Thread: can you quieten a tubi exhaust?

Name
    birdseye

Default can you quieten a tubi exhaust?

Been offered a 360 with an unacceptably loud Tubi exhaust. When I had a Harley with open pipes, I could quieten it down by inserting removeable baffles into the tail pipes. Anything like that for a Tubi?

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Been offered a 360 with an unacceptably loud Tubi exhaust. When I had a Harley with open pipes, I could quieten it down by inserting removeable baffles into the tail pipes. Anything like that for a Tubi?
    Just buy it and fit a standard exhaust. Many available. White dust problem easily solvable.

achaddy is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

Yep, easily swapped over so if rest of the car is good don't let it put you off.

I also have a stock exhaust that need to be re-homed.

Name
    birdseye

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Just buy it and fit a standard exhaust. Many available. White dust problem easily solvable.
    I remember reading that you could repack the standard exhaust - do you have a link?

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

I have a Stebro exhaust on my GT4. Stebro was a Canadian company - pretty much a one man band I think - and the old guy passed away some time ago and the company no longer exists. They made mainly bike exhausts.

The previous owner of my car, Mark 456M, installed this exhaust. It has removable baffles in the rear pipes. Supposedly they make it quieter. I am not so sure. In the past 5 years two have fallen out (they are secured by a small screw). Luckily my son's brother in law manufacturers "ricer" upgrade exhausts and made me a couple of new baffles, I say luckily because another one then disappeared. Hope they didn't hit anyone behind!

So my two replacements are now being utilised, and secured with Locktite. My son's brother in law is not keen to make any more as they were a real pain.

So do they make the noise any quieter? I really don't know. I never had them measured with 2 missing. And to honest I couldn't tell the difference when in the driving cabin.

My car is no doubt nowhere near as loud as a more modern one with a Tubi, but it is loud enough and makes people jump when it starts. I certainly wouldn't want it any louder just for my own ears while driving.

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    I remember reading that you could repack the standard exhaust - do you have a link?
    Iím sure Iíve posted it for you at least twice before
    See my Argento 360 thread and one started by geoffpfc on 360 silencers.

Iím doing another next month for a guy from Stafford.

Name
    birdseye

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Iím sure Iíve posted it for you at least twice before
    See my Argento 360 thread and one started by geoffpfc on 360 silencers.

Iím doing another next month for a guy from Stafford.
    Mike. I have no doubt you did post it before - you'll have to excuse an old fart who has lost memory as well as hair! And a few other bits but we wont go there.

I vaguely remember the exchange but I shall hunt up the thread and take it from there.