Thread: Monaco Historique Grand Prix 2020

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Default Monaco Historique Grand Prix 2020

Ok, I know its a way of Ö 8th -10th May 2020 but...

I'm planning on doing a little road trip down to this as a) it looks great fun b) enjoy it before it gets too popular, and c) put some fun miles on the car! Ohhh and I have a signed, in triplicate, "permission slip" from the boss Although she wont be driving down she might fly down for the weekend!

A few questions people might be able to help me with please:

1) Any suggestions recommendations for hotels in either Nice or Monaco with decent parking? (I'm currently thinking Nice as its cheaper, nicer in my view and easy to get to Monaco via train. Having done this a few time for the superyacht show.)

2) Route, any suggestions of must drive roads? I'm currently thinking Portsmouth morning ferry and boot down to somewhere around Lyon for an overnight stop. Following day up into the hills via Grenoble and down to Nice/Monaco to enjoy the mountain roads. A couple/few days at the races/sights then return. I've not given the return journey any though as at worst can day trip back, but if hitting driving roads go via another route...suggestions?

4) A good satnav recommendation. Currently I'm using my iPhone but suspect a dedicated satnav would be better. Any views appreciated.

Thoughts much appreciated everybody!

PS Anybody interested in making this a CS "long weekend"?

Name
    jos

Was the last CS w/end at the Historique really 2010.....

All the hotels will rip you off - we booked a Marriott (Riviera with parking just in France - 50 mtr) about a year in advance

Route Napoleon is the classic but loads of options have been previously posted

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

These trips reveal personal preferences of course, but since you are planning well in advance and you know Nice already, I suggest that you consider Villefranche sur Mer, Eze etcetera to the west of Monaco and Roquebrune/Cap Martin to the east. If you opt for the latter you can enjoy the company of Italian fans - always good company! Many hotels in the places I have suggested have private parking and the train access to Monaco is still on offer.

Name
    John Coventry

Default Satnav

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post

4) A good satnav recommendation. Currently I'm using my iPhone but suspect a dedicated satnav would be better. Any views appreciated.
    I have used Tom Toms for many years now, in the UK, France and Italy and they have always served me well. This is the current version of the one I have had for the last couple of years: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav...ducts/go-6200/
    Best wishes, John
    Ferrari: '98 550 Maranello S/N 110995, '73 Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
    Other - see http://bluebottleonline.com/

Name
    Adrian

Thanks for the tips, and seat suggestions in another thread.

Grandstand seats in K6 for Saturday and V for Sunday. Website is actually very good with pictures of the views from each grandstand. Not as cheap as I thought it would be; but should be good.

Apartment with its own garage booked in Nice, so car will be nice and safe. Garage even has a garden hose, so some cleaning might go on

Next up are ferry tickets when they become available, some route planning and crap safety stuff to keep the french rozzers happy!

Really looking forward to this. I know a lot of you have done a great deal of touring; but you will just have to put up with my enthusiasm and thread updates.

Name
    Silver360 owner

I,am in the process of getting a berth for my boat 🚣*♀️ in Port Hercule for the historic GP next May .
    Hopefully next to paddock near the Riva berths .The boatís a sexy looking Itama .

Current state of play after enquires I have been given a date mid December when the port office opens the bookings .
    Iíve been been a few times to the F1 GP on my boat and others boat(s) and plenty of times to both ports in Monaco in the summer .so Iam on there data base etc .

Sort of lost interest in the modern era .Road cars inc and getting into classic rallyís with my GT 4 Dino .
    If successful getting a berth we will be bringing the boat across from Italy where itís currently berthed and hang around the Cote d Azur for a few weeks or so .

Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Silver360 View Post
    I,am in the process of getting a berth for my boat 🚣*♀️ in Port Hercule for the historic GP next May .
    Hopefully next to paddock near the Riva berths .The boatís a sexy looking Itama .

Current state of play after enquires I have been given a date mid December when the port office opens the bookings .
    Iíve been been a few times to the F1 GP on my boat and others boat(s) and plenty of times to both ports in Monaco in the summer .so Iam on there data base etc .

Sort of lost interest in the modern era .Road cars inc and getting into classic rallyís with my GT 4 Dino .
    If successful getting a berth we will be bringing the boat across from Italy where itís currently berthed and hang around the Cote d Azur for a few weeks or so .
    Very nice boats If you need crew, somebody to laze around on the sun lounger, let me know (We have a Nautor Swan 441, so into sail, but I do love a beautiful motorboat!)

Be great to meet up for a sundowner, or two

Name
    Carina

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
    I have used Tom Toms for many years now, in the UK, France and Italy and they have always served me well. This is the current version of the one I have had for the last couple of years: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav...ducts/go-6200/
    The old TomTom XLs are great because you can upload ITN files to them, so you can plan every step of your route in detail on something like MyRouteApp rather than having to painstakingly do it on the device. Not many current generation satnavs will allow uploads, so we bought ours second hand on eBay.