, this will impact on resale values. But with a dog and 4 grandkids, the 2+2 aspect is worth a lot.

I like a bit of tinkering with the car but my days of stripping down engines are behind me. So I did the ball joints on the 430 but wouldnt want to do anything much more difficult. My thoughts were that the 360 being a lot less "electronified" would be simpler to tinker with even if requiring more tinkering. Does that make sense?

A348W is offline Remember the Alamo! Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Probably a good time to step into a Cali next year as people swap them in for the Portofino.

Or you could squeeze a 348 and 456 for your budget Something for the weekend sir and mr sensible during the week with dog and grandkids!! (And no I wasnt thinking about maintenance costs etc!)

In all seriousness youve not mentioned a 355?

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I think that at the 360 point, Ferrari had realised that German designed and made electrics (Mainly Bosch) were much better than anything made by Italian factories, so the days of all the electricity getting lost somewhere in the car were pretty much long gone.

If you compare the design of good and bad electronic components then its easy to see why the German stuff is streets ahead. e.g German design would be a set screw into a threaded sleeve bonded onto the plastic moulding, French cars had self tappers screws holding bits of inferior grade plastic together that would go brittle after a year and then crack apart from the pressure of the screw.

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post

It doesnt help that the Cali received a poor reception much like the 348 did. Whether deserved or not, this will impact on resale values. But with a dog and 4 grandkids, the 2+2 aspect is worth a lot.
    Sorry if you think I'm being blunt but here you go again reading forums and building a picture in your own mind rather than looking at the facts!!.

All the 'it's a girls car', 'it's not a sports car', 'it's not a Ferrari' comments are just bollocks yet you choose to believe them and create a negative story in this case resale value

The reality is Cali's residuals have been astonishingly good - a good sensible mileage gen 1 is still £90k+ from a reputable source, this it the price they were in 2012/13 for 2009/10 car and represents a depreciation curve that most manufacturers would love to have.

If as you suggest the California is the best choice to suit your lifestyle then just go and buy one or you'll die before you ever make a decision let alone enjoy one

swnyradar is offline Wannabe supercar BMW M3 Club Member
    Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    just go and buy one or you'll die before you ever make a decision let alone enjoy one

+1000

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    I think that at the 360 point, Ferrari had realised that German designed and made electrics (Mainly Bosch) were much better than anything made by Italian factories, so the days of all the electricity getting lost somewhere in the car were pretty much long gone.
    I think they went the German route well before the 360 - my 348 has quite a lot of Bosch in there, in fact the majority seems to be Bosch. Not sure when the switch from Italian to German came but it wasn't with the 360.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast