Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I have a very expensive engine issue with my 360. Any ideas?

dave964 is online now No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Ok, saw it this morning. Not much to add to the photos that were already posted.

They have priced up the parts, although that will change since they're going to take Voicey's advice about the gasket set. However, based on the prices so far, it looks like £2,500 Inc vat should easily cover the parts. This includes (all +vat):

~£100 for 2 camshaft bearing shells - mine look scored
    ~£300 for 2 cam actuators (surprisingly cheap!)
    ~£670 for 8 exhaust valves
    ~£170 for 8 valve guides
    ~£100 for 2 cam belts

In addition to this is the head work - I don't have a price for that.
    Their labour estimate is higher than Voicey's - current guess is ~30 @£95 + vat an hour. So probably ~£3,500.

They will follow Voicey's advice and do a leak down test on the other bank. There is no reason to believe it will fail but it would be bad if it did since the bill would get a lot bigger.

Much to my surprise, as you face the back of the car it's the right bank which failed. I thought the noises were coming from the left one!

Whilst it's out, the silencer is going to be split and repacked - it looks like bloody Lapland in the engine bay and is even more noticeable with bits missing. Don't have a cost for that, but I assume at least a few hundred.

So, my current guess is ~£6k + head work + exhaust refurb. Maybe somewhere in the £7-8k region, but I'm hoping it will be less. It's still a significant bill, but if the damage was worse it could easily have been twice that so I suppose I have to look on the bright side. In any case, it's a lot less than it would have been if Sy hadn't told me to call Voicey, so I'm very grateful to both of them. It seems it would have been even cheaper if I'd moved it. If I keep the car, it may well be visiting AV for future servicing.
    Timescale is unknown, partly because no enquiries have been made about the head work yet.

Regarding posting about it - I wouldn't sell the car without making potential buyers aware of something like this, so it doesn't really make much difference to me. Although perhaps it will make it impossible to sell, which will persuade me to keep it - so maybe it's a subconscious plan!
    I haven't actually decided yet whether an unexpected ~£7.5k bill is an acceptable running cost. It will probably depend just how much it is, and whether any of my other cars throw big bills in the meantime.

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

Should be a rhetorical question and I may have missed the info somewhere, but I presume that it has been confirmed that the variator was indeed changed for the revised part at some of the earlier services chez Ferrari and the head was stamped?

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    Should be a rhetorical question and I may have missed the info somewhere, but I presume that it has been confirmed that the variator was indeed changed for the revised part at some of the earlier services chez Ferrari and the head was stamped?
    Yes. The actuator has the green dot on it and Ferrari confirmed it was done in July 2004.

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    Yes. The actuator has the green dot on it and Ferrari confirmed it was done in July 2004.
    Thanks Dave for the confirmation. All the best for the reconstruction.

Name
    Dave

Somewhat OT - but if there is such a thing as car karma, I must have done something very bad to a car at some point!

Whilst the Ferrari is currently dead, Alfa has thrown a check engine light twice this week (O2 sensor). Ok, not a big deal - it did it a couple of months ago so I was half expecting it. New sensor ordered.

So today, I left the Alfa at home and used the Aston for work. Our work car park has those (manual) post things which are lowered into the ground when the office is open, and raised when it's closed.
    I got here before the security guard opened the car park - when he did, I followed another car in. What I didn't notice, is that he hadn't closed the lid over the post - and although the entrance to the car park is flat, after the entrance it becomes a fairly steep downwards slope.
    Horrible scraping sound as I pulled in the car park, and it looks like it's bent one of the front mounting points for the rear undertray and probably ruined the undertray.

Out of 4 cars, I currently have 3 that have something stopping me from driving them - although admittedly the Alfa and Aston could be driven.

Decided to extend Easter weekend - tomorrow, I will be laying under an Aston, and Friday I will be replacing an O2 sensor on an Alfa....

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

You have no luck whatsoever. On a positive note, I left our car with QV to lend yours some moral support.

Name:  IMG_2899.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  87.3 KB

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    You have no luck whatsoever. On a positive note, I left our car with QV to lend yours some moral support.

Hmm.... Anybody know how much an engine swap costs?

Mike01606 is online now Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Number plate expertly washed out

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Number plate expertly washed out
    No, I took that and his tail pipes

Mike01606 is online now Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

No, I took that and his tail pipes

A pity you could render it onto a pile of bricks

#nowtheresachallenge

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast