Thread: plate sizes

Name
    birdseye

Default plate sizes

I dont want to play "silly bu55ers" with the plates on my new to me 360, but I would like the front one to be sensibly neat in size. The reg number is two letters and two numbers. So what is a reasonable compromise that doesnt excite plod too much? 75% of the legal size?

KenC is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Ken

There are no rules on plate sizes. The rules relate to the size of the letters and numbers, the spacing between them and the margins to the edge of the plate. As a result the minimum size will depend upon the number of digits and if any of them is a 1.

jos is online now Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

I have a plate from here https://www.craigsplates.com/size_detail.php?page=sywa and without measuring it reckon its closest to the 350x111 (which is completely legal) - my rear plate is full size

Having said that mine are strictly show plates without EU or GB badge or makers postcode which they no longer supply
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by KenC View Post
    There are no rules on plate sizes. The rules relate to the size of the letters and numbers, the spacing between them and the margins to the edge of the plate. As a result the minimum size will depend upon the number of digits and if any of them is a 1.
    As above.

When I ordered mine you could choose road or show plates. (Canít recall who I ordered them from but can find out if you need it). Selecting road the website did the sizing/spacing etc automatically, then gave the option for full size or to fit to the letter/numbers. Also all the flags gb etc etc! (Didnít see SC though )

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

The front plate on my 430 was stuck on with double sided tape but kept falling off. Couldn't see a solution that didnt involve drilling holes in the car, so I go a stick on plate. (Just Google stick on number plate and you will find loads)

Whilst it is a "Show Plate" and not legal, you did get the option to select standard approved letter/number size and spacing. I then cut the background down to a smaller size, loosing the black surround. This made the plate small enough to fit on the flatish part of the front bumper, and with the approved font size etc its not taking the piss

This has got through MOT and not caused any problems with plod. Have similar on my Lotus Elise and no probs with that either.

P.S. James Bond revolving number plates might be good for the Welsh Weekender

Name
    birdseye

For the "falling off " issue, I found with my Lotus that extra strength Velcro did the job.

Name
    Mike

Default number plates

Funnily enough just received this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    jonnyjonkers

I've used platesforcars co uk in the past. Sizes were:

Size Front: 406x89mm (16x3.5in)
    Size Rear: 520x111mm (20.5x4.4in)
    Font : UK Legal Motorcycle

I never fitted them in the end as I liked the plate / spacing that Barkaways put on the car for me.

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyjonkers View Post
    I've used platesforcars co uk in the past. Sizes were:

Size Front: 406x89mm (16x3.5in)
    http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8f6c396a2c.jpg

Looks good on my Maranello, although this does mean an MOT fail (I keep legal plates in the boot for this annual event)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk