Thread: 355 Won't start

Name
    Brian R

Default 355 Won't start

I am ashamed to admit that I have not started my 1999 355F1 for over a year! Last time was when the cracked windscreen was replaced; I had the dash out at the time replacing the gear selection LED and someone turned the ignition on without the dash being plugged in. Now the F1 gearbox light is on and no N - just a dash on the gear LED.

Although it spins over and I can smell petrol it won't fire up. The interior light is also on all of the time, so I am thinking door switch maybe? The immobiliser light also comes on full after about 6 or 7 seconds of cranking?

Any ideas please?

jos is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Default Welcome

This s a bit beyond my paygrade but as you note one suspect could be the light and an pen door but I'd also wonder if the immobiliser is not disarming

Name
    Brian R

Bit more info after further checks, the interior light was just switched on, doh!

The immobiliser light, when disarmed, comes on for 6 seconds as it is supposed to, goes out for 2-3 seconds supposedly doing the self diagnosis checks and then comes back on permanently indicating a door, bonnet or boot open - obviously all are closed and the switches appear to work on open circuit so quite simple - I guess there must be something else that triggers the light also?

Name
    Ian Riddell

Quote Originally Posted by BRST08 View Post
    Bit more info after further checks, the interior light was just switched on, doh!

The immobiliser light, when disarmed, comes on for 6 seconds as it is supposed to, goes out for 2-3 seconds supposedly doing the self diagnosis checks and then comes back on permanently indicating a door, bonnet or boot open - obviously all are closed and the switches appear to work on open circuit so quite simple - I guess there must be something else that triggers the light also?
    Are you sure an open door/bonnet/boot triggers the light on disarm? They may trigger the alarm and light when the alarm is armed, but once deactivated, door, bonnet and boot shouldn't worry it. It may be that your siren battery has expired and is now leaking. It's a common problem.

The F1 has to be in N for the starter to crank, so at least the car thinks that you are in neutral (even though the display doesn't show this). I've just been told that the immobiliser won't stop the engine starter cranking on an F1 (It will on a gated 5.2 car), so it's quite possible the immobiliser is still trying to stop you.

Anyway, go through the basics. Seems like you have fuel. Do you have any way of checking for spark?
    Last edited by Qavion; 30-06-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Name
    Ian Riddell

I just checked my 5.2 car and the alarm light extinguishes with the immobiliser off (even with the doors, rear deck lid and front luggage compartment open). Seems you have other immobiliser issues. I can't say for sure that a faulty siren battery would stop the engine running though. Of course, it's possible you have more than one issue. After a year, the petrol will probably be dodgy (I'm not even sure if petrol with preservers/stabilisers will keep it good for that long). If there's condensation in the tank, it's probably all drained down to the bottom of the tank where the pump pickup is.

Quote Originally Posted by Qavion
    I've just been told that the immobiliser won't stop the engine starter cranking on an F1 (It will on a gated 5.2 car),
    I have to further refine that qualification... Possibly late '98 (and after) gated cars do crank with the immobiliser active. The earlier gated cars don't.