Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone's 360 live outside year round?

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    I’d just buy a car that is fit for the purpose and not blow too much on a cosmetically perfect car and then fret about it.
    +2

As I've said, nothing to stop someone doing this. All I've said is it won't stay in as good condition in terms on corrosion etc as a car which is kept dry. That's just simply physics, I'm not making this stuff up

Here's 2 cars of the same age (in fact at the time of the photo the TS is older). One has been kept dry the other hasn't. Given this is inside the car under the carpets etc. I'd argue that a cover etc isn't going to help much. But like I say, it's not a reason not to buy a car like this if you're going to keep it outside in all weathers, simply that it won't stay in the same nick as a car kept inside and dry. Sorry but it won't.

Name:  Front end _11.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  184.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1671a.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  71.4 KB

Good point about cars from the 360 and on though. There will be some corrosion but they won't suffer like my old banger would

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    +2

As I've said, nothing to stop someone doing this. All I've said is it won't stay in as good condition in terms on corrosion etc as a car which is kept dry. That's just simply physics, :
    Or perhaps chemistry

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Or perhaps chemistry
    Picky........ but fair

I think my point is if a car is kept damp, and outside all year round in this country that’s inevitable, oxidation occurs and it occurs on the inside of panels as well as the outside due to condensation. It’s fine to accept this and just crack on but anyone who thinks the car won’t deteriorate living outside is simply fooling themselves.

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

My 996 turbo lived outside for 5.5 years and was still immaculate (and it was red). There really was no visible sign that sitting outside caused it any problems at all.

Aston has been outside for 4 years, and the only problem that's caused is the sun baking the leather dash last summer and causing one edge to lift slightly.

It may be better for them to be stored inside, but in my experience it really makes very little difference.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    My 996 turbo lived outside for 5.5 years and was still immaculate (and it was red). There really was no visible sign that sitting outside caused it any problems at all.

Aston has been outside for 4 years, and the only problem that's caused is the sun baking the leather dash last summer and causing one edge to lift slightly.

It may be better for them to be stored inside, but in my experience it really makes very little difference.
    My point though is the the difference isn’t necessarily visible, it’s inside panels, under carpets etc, basically anywhere condensation sits. You look ‘under the skin’ of a car which has been stored in damp conditions and compare it to one which has been stored in dry conditions (such as the examples above) and you’ll see a difference.

The military stores fleets of vehicles, aircraft, spare equipment etc in case it’s needed if we have to ramp up for a war or something. It’s all stored in a dry atmosphere rather than outside. The country pays to do that for a reason.

Anyway, the OP asked whether you can keep a car like this outside and the answer is yes. Most will acknowledge it’s not ideal but if you have to then so be it
    Last edited by Nosevi; 22-06-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Name
    Ross

Morning.

In truth, I abandoned this thread a while back, along with hopes of a Ferrari due to reasons expressed in this thread heightening concerns I already had.

I recently thought, scrap that, it's just a car, and I want a Ferrari.

I'm pleased to see the tides turned in my absence!

I agree, a Garage Queen car Vs a Car That's Actually Used, each will look different.

I don't want a Garage Queen, I want to drive to France or Italy, have a blast and return with some fine wine and smelly cheese.

In such a continental jaunt the car would live outside, have to deal with all weathers and wouldn't be pampered. I appreciate that is 2 weeks Vs 365 days, but the point is similar.

So thanks very much all for your views.

I'm after a 360 Manual, red. But need to sell my Aston first.

Name
    Dave

Good decision.

In the time since this thread started, I now have a McLaren that lives outside. Which is probably a really stupid idea!

Name
    Pete

Good decision.
    +1.

For what you’ve described you want the car for, why not?

Name
    Dave McGuire

Good decision.

In the time since this thread started, I now have a McLaren that lives outside. Which is probably a really stupid idea!
    Dave a question about your McLaren and living outside I have 2 friends that have McLarens and they are reporting corrosion issues also there seems to be a recent massive drop in retail prices across the the range can you comment/advise on this? I have no experience with McLaren but was considering a 720 Spider the retail does not concern me but the corrosion issue most definitely does.

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by matkat View Post
    Dave a question about your McLaren and living outside I have 2 friends that have McLarens and they are reporting corrosion issues also there seems to be a recent massive drop in retail prices across the the range can you comment/advise on this? I have no experience with McLaren but was considering a 720 Spider the retail does not concern me but the corrosion issue most definitely does.
    I believe the corrosion issues only really happen on the sport series. I've never seen a report of it happening on super series - which I suspect is because the super series have carbon bodywork (apart from the bonnet I think).

The 720s look amazing, although to me they look much bigger than a 650. They do have the centre console tilted to the driver which I like - 650 doesn't.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast