Thread: Ferrari 575 Superamerica Buying advice?

Name
    lamo22xx

Default Ferrari 575 Superamerica Buying advice?

Hello,
    Looking for some advice/experiences some of you may have. I am looking at buying a 575 Superamerica. Has anyone owned/driven one? What are they like? What is the gearbox like? I had a 2003 360 Modena (So it had the “newer software”) & I wasn’t a huge fan of that gearbox, whereas I like the gearbox in my Enzo. The calibration seems to be much better in the Enzo.
    I’ve heard the Superamerica’s roof can have issues, such as it leaks & the mechanism can fail. Anyone know if this is true?
    Any other advice/experience is much appreciated
    Thanks

jos is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Very limited knowledge pool in the UK - you'd be better off asking at Ferrarichat about the roof

Never really had a problem with my regular 575F1 gearbox/clutch - uphill three (and the rest...) point turns can give rise to a smell of burning clutch but it always recovered and I think mine just sold on with the best part of fifty thousand miles on the clutch even so

One drove past me yesterday and I felt a yearning to return.....

milkshaker0007 is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    paul

If your a member of the FOC, drop Pete an email who runs the Cotswold area as I believe one of his members has one.
    He has showed it the last two years at Prescott hill climb
    I spoke to the owner on the roof and we were having a laugh about the design as it flips over, so what ever is on top (water/leaves) drops onto your head in the car or all over the seats, apart from that he said it was fine, no issues.
    A unique design when you see it in motion.

A348W is offline Remember the Alamo! Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

I believe, if my memory will work today, there is one in the private collection at the Classic Motor Hub. Could be worth a call, or not!

Name
    cgt

The main issue (which Ferrari does not like discussed) is the roof would suffer from minute cracks that in extreme cases could lead to shattering. I looked at an SA years ago that had early signs of this and was quoted £25k to fix.

This was a problem on the SA from new and Ferrari was even funny about covering it under warranty when new so be careful of that as cars are now over a decade old.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Name
    ian

When i was looking for one before we got the 550 they were rare as hens teeth, loads were being bought by collectors and put in storage i was told, one chap i was put in touch with had three!!
    And i was also warned about the flip roof problems, that and problems of finding one alas put me off ..

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

For the same money you can buy a 'standard' 575 and have a 458 Spider as well. I'd say the 575 tin top would make a better GT than the Superamerica and a 458 Spider will definitely make a better open top sportscar. That said, if a Superamerica is what you want then crack on and enjoy it.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 08-11-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Found this RHD in classic throttle shop Sydney earlier....

Name:  IMG_0671.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  38.5 KB

Roof detail

Name:  IMG_0672.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  64.7 KB

Delam of the electro-chromatic roof?

Name:  IMG_0675.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  43.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk