Thread: 355 power seat issue

Name
    Jamie

Default 355 power seat issue

Hi

Ok so my up until recently both my seats have worked fine, my passenger seat still does!, the issue is with my drivers, now last time out I noticed it wasnít behaving properly, it wouldnít move as far forward as it should, was a good few inches further back than the passenger seat would reach, after a few backwards and forwards requests it went the same distance forward as the passenger seat.

Now however the drivers seat will not move at all, ive had a little nosey underneath best I can and everything looks like it is connected, except thereís a clear plug Which is disconnected under both seats which I assume is those seat sensors for the roof!

I have some questions

1) in between the seats there is that panel, which once removed has 2 fuses and 2 relays, I think one set is for the roof and the other the seats, is this the case that both seats share the same relay and fuse?

2) is there a way to manually move the seat? As it is now I donít see how I can remove the seat as I cannot move it to access the bolts ( I will attempt to rig a set of leads to the drivers motor to see if the motors ok, but would like a plan B if this isnít the issue)

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

I assume it's a Spider, it will be a failed potentiometer under the seat, it's a common problem, basically it disintegrates and the seat stops moving. IIRC if you take the small cover off the side of the centre console (passenger side) there's a switch/ method to make the seats move/ roof go down so you can access and replace the failed unit. Note you'll need somebody with a Ferrari SD1 diag tool to reset the forward and return positions

Name
    Jamie

Yes a spider

Are they not the clear/white plugs, both my seats have a clear/white plug disconnected.

I assumed my car had bypassed these sensors as I have to move the seats using the switches before I press the roof down switch

Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Red355 View Post
    Yes a spider

Are they not the clear/white plugs, both my seats have a clear/white plug disconnected.

I assumed my car had bypassed these sensors as I have to move the seats using the switches before I press the roof down switch

Ah probably yes, so the potentiometers need replacing and it sounds like the motor may have failed as well

Name
    Jamie

Iím hoping not as itís going to be a struggle removing the seat if I canít get access to the bolts!

Do you know if both seats share the same relay and fuse?

Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Red355 View Post
    Iím hoping not as itís going to be a struggle removing the seat if I canít get access to the bolts!

Do you know if both seats share the same relay and fuse?
    Sorry Jame I don't know the answer to that, might be worth taking a look on Ferrarichat or asking the question there, typically they tend to be a bit more DIY than we are over here

Name
    Ian Riddell

1) in between the seats there is that panel, which once removed has 2 fuses and 2 relays, I think one set is for the roof and the other the seats, is this the case that both seats share the same relay and fuse?
    The 30 amp fuse provides battery power to the relays for the roof motor. The 15 amp fuse provides battery power to certain components in the Roof Controller (pin D8). Surprisingly, the "AC System" fuse in the passenger footwell provides ignition key power to the console switches (for the roof and seats) and ignition key power to certain components in the roof controller (on pin B20). There may be another fuse providing power to the coils of the roof motor relays and to the secondary hydraulic actuators' solenoid valve "F1".

It doesn't sound like a power issue as your other seat is operating. I've seen seat problems caused by:

Seat potentiometers (no longer available, but usually repairable). I've been trying to contact a guy on one of the Jaguar forums (X308) as he 3D printed a component which frequently breaks (and is compatible with both Ferraris and Jags). I believe the potentiometers are required for both manual and automatic operation (but you may be able to get the seat to run in one direction with the potentiomter plug disconnected). Sometimes parts suppliers get their hands on rare Jag/Ferrari potentiometers, but they want crazy prices for them.

Mini-relays for seat power in the roof controller. These are readily available on eBay, etc, and can be changed by someone handy with a soldering iron.

Roof controller circuit board tracks breaking down (sometimes repairable, sometimes not)

Seat motor problems.

I'm not sure what the clear plug is (from memory). There is a black shorting/jumper plug under each seat which inhibits roof operation if disconnected.

The only way to more the seat is to apply 12v dc power directly to the motor plug.

Here's a diagram:

Roof/Seat Wiring Diagram

As F355GTS says, it's probably best to go to FerrariChat.

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Last edited by Qavion; 23-04-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Name
    Ian Riddell

For reference, the miniature seat control relays inside the roof ECU have the part number V23081-C1061-A303. V23081-C1059-A303 can also be used.