Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 550 Maranello tyres - limited choice?

Bluebottle is offline Pink pimped up Vauxhall Corsa Club Member
    Name
    John Coventry

Default 550 Maranello tyres - limited choice?

I am going to need a new set of tyres for my 550 later this year. Currently on fairly old Michelin Pilot Sports. I don't use my car on track and don't drive like a complete maniac on the road and pretty much any decent make of tyre should give me as much dry grip as I need, so wet weather performance is the highest priority. Everything I read seems to suggest that Michelins are what I want.

Pilot Super Sports are presently available in the right sizes (255/40x18 and 295/35x18), but Michelin appear to have dropped these from their range, so for how long will they be available? If I had a puncture a couple of years down the line, I would not want to have to replace two tyres.

PS4s, which I believe are the replacement for Super Sports, are available in the right size for the front, but not for the rear - the widest size is 275/35x18.

Should I go for SSs, and hope for the best?

How would the car feel if I were to have PS4s on the front and SSs on the rear (which would partially solve the issue of non-availability of SSs in the future, at least at the front end)?

What effect would it have if I were to fit 275/35s at the rear?

Any other ideas?

All suggestions / advice welcome.
    Best wishes, John
    Ferrari: '98 550 Maranello S/N 110995, '73 Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
    Other - see http://bluebottleonline.com/

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Hi John,

You definitely shouldn't fit the 275/35, it'll change the rear rolling radius and potentially upset the balance. The Supersports are a different compound to the PS4s so not sure mixing them is a good idea. Anything available from Bridgestone or Pirelli?

Name
    Jez Moore

Camskill list the Bridgestone RE050A Potenza in the sizes quoted above with a 99Y load and speed rating
    You’d have to check suitability, I hope this helps

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

When I got my 550 10yrs ago it came with P Zeros fitted and I replaced with the same when the time came. Was never very comfortable with them in the wet on the motorway however so the next set was Potenza and these were terrible, scared me to death on a wet motorway.
    Did a lot of looking around as the ferrari recommendations are now somewhat out of date and technology moves on. Had previously avoided Michelin due to their higher cost but every fast car seems to be fitted with them these days so decided to get in touch with them. Lo and behold yes we do the sizes but only in a porsche spec 'not for Ferrari'. hmm?
    Well 'Porka' Pilot Sports got fitted and they are without doubt the best tyres I have had on the car, and I can confidently keep up with 3 series reps on a wet motorway now. This was about a year ago.
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward – just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Name
    John Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    Hi John,

You definitely shouldn't fit the 275/35, it'll change the rear rolling radius and potentially upset the balance. The Supersports are a different compound to the PS4s so not sure mixing them is a good idea. Anything available from Bridgestone or Pirelli?
    Your first point confirms my own view, so that is a non-starter. Thankyou for the second, so it's MPSS all round if I go with Michelin. Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 A and Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico come in the right sizes and appear to be still in production unlike the MPSS. Pirelli and Michelin are about the same price, Bridgestone about 15% cheaper. Reviews suggest MPSS is best, closely followed by Pirelli, with Bridgestone bringing up the rear.

I am veering towards Pirellis, on the basis of their still being in production, unlike the Michelins. Any thoughts?
    Best wishes, John

Name
    John Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Moore View Post
    Camskill list the Bridgestone RE050A Potenza in the sizes quoted above with a 99Y load and speed rating
    You’d have to check suitability, I hope this helps
    Thankyou.
    Best wishes, John

Name
    John Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by sweeni View Post
    When I got my 550 10yrs ago it came with P Zeros fitted and I replaced with the same when the time came. Was never very comfortable with them in the wet on the motorway however so the next set was Potenza and these were terrible, scared me to death on a wet motorway.
    Did a lot of looking around as the ferrari recommendations are now somewhat out of date and technology moves on. Had previously avoided Michelin due to their higher cost but every fast car seems to be fitted with them these days so decided to get in touch with them. Lo and behold yes we do the sizes but only in a porsche spec 'not for Ferrari'. hmm?
    Well 'Porka' Pilot Sports got fitted and they are without doubt the best tyres I have had on the car, and I can confidently keep up with 3 series reps on a wet motorway now. This was about a year ago.
    Now I'm veering back towards the Michelins!
    Best wishes, John

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Drive with Michelin in the wet ........... and you will wonder if Pirelli tyres are made out of recycled non stick frying pans

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Drive with Michelin in the wet ........... and you will wonder if Pirelli tyres are made out of recycled non stick frying pans

I have MPSS on my FF and BMW M140i, they're indeed a fantastic tyre although my experience of the Pirellis which I have on the 458 is somewhat less damning than Simon's .

I have Bridgestone's on our V8S Vantage and they'll be due for change soon, I'll certainly be looking at Michelins for that

Name
    Mike

I'd still go for the Super Sports.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast