Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: F355 possible handling issue

Name
    Jamie

Yes.

Didn’t realise till just now that’s what the M+S stands for, so they are winter tyres?

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Red355 View Post
    Ok potentially annoying issue.

Left Front - Michelin pilot sport A/S 225/40 ZR18 88y M+S , rotational (arrow forward) 2016

Right Front - Michelin pilot sport A/S 225/40 ZR18 88y M+S , rotational (arrow forward) 2016

Left Rear - Michelin pilot super sport 265/40/ZR18 101y XL. “Outside”. 2014

Right rear - Michelin pilot sport * 265/40/ZR18 97Y “outside”. 2016

It appears my replacement tyre isn’t a like for like, with the tyre being a super sport with 101y XL.

I had to be recovered roadside, the garage I was taken to looked at the tyre and said they could order one in that same afternoon, I should have been more observant I know,

Any thoughts?
    Clearly you need to resolve the rears so they're the same, the XL tyre will have a stiffer side wall so could easily be causing the handling problem. The fronts seem to be an all season tyre and I'd reckon significantly unmatched to the rears in terms of performance, I'd definitely be replacing those with something more suitable

Name
    Jamie

So a full set of tyres are needed ideally.

Which tyres suit the car well? A full set of pilot super sports are coming in at £690.

Name
    Jamie

Also am I correct in assuming that in the front tyre size they will be directional and the tears will be assymetric?

Otherwise how else will I know when ordering? For instance on black circles Theres no info about this

Name
    Mark Collins

Tyre tech has moved on a lot but I'd be wary of moving from the setup of directional on the front and Assymetric on the rear.

Original equipment were Pirelli PZero

Fronts https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134..._Noise%3A_71dB

Rears https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s371..._Noise%3A_72dB

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I have never been impressed with any car fitted with Pirelli tyres. In fact I wouldnt have them on my car if they were free

Tyre Tec has moved on so much since the car was built you wont be able to replicate whatever the car was originally designed for. Pilot Super Sports are just brilliant wet or dry, and I wouldn't hesitate to fit a new full set.

Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    Tyre tech has moved on a lot but I'd be wary of moving from the setup of directional on the front and Assymetric on the rear.

Original equipment were Pirelli PZero

Fronts https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134..._Noise%3A_71dB

Rears https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s371..._Noise%3A_72dB

Sorry the rears I linked to are the wrong load rating you'd need these which are a later tyre design but still Assymetric and Pirellis https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s371..._Noise%3A_73dB

My experience with Pirellis over probably 12 of the 16 Ferraris I've owned has not reflected Simon's, for me they seem to be good tyres with excellent grip in both wet and dry, both my 355' had them and they were used a lot on road and track. I currently have supersports on 2 cars (1 Ferrari) and can attest they're a brilliant grippy tyre although known to be poor in the wet when they wear, I'd have no qualms about fitting them to a modern car like my 458 but I'd be nervous they'd be too grippy for the 355 and may spoil the purity plus they're an Assymetric tyre so moves away from the original setup and I'd worry you may introduce other handling issues

Name
    Jamie

I will do a little research on what may be best for myself, I appreciate your opinions on tyre choice and anybody else who may have some input on the matter.

So in conclusion, with the current tyre setup I posted, could this explain my issue with the car at speed? Ive not had any concerns with “normal” road driving as I’ve not pushed the car yet.

I still plan on having 4 wheel alignment aswell as new tyres.

Name
    Jez Moore

I have just ordered a set of Michelin Super sport Tyres for my 355.
    101 load on the rear 88 load on the front
    The wheels are going off for refurbishing shortly, and I shall be be back on the the road in April
    I did consider sticking with the OEM Pirelli set up currently fitted, but I decided to try a more modern design. After reading Marks comments I am a bit concerned, and I hope that I haven't made a big expensive mistake. I will post up and report back when I have tried them out.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Moore View Post
    I have just ordered a set of Michelin Super sport Tyres for my 355.
    101 load on the rear 88 load on the front
    The wheels are going off for refurbishing shortly, and I shall be be back on the the road in April
    I did consider sticking with the OEM Pirelli set up currently fitted, but I decided to try a more modern design. After reading Marks comments I am a bit concerned, and I hope that I haven't made a big expensive mistake. I will post up and report back when I have tried them out.
    I predict you will like them and will fit them on your daily as well

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123