Thread: Ferrari Daily Driver - Heres Why & How Ive done it for 20 Years.

Name
    Scott

Default Ferrari Daily Driver - Heres Why & How Ive done it for 20 Years.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Good stuff. It's great to see a CS with a few battle scars

One thing I noticed and also on your other movies, please sort the sound out. If you're filming with a GoPro, just get a little plug-in external mic. It'll make the world of difference.

Keep it up

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Sorry to rain on someones parade but the 4 point harness just doesnt work with kids in the car. If you had a head on crash then her shoulders are so narrow the belts will do sod all even if they were tight, so she might as well not have them on. Also your own belts are loose (4 points in my 430 do exactly the same) so you need to tighten them up every time you put them on. If you have slack belts and have a crash you will face plant the car and may even have them roll off your shoulders. If you race cars those belts should be done up so tight they hurt !!

3 point belts are inertia reel so will take up some slack and on modern cars they have a device that tensions the belt on impact, but the crash test dummies still move forwards in the seat quit a lot.

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Sorry to rain on someones parade but the 4 point harness just doesnt work with kids in the car. If you had a head on crash then her shoulders are so narrow the belts will do sod all even if they were tight, so she might as well not have them on. Also your own belts are loose (4 points in my 430 do exactly the same) so you need to tighten them up every time you put them on. If you have slack belts and have a crash you will face plant the car and may even have them roll off your shoulders. If you race cars those belts should be done up so tight they hurt !!

3 point belts are inertia reel so will take up some slack and on modern cars they have a device that tensions the belt on impact, but the crash test dummies still move forwards in the seat quit a lot.
    As above

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post

Agree 100% I like harnesses precisely because long road based events at high average speed mean inertia reels are just not up to the job BUT harnesses have to be tight to work in significant impacts. I see so many who have them positioned dangerously wrong. Biggest issue of the many I have seen is that the horizontal belt should be first tightened low across the waist at just above hip level. Do this with the shoulder belts loose so you can get good purchase on each side to tighten and also have the buckle centralised. Then and only then should you shut the door, sit back and upright in the seat then tighten the shoulder straps so that a) you cannot slouch downwards and b) you donít pull the lap belt up beyond the horizontal and over your beer belly... if it does you didnít do the horizontal belt tight enough. The trick with shoulder belts is to deliberately place your head firmly on the seat head rest as you tighten. How tight is enough? As tight as you would want in any roller coaster with inversions! Once adjusted donít let anyone else faff with your belts and Always Always ensure you assist a passenger do theirs correctly too. Itís your responsibility in your ride.

The upside to all this of course is you really feel connected to your car and it becomes a more visceral experience if thatís your thing...

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Agree with the points on the harnesses - couldn't believe how slack he had them in the vid. I've got Sabelt 4-point harnesses in my JCW Mini, and do them up exactly as Mod says - the lap belt is a key part often overlooked.

The only downside I've found is the extra pressure on the bladder, means more frequent stops

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

IMO a great video Scott....

A really refreshing and different perspective on ownership.

If youíve noticed I still do a fair bit on mine myself, but Iím still finding the 360 quite expensive to maintain now itís getting towards 20 years old.

Name
    Scott

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    Good stuff. It's great to see a CS with a few battle scars

One thing I noticed and also on your other movies, please sort the sound out. If you're filming with a GoPro, just get a little plug-in external mic. It'll make the world of difference.

Keep it up
    Great feedback, ill try and get one

Name
    robert batt

Please can I revive this thread? It seems to have become about 4 point harnesses, whereas this OP has been daily driving a Challenge Stradale for 9 years and 50,000 miles!

This is the stuff of legends for me. Iíve just written a post on another thread about how Ferraris seem to prefer being driven vs being stored under a cover in a garage. But driving a CS daily is super cool. Thank you especially for the Ďbattle scarsí. Wouldnít it be great if we could be less precious about these cars? I drove my 360 to Modena for a service (and drive through the Alps) but most people were incredulous. As if they though that driving my Ferrari would damage it.

Thank you for your videos, and particularly for the F1 gearbox repair one which will help many owners avoid very expensive repairs.

You are a legend.