Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari Options?

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    I thought that....

Might have a look on my next trip over.
    Taxes and duties wonít help though....unless we have an FTA in place shortly, but I wonít be holding my breath!

And then you have to decide if you want to convert to euro spec so new bumpers, front side/ turn lights. There's been a couple of low mileage US cars for sale in the UK for at least 18 months and they're not shifting, priced around £65k IIRC

Name
    Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Given the ( silly) prices for 355s over here you could make a nice little business shipping them over.

What are the prices of the 458 Italia and 430 Scud over there?
    430 Scuds are selling in the $170-190k range and 458s are anywhere from $150k on up

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

I am on my second 308 so I may be ever so slightly biased......
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward Ė just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Name
    Jose Mollino

I would agree with most people here... both cars

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

As most have said, 458 & 308 without question.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    As most have said, 458 & 308 without question.
    Make sure you are fully aware of 458 gearbox issue before you commit as itís a £15k bill if not already done / covered. Itís subject to similar approach that they took on 430 manifolds. e.g. known weakness but not pointed out and only covered under official warranties.

Be careful out there.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Make sure you are fully aware of 458 gearbox issue before you commit as it’s a £15k bill if not already done / covered. It’s subject to similar approach that they took on 430 manifolds. e.g. known weakness but not pointed out and only covered under official warranties.

Be careful out there.
    It's only what I would like. I think I have personally almost given up on ever getting a 458. In fact I suspect my 360 will be the last.

Name
    Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Make sure you are fully aware of 458 gearbox issue before you commit as itís a £15k bill if not already done / covered. Itís subject to similar approach that they took on 430 manifolds. e.g. known weakness but not pointed out and only covered under official warranties.

Be careful out there.
    Thanks, I had not heard of the gearbox issue on the 458.

swnyradar is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    Thanks, I had not heard of the gearbox issue on the 458.
    I don't think there is an 'issue'. Comparing 430 manifolds to 458 gearboxes is Apples to Oranges.

Every F430 / Spider has manifold issues due to an inherent design fault in the mounting of the exhaust (Don't know if it applies to 430 Scuderia/16M).

I've never met a 458 owner with a gearbox issue or seen it reported on here. There has been a couple of reports on F-chat, these have been mainly internal sensors needing replacement on early models. I thinks it's a minuscule ratio in comparison and there's some serious high mileage cars on there at 100k+
    Last edited by swnyradar; 11-04-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by swnyradar View Post
    I don't think there is an 'issue'. Comparing 430 manifolds to 458 gearboxes is Apples to Oranges.

Every F430 / Spider has manifold issues due to an inherent design fault in the mounting of the exhaust (Don't know if it applies to 430 Scuderia/16M).

I've never met a 458 owner with a gearbox issue or seen it reported on here. There has been a couple of reports on F-chat, these have been mainly internal sensors needing replacement on early models. I thinks it's a minuscule ratio in comparison and there's some serious high mileage cars on there at 100k+
    FROM INDUSTRY REPORT (with comments)

“The 458 is basically a strong car but there are issues to look out for. There have been numerous reports of transmission failures for 2010-2011 model year Ferrari 458 Italias and for the same period, Ferrari issued a recall for a faulty crankshaft that can cause sudden engine seizure, possibly resulting in a crash. It was found that some crankshafts were machined incorrectly during manufacturing and need to be replaced. If the car you're looking at is from this period, make sure the remedial work was done. An issue that affected 2010-2014 model years was that the secondary component of the trunk latch may not release when car is stationary. And Ferrari issued a recall to 2010 458s due to the adhesive in the rear fenders. At high temperatures this adhesive can ignite, leading to a fire in the engine bay itself and potential loss of the entire car.

For those that end up buying an early 2010 or 2011 model year, the Ferrari 458 is actually considered a low maintenance car. Outside of routine service like oil changes, the 458 Italia needs little. The DCT transmission is built to last the life of the car and does not require clutch replacement. The brakes are standard carbon ceramic and also meant to the last the life of the car. [They don’t 30-35k is now known as the upper limit on rotor life and pads last 1/3rd of this or less] - but may have been trashed in track excursions. [Brakes last better on tracked cars as the highest wear rates are when outside the optimum operating window] Just like the previous Ferrari F430 model, the 458 Italia utilizes timing chains, not timing belts, and these don't require replacement either.

The interior is a bit of a mixed bag, with hardwearing fabrics alongside plastic finishes that can easily scuff. Check the body for parking damage as visibility isn't great to the rear three-quarters when you're manoeuvring into a space. Kerbed alloys are common as well. The Spider's fabric roof is not entirely fault-free and some owners have reported water ingress and cases of the mechanism jamming, so look for any interior water staining and check the seals with a fine-toothed comb. Check for uneven tyre wear, evidence of accident damage, wear to interiors not corresponding with the car's documented mileage and insist on a full service record.

Replacement Parts

(approx based on a 2012 458 Italia) Rear tyres will run you around £350 each, while an alternator is around £300. Should your camshaft position sensor go on the blink, you'll need around £75 to replace it although you'll pay many more times that figure in labour should you require a Ferrari dealer to diagnose your issue. A wiper blade is around £25. An appropriate battery will be between £150 and £180, but pricier brands can run to well over £200.

INSIDE INFO
    Note ALL recorded transmission failures were in very LOW mileage cars so again Ferrari testing regime is not fit for purpose as Italian test drivers seem incapable of replicating the ‘low mileage, low performance user’. Counter to the market wisdom these cars have been tested to be tough but become fragile if not used as intended. It’s a real issue hence the recall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast