Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I have a very expensive engine issue with my 360. Any ideas?

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    Planning to call the bodyshop this afternoon - regardless of whether they've completed the bumper, I want to try and get it moved tomorrow.

One (possibly) significant point that I forgot to mention in the original post : I had no brake assistance at the pedal.

I think that when I first found I had no power, I still did. However, as I was getting to the paint shop and it wouldn't run above a very rough idle (probably only on the driver side bank), I found that the brake pedal was rock hard and I essentially had no braking.

So it seems that the vacuum to the brake system wasn't there. Where does this come from, and does the lack of vacuum give a clue to the running problems?
    The servo vacuum comes from a connection on the front of the intake plenum Dave.

Voicey gives good advice about not trying the start it at least until they've checked the engine integrity. Fingers crossed for you.

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Yeah, it's not going to be started again - just recovered to the service place.

Name
    Dave

OK, bodyshop have decided they don't want to work on a broken car - so it's being recovered in the next couple of hours. Should arrive back at the service centre by mid-afternoon.

Not convinced I'll get much update on it today - but the next update I give is likely to be the interesting one..... fingers crossed that it sounds worse than it actually is.

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    OK, bodyshop have decided they don't want to work on a broken car - so it's being recovered in the next couple of hours. Should arrive back at the service centre by mid-afternoon.

Not convinced I'll get much update on it today - but the next update I give is likely to be the interesting one..... fingers crossed that it sounds worse than it actually is.
    Fingers crossed for you Dave

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    Fingers crossed for you Dave
    +1

Name
    Dave

Car has arrived at QV and is up on a ramp.

It clearly isn't anything entirely obvious - because they just called to say they're going to take a look at the belt and make sure everything is still lined up as it should be.

Which concerns me a bit, because if it isn't it is likely to be very expensive. But also that their initial assessment of the problem has led them to check that rather than anything simple (and cheap)........

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Dave,
    It’d be the first thing they’d check if they suspected a valve timing issue based on what you told them.
    If the belt is in place then that is positive.

Name
    Mark

Based on the description I would check for any leaks in the post throttle body part of the inlet system. A major leak would cause the symptoms described and if an engine is struggling to idle there is always a bit of chuntering and sometimes a rattle from the power train.

It's best to check the simple things first, as above. Try not to be too concerned at this point.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

They probably want to check the belt/cam issues at an early stage , to get the confidence to run the car. They can also use an endescope to look through the plug holes and inspect the top of each piston for witness marks.

Name
    Dave

And the winner is.......

Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    Sorry to hear this Dave. I know the 360 had issues with the variators that controlled the variable cam timing, I wonder if it's that? it would mean some engine damage unfortunately
    Current ballpark estimate : ~£10k, but the engine hasn't been taken apart yet - that should happen by the end of next week. Estimated it will take 5-6 weeks IF Ferrari UK have all the necessary parts. If not - hopefully it's not true - but they heard from somebody yesterday that the factory has stopped shipping to the UK until Brexit is sorted......

I guess there might be nasty surprises once they have it apart, but hopefully that's as bad as the news gets.

I need to cancel some events the car was supposed to be at - including the supercar weekend, since even if it's back by the beginning of June I don't think I am ready to do it immediately after a £10k rebuild.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast