Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercar and roadtrip or......

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

OK - this is the route I plan to start pricing up hotels for - although once I see the total, I may decide it's cheaper to stay at work.
    All nights are now used up.

Vasto replaces Amalfi, with a night added for Pompeii. Hallstatt is added to Austria (looks lovely, and breaks up the long drive). Postojna is added to Slovenia (cave looks cool), and Mike persuaded me to try out Pula since it looks interesting.

Total mileage estimated at 3,710 according to Google - guess you can add 1k miles for incidentals and getting lost!

Name:  Holiday route.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  79.5 KB

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

You certainly don't mess about Dave

Personally I'd book rooms that are cancellable so you have some flexibility once travelling. Doing it now means you'll probably pay no more.
    If you don't use one already use a cashback referring site such as topcashback or quidco. It's just an a extra click and I got over 350 back from my recent trip to Oz. It takes a while before they credit it but it's free money towards the fuel bill....

Name
    Dave

Cancellable is a good idea - means I have some flexibility while there. I need things planned - so need them booked before I go - but nice if we have the option to stay somewhere a bit longer if we choose to.

Just booked the first hotel, which was a bargain........ but it's only the Folkestone Premiere Inn. This far ahead, only 40 for flexible (so I can cancel if I decide the trip is too expensive) which I thought was pretty good for the Sat night of a BH weekend.

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Looks like a great trip...jealous!!!

Maybe I can get you to sort me trip to Monaco next year

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

I used booking.com for my hotels, as has been said being cancellable is brilliant - even up to 2pm on day of arrival. Very handy when I popped a driveshaft on the Col de Turini and had 3 unexpected nights in Nice (but had to cancel my Nurburgring plans).

I'll check my notes from my past trips and see what I can find about Germany - there's lots of lovely little towns you can choose. From memory Rothenburg is very pretty, and likely to have a beer hall like the rest of them!

Name
    jos

Hotel Bayerischer Hof Kempten

Useful location and excellent food plus parking

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    Cancellable is a good idea - means I have some flexibility while there. I need things planned - so need them booked before I go - but nice if we have the option to stay somewhere a bit longer if we choose to.

Just booked the first hotel, which was a bargain........ but it's only the Folkestone Premiere Inn. This far ahead, only 40 for flexible (so I can cancel if I decide the trip is too expensive) which I thought was pretty good for the Sat night of a BH weekend.
    We often use this place about 5 mins from the Coquelle tunnel terminal....very convenient and clean and you can even charge your Tesla with the superchargers in the car park

http://www.inter-hotel-calais.com

It allows a quiet, late crossing and an early start in the morning without the tunnel pfaff

Name
    Dave

Browsed some hotels / B&Bs last night, and the total wasn't bad - although you really do have to be careful with the "free parking" on trip advisor. One hotel looked promising until I found a comment in one of the reviews suggesting that it was in a long, very narrow garage - with the cars stacked up behind each other. Which meant that you had to give the owner the keys so that they could "move your car if the one behind you wanted to get out". Er..... no thanks.

My gut feeling this morning is that I want to do this trip - but I may postpone it to later in the year. Although I'd like to do it over my birthday (May), it feels a bit rushed - particularly since I need to get my time off approved first - and the timing means I will miss other car things I'd like to attend (Motors by the Moat, and the Supercar weekend).

I'm going to sleep on it over the weekend and then decide on Monday whether to start booking or not.

Much as I'd like to be away on my birthday, I am sadly somewhat older than an age where I need my birthday present (to myself) on my actual birthday!

Name
    Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Personally I'd avoid Geneva and stay in one of the lower level alpine villages in the area or even Annecy on the NE side of the lake.. Also have you thought of running through into Croatia? I've often fancied it and Pula is only just over the border but I've heard mixed reviews of Croatia in general. The coast look fabulous, but away from the tourist areas it's apparently still a bit eastern bloc.
    I've no experience of Austria other than ski resorts but want to spend quite a bit of time there in the Summer in the near future... Although May will still have some snow at higher level.

I loved Venice but are you on your own? It's definitely a couples place.....

I'd spend a bit of time on picking nice drives and join those together with hotels.... When I took mine over we did too much motorway, mainly because of the distances we had to cover.
    I would be careful with the passes in Switzerland. Sometimes they don't open until late June.

Name
    Dave

I ditched Geneva when I was working out hotels last night. I remembered why I didn't like Switzerland on the 2016 trip - twice the price of the same thing in any other country, and no better for it.
    I chose somewhere further into France. In theory, I guess it could still be a problem - however, the planned route shows me heading there on 12th / 13th June (from Turin) so there is a good chance it would be fine.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast