Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone's 360 live outside year round?

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    Isn't that only an issue if it's driven - in which case, is it any different from a garaged car that's used in winter? I used mine all year round - admittedly much less in winter but still pretty regularly - certainly a couple of times a month.
    I think the main difference is in this country itíll effectively never dry out. Youíd use it, get salty water up in all the nooks and crannies and itíll stay damp in there which is a recipe for corrosion to occur. When you put your car away in the winter, Dave, the temperature in the garage probably rises a fair amount, thatíll help the car dry out a fair amount each time itís used.

As I said to the OP, nothing to stop someone keeping a Ferrari like this, if you want to then crack on But over a few years it will suffer far more than a car which is kept salt free and garaged. If you bought a good condition car, kept it for 10 years, used it throughout the winter and kept it outside all year, at the end of that period itíd be practically impossible for it to be in the same condition as the rest of the Ďfleetí which has been looked after in a different way and thatíll hit value and/or how easily it sells. Thatís just life. Nothing to stop someone doing it though

Name
    Mark Wibberley

I'm not sure where the salt came into this - you'd only get that on/in the car if it was driven when salt is on the roads, so no difference to a garaged car.

As long as its thoroughly washed off underneath IF it was driven when salt is down, you'd be fairly well OK. If the car was properly waxed, the wheels sealed and the cover taken off every so often for it to get some air round it, I'm sure it will be pretty well fine. Run the car back and forth to free the brakes etc.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post
    I'm not sure where the salt came into this - you'd only get that on/in the car if it was driven when salt is on the roads, so no difference to a garaged car.
    Not quite true (and I'm not trying to nit-pick): If a car was being kept on the road then salt on said road becomes airborne in the form of splashes and spray. In that respect, it's nothing like a garaged car.

Every time we have heavy rain I see sandy residue on the wheels and lower sides of my Boxster (living on the drive) from the fine sand being rain-blasted from the small gaps in our block paving.

But - The OP is in London and compared to many other parts of the UK, will rarely see the worst of the winter weather.
    Last edited by Kyodo; 20-06-2019 at 09:46 AM.

dave964 is online now No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

This thread makes me feel like I neglect my 360. If I use it between November and May, I should be underneath it with a jetwash and a toothbrush before putting it back in the garage.......

For what it's worth - I didn't think my 360 would fit in my garage, and didn't know until I got it home whether it would or not. I didn't really care.

Admittedly, I would have been keeping it on a driveway rather than the road. But even so - there are a million practical reasons why you shouldn't buy a Ferrari, and this is just one of them.

I still recommend you buy one though. This reminds me of all the threads I read about 5 years before buying my 348, and I found many reasons not to buy one. Five years later, when I had one - I wished I'd ignored them all, and started 5 years earlier.

Stick a cover on it, and enjoy it. Life is too short.

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

The build is a big step up from the earlier cars with an alloy body, chassis and cast suspension components.
    The 360 body and chassis is also very well protected compared to all that came before it.
    If you touch up the stone chips and youíre not bothered about oxidation on the bare alloy suspension and drivetrain (or keep treating it) then it will be fine.
    If I was keeping it outside Iíd just make sure it was used regularly.
    Itíll never be concours but it certainly wonít fall apart.
    Personally Iíd never use a cover as no matter how breathable they are they are open underneath and trap humidity. Keeping the inside clean is never easy.
    Iíd just buy a car that is fit for the purpose and not blow too much on a cosmetically perfect car and then fret about it.

Name
    Mark

I agree with both of the above posts. I use our car in winter, I just pick my days and try to avoid the worst of the grime. I wouldn't use a cover either, I've seen the mess our 'top half' cover made of the Boxster paintwork whilst trying to protect the fabric soft top.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    I’d just buy a car that is fit for the purpose and not blow too much on a cosmetically perfect car and then fret about it.
    100%

Name
    Dave

I'd actually argue that if an AM V8V is happy sitting on the road all year round, a 360 isn't going to be that different. Both aluminium, and both considered to be less durable than your average ford focus.

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    I'd actually argue that if an AM V8V is happy sitting on the road all year round, a 360 isn't going to be that different. Both aluminium, and both considered to be less durable than your average ford focus.
    I agree with that but there's the little thing of people expecting Ferrari's to be absolutely pristine all of the time. I think if people are realistic about their expectations and know they'll spend a bit more time keeping the cars looking good then that's great

Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    I agree with that but there's the little thing of people expecting Ferrari's to be absolutely pristine all of the time. I think if people are realistic about their expectations and know they'll spend a bit more time keeping the cars looking good then that's great
    I feel you are unaware of how people feel about Aston Martin.

Name
    Mark

Lol.

To be honest, if we had an Aston, (and we did explore the opportunity a while back) then it'd live on our drive full-time just like our Porsche, no worries.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast