Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: All new cars to be speed limited

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Fortunately Toronto is only about 150,000 acres and Ontario is 266,000,000 acres. So lots of room for the rest of us

As I live on the M4 corridor and donít have a mobile signal at home, Iím
    not going to panic just yet
    The cottage in Dorset doesn't, nor street lights in the village. Nice to get away from it all sometimes!

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    The cottage in Dorset doesn't, nor street lights in the village. Nice to get away from it all sometimes!
    Street lights? Theyíve barely discovered electricity in some villages out here! I genuinely canít see Big Brother having much of an impact; theyíd watch for a few minutes and frankly get bored ****less.

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Street lights!! There for townies arenít they?

We donít have street lights in our village. Any nimbie that moves here and suggests them would probably get burnt at the stake where did I put the matches again?

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

I think we're a way off autonomous cars. I used to think they are around the corner but now reading up I am not so sure. The tech really is not good enough, responsibility is still being debated. I don't see them in the next 15 years.

Thinking about cars with mechanical pedals (using cables) it is not as easy to adapt to an electronic speed control. I doubt cars much older than 2005 would be compatible. I suspect the easier method is to restrict their use in some way. Time windows or total exclusion from certain roads/motorways.

This has made me seriously consider my next daily. The earliest I could change it is 2021 which is still outside of the obligatory speed management but if I leave it the max. four years.. Thing is I am enjoying this trouble free easy budget new car ownership.
    Maybe I'll just accept an EV which almost drives itself as my commute is almost the dullest in 38 years of working anyway. I even tried public transport commute for a while.

It however reminded of how bad it was the other day when I took my 360 into Knutsford for a service. "Great" thought I, an adventure on the train and bus. Train was fine, however I am 25 miles from Knutsford in the car which is 45 minutes in traffic. 3 hours 30 minutes using public transport including about 45 minutes walking with a 20 minute stop over for lunch in Manchester.

To add insult to injury Google says it's only 6 hours 7 minutes to walk

All this public transport blah blah is because autonomous cars are the complete wrong answer. What we are trying to do is make an existing model fit with new tech. Anybody who is in IT or Project management knows that is the wrong way. You have to change/adapt to a new way of working. Making the application fit the current model is much more difficult.
    The answer is decent regular plentiful public transport. Trains run on rails which are almost autonomous. Busses/trams do. Part of that journey home uses a guided busway (should have been made into tram lines but that's an argument for elsewhere).

The only problem is how do you get from your front door to the pick-up point and drop-off to work if you're a bone idle lazy git . That has to be easier than autonomy. Instead of building more roads we could improve the quality of the existing as there would be less traffic.

It's an old method but one that can work. Who's going to do it?

Of course there is always the Uber model
    Last edited by MalcH; 04-04-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Name
    Mark

I agree - autonomous cars aren't going to appear any time soon.
    I don't see older cars being limited: just tracked via GPS and automatically billed by an account (much like how congestion charging currently works). Speed infractions and licence points can be automated and charged the same way.

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    I think we're a way off autonomous cars. I used to think they are around the corner but now reading up I am not so sure. The tech really is not good enough, responsibility is still being debated. I don't see them in the next 15 years.

Thinking about cars with mechanical pedals (using cables) it is not as easy to adapt to an electronic speed control. I doubt cars much older than 2005 would be compatible. I suspect the easier method is to restrict their use in some way. Time windows or total exclusion from certain roads/motorways.

This has made me seriously consider my next daily. The earliest I could change it is 2021 which is still outside of the obligatory speed management but if I leave it the max. four years.. Thing is I am enjoying this trouble free easy budget new car ownership.
    Maybe I'll just accept an EV which almost drives itself as my commute is almost the dullest in 38 years of working anyway. I even tried public transport commute for a while.

It however reminded of how bad it was the other day when I took my 360 into Knutsford for a service. "Great" thought I, an adventure on the train and bus. Train was fine, however I am 25 miles from Knutsford in the car which is 45 minutes in traffic. 3 hours 30 minutes using public transport including about 45 minutes walking with a 20 minute stop over for lunch in Manchester.

To add insult to injury Google says it's only 6 hours 7 minutes to walk

All this public transport blah blah is because autonomous cars are the complete wrong answer. What we are trying to do is make an existing model fit with new tech. Anybody who is in IT or Project management knows that is the wrong way. You have to change/adapt to a new way of working. Making the application fit the current model is much more difficult.
    The answer is decent regular plentiful public transport. Trains run on rails which are almost autonomous. Busses/trams do. Part of that journey home uses a guided busway (should have been made into tram lines but that's an argument for elsewhere).

The only problem is how do you get from your front door to the pick-up point and drop-off to work if you're a bone idle lazy git . That has to be easier than autonomy. Instead of building more roads we could improve the quality of the existing as there would be less traffic.

It's an old method but one that can work. Who's going to do it?

Of course there is always the Uber model
    Completely agree, but the problem is we are reliant on Councils making intelligent decisions and that in itself is an oxymoron.

Bristol is a great example; one road in from the north from the M4/M5 and that's the M32, goes right into the centre of town. Common sense would say that there is a park and ride at the top of the M32 with a dedicated bus lane all the way in. But what do we have...lovely traffic jams! My local Junction, J19, again common sense would say, lets create a free car park for car sharing. What do we have, everybody who wants to car share parking in the ditch or up the grass verges, complete mess in the mornings!

Until such time that intelligent people grace council offices, we will be left with the mess that we have....so forever in other words.

In the interim there is still plenty of fossil fuels to be burnt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123