Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F355 possible handling issue

Name
    Jamie

Default F355 possible handling issue

Hello folks

I have an issue with my 355, or myself, I’m not sure which

Basically I find the car quite nervous on motorways, I feel much more stable in my daily car than I do the 355 at 70+mph which I don’t think should be the case however it is a 90’s supercar and I’m sat a lot lower than my daily which may just make me feel less at ease, I’m not sure.

Once I hit 70/80 I find I have to be very delicate with the steering

Also, if say I’m cruising at say 60-70 and then plant the throttle, the rear end feels very twitchy, almost like torque steer although I’ve never experienced torque steer whilst at motorway speeds.

My tyre pressure are ok, set to the recommended pressures 32/28

does this sound normal?

jos is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

How old are the tyres ? If its more than five years thats a possible cause

Name
    Carper Mike

Weird ..... i admit my tyres are quite a bit over 5 years old ( ) but my 355 is nevertheless the most planted car i have ever driven at 70 - 90 MPH in a straight line.

Geometry ? / suspension ? on your car perhaps ?

How long have you owned it ?

Is this a new feeling from a car that used to feel OK or just a new feeling from a new to you car ?

Name
    Ian

The only nervousness Iíve experienced is when there is heavy tramlines in the first lane. Mine feels quite relaxed when cruising. They obviously will change direction much quicker than a normal salon but nothing I would describe as twitchy. Perhaps itís worth a camber/ alignment check.

Name
    Jamie

3 are 2016, 1 is 2014 which is a rear tyre.

I had the replaced 2016 rear tyre knifed whilst parked, the new tyre is same make and model as the others though, I didnít realise till a few days later it was 2014

Name
    Jamie

Itís diffucult to say if this is a new issue, I bought the car last October.

The drive home was quite heavy rain so I wasnít pushing along the motorway, Ive no proper experience on the motorway prior to getting the rear tyre replaced

I will book it in for an alignment, I assume a 4 wheel alignment is in order?

Name
    Carper Mike

I would suggest take it to a main dealer / decent indie dealer and ask for the experienced service guy to take it for a drive with you as a passenger.

These guys drive many of these cars every day so should be able to let you know pretty much straight away if there is a problem, and what it likely is / or if it is normal.

My 2p worth

Name
    Carl

When replacing the tyres on these, it's always worth doing in pairs. Evens so get the geometry checked as well. I replaced 2 rears and found it very twitchy to start and similar to what you experienced. I had the geometry re set and transformed it. Mines a 348 but the principles the same.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

1) personally I’d replace the rears. Tyres should always be replaced in pairs on any car, and especially a performance car.

Even if they are the same make of tyre they do tinker with the compounds. Give the manufacturer a call and ask; if they are Pirelli they are very helpful.

2) As above re alignment; will more than likely be out and if it’s not the cause it will certainly contribute to it. They will also check the ride height as well.

3) really good suggestion re a ride with the technician.

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Which tyres, type and size, directional or assymetric are fitted to the car?.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast