Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supercar and roadtrip or......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Default Supercar and roadtrip or......

Since I saw the "Supercars and Road Trips" thread, it seemed like a good place to ask for some advice.....

This year, I will officially be old (milestone birthday). My tentative plan was to celebrate it by taking the 360 to Europe for a month (or maybe even 6 weeks) - assuming my company will let me take some unpaid leave, since I don't want to use all my holiday up.

However - although I'm sure we won't all be banned from driving in Europe, I'd want to go in May - and Brexit makes me nervous. Added to that, the Supercar weekend has moved forward this year, which means I'd have to be back by the start of June if I want to do that (which I do) - which means I'd need to go earlier than I really wanted. Plus - unpaid holiday makes the trip fairly expensive. And so far, I've been too lazy to plan it - I loved the trip I took to Italy in 2016, so I'd definitely go there again - but not sure where else (and although I enjoyed the trip, I didn't enjoy Italian driving).
    It was / is still my first choice though I think.

For a simpler life, the other alternative is a couple of weeks in the Maldives. Went in 2017 and liked it a lot - got a quote yesterday and it was less than I expected, so it is very tempting. In fact, perhaps I'd make it slightly more than 2 weeks.
    The catch with the Maldives is : I think I'd end up paying for the g/f - which seems a bit harsh when it's my birthday! Whereas the cost of a Europe trip in the Ferrari doesn't really change much with two people. Plus, I'd be driving a Ferrari.....

Any thoughts? I must admit, the Maldives quote I got was about £2k less than I was expecting - so whereas I was thinking a quote would rule it out, I've actually found it's tempting me a lot!

A348W is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Thoughts....do both

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Two weeks sitting on a beach, bored, wishing I was driving my Ferrari in the manner intended; or driving said Ferrari in the manner intended....

Your choice

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Maldives and a shorter road trip. Which Island did you go to last time?

If you didn't enjoy Italian driving, don't EVER go to Bali.

Name
    Dave

I must admit - both is tempting. I've mailed my boss and said I want 6 weeks off - am considering a month in Europe and 2 weeks in the Maldives (Kuramathi).

But, I've realised there is a problem. If I leave Easter Weekend, it's too early for the mountain passes - which means my holiday in Europe might not get me much further than Calais. Even if I did the Maldives for the first 2 weeks (I'd much rather it was at the end), early May still seems too early to get over the mountains.

Name
    Dave

I assume that if I drove down through France towards Spain, then along the coast to Italy, I could avoid the Alps?
    Then could head towards Austria on the way back - Graz looks like it's away from the mountain and could maybe do Vienna on the way back too.

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    I must admit - both is tempting. I've mailed my boss and said I want 6 weeks off - am considering a month in Europe and 2 weeks in the Maldives (Kuramathi).
    Kuramathi looks lovely, a little further north than the islands we've been to over the years. Maldives is a country (weather-wise) that's best visited early in the year though to enjoy clearer skies, less breeze and for us at least, great visibility underwater (if you didn't learn to dive over there, why not?!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    An alternative is to do a euro road trip in a cheaper fun car, and just book a ferry crossing and the time off work. Go where you like, dont worry about the car getting dented, stay in any hotel and just dump the car in the street anywhere when you stop over.
    I get what you're saying but what a waste. For me at least, to do the road trip in another car would be a total non-starter. Surely trips like this are the best thing about sports car ownership when day to day driving in modern Britain is so dreadful.
    Last edited by Kyodo; 22-01-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

A good off-piste recommendation Mark....Iíll second Sardinia.....beautiful place and still relatively quiet...(I guess outside of August although that is when we were there).
    Porto Cervo is expensive but if you like people watching and big mega yachts, well worth a visit.

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    A good off-piste recommendation Mark....Iíll second Sardinia.....beautiful place and still relatively quiet...(I guess outside of August although that is when we were there).
    Porto Cervo is expensive but if you like people watching and big mega yachts, well worth a visit.
    Thanks. We were there late May this year and it was very quiet apart from the touring motorbikes (Sardinia isn't a secret anymore with bike clubs). Many visitors seem to visit the resort areas of the north but there's much more to the island than that. We stayed in Cala Gonone (the Gulf of Orosei area), about half way down on the east coast, mountains on one side and the ocean on the other.

As you know, it's utterly beautiful and has the loveliest waters I've seen outside of the tropics. Plus, you can hunt down the locations from the 'Spy who loved me'!

Do it Dave, do it. Be our Ferrari Guinea pig

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    Thanks. We were there late May this year and it was very quiet apart from the touring motorbikes (Sardinia isn't a secret anymore with bike clubs). Many visitors seem to visit the resort areas of the north but there's much more to the island than that. We stayed in Cala Gonone (the Gulf of Orosei area), about half way down on the east coast, mountains on one side and the ocean on the other.

As you know, it's utterly beautiful and has the loveliest waters I've seen outside of the tropics. Plus, you can hunt down the locations from the 'Spy who loved me'!

Do it Dave, do it. Be our Ferrari Guinea pig
    I've re-jigged the plan and dumped some of the Italian places I was planning to visit. Added 7 nights in Sardinia.

I haven't looked in detail where we'd stay, but based on your photo Cala Gonone does look promising, and has the advantage that it's only ~60 miles from the port.
    G/F is currently not working thanks to a broken leg (amazing that you can still skive off for a leg you broke in February) - so I've told her to start looking up hotels. I want a rough total for the trip before I decide whether it's a good idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast