Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever heard your own car...

Name
    Paul

Default Have you ever heard your own car...

A friend of mine was over this week end, and we decided to go for a drive as the weather was lovely. We decided to swap cars half way (he drives a 911 TT and is used to super cars) as I want to hear the sound of my F430 from outside doing flybys, pull ups etc... I had never done that since I upgraded the manifold from Ferrari OEM to aftermarket... and O. M. G. that thing is so loud. Anywhere on the 4K to 8k RPM range w the valves open is absolutely deafening from the outside.
    I was literally bursting out laughing and couldn’t wipe the stupid grin off my face.

Ferraris sound absolutely monstrous. Say what you want about German engineering, nothing gets close to the emotion of Ferrari. Stepping from the F430 into the 911 TT felt so dull and not engaging... and so quiet too. I felt sorry for my friend who’s a Porsche guy through and through. He might start looking for a GT3 following that experience :-)

The point of the story is that if you’ve never heard your own car from the outside, give it a go, it will remind you why we bought those cars in the first place.

Name
    Jez Moore

Quote Originally Posted by rivarama View Post
    A friend of mine was over this week end, and we decided to go for a drive as the weather was lovely. We decided to swap cars half way (he drives a 911 TT and is used to super cars) as I want to hear the sound of my F430 from outside doing flybys, pull ups etc... I had never done that since I upgraded the manifold from Ferrari OEM to aftermarket... and O. M. G. that thing is so loud. Anywhere on the 4K to 8k RPM range w the valves open is absolutely deafening from the outside.
    I was literally bursting out laughing and couldn’t wipe the stupid grin off my face.

Ferraris sound absolutely monstrous. Say what you want about German engineering, nothing gets close to the emotion of Ferrari. Stepping from the F430 into the 911 TT felt so dull and not engaging... and so quiet too. I felt sorry for my friend who’s a Porsche guy through and through. He might start looking for a GT3 following that experience :-)

The point of the story is that if you’ve never heard your own car from the outside, give it a go, it will remind you why we bought those cars in the first place.

I let my son have a few laps around Brands Hatch in my 355 with Challenge Exhaust, great but I honestly thought it would be a bit louder 😀

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

+1 on the difference between Porkers and Ferrari imo - Porsches are so much better engineered and built....... but are essentially ‘soulless’ by comparison. Doesn’t help that they all look the same either.

Regarding hearing your car from outside, I did when the guy was doing my MOT a couple of months ago. My car is essentially unsilenced (something I get away with out here in the provinces but probably wouldn’t in civilised parts) and the guy just blipping the throttle to back her out sounded awesome.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Moore View Post
    I let my son have a few laps around Brands Hatch in my 355 with Challenge Exhaust, great but I honestly thought it would be a bit louder 😀
    My Son drives my F430 quite a bit - He has also been on - Oulton Park, Olivers Mount, Cadwell and Silverstone (Full GP) in it with me watching. Sounds epic with aftermarket headers and the Ferrari OEM Sports Exhaust option. I have a valve controller and TBH its open most of the time - except for early morning starts.

The 599 has been driven by a few people with me as passenger and as watcher. It has had the main cats deleted (passes emissions with the pre-cats) and having tried a number of back boxes of various makes it actually sounds best with the stock ones plus the valve controller. V12 at high RPM is epic.

As a contrast we also have an Abarth 500 Essesse in the collection with Asetto Corsa brakes, springs, shocks, and straight-through competitzione exhaust - that sounds fabulous and does more snap crackle & pop than either of its older cousins. Lots of fun

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Only heard my car when it has been test driven by QV with me standing by. Have to say that it sounds bloody fantastic!

Was at a Thames Valley FOC meeting last night and a member was asking me which car I had. As soon as he realised which one it was he mentioned how great it sounds. That's not why I own it, and I inherited the exhaust (Stebro), but I do admit it sounds pretty good.

One of the great things about having a carbed car is the crackling and popping from the exhaust. Love it.

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

This was the first time I heard my 348 at full gallop.

A race instructor was driving it whilst I filmed.

Tubi 2.5 exhaust and decatted.

Loved my 348 that little bit more!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Cxmt8y8_o&autoplay=0

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Looks and sounds awesome there Sy.

Love the fact the instructor has his mobile in his mouth as he does that!

Name
    Paul

It sounds so viscious!! Love it.
    First time I see an instructor caught on camera crossing arms while turning the steering wheel!

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

Just remembered something else about that day (or may have been another day there).

He also drive my mates mk2 Elise S on the same circuit and he did an identical time in both cars.

When I drove both cars I was faster in the Elise by about 2 seconds.

There is also a long straight where you can test cornering ability. The limit on the 348 was 75mph before it would spin.

A 360 could do it at 85mph without driving aids and over 100mph with driving aids.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
    Just remembered something else about that day (or may have been another day there).

He also drive my mates mk2 Elise S on the same circuit and he did an identical time in both cars.

When I drove both cars I was faster in the Elise by about 2 seconds.

There is also a long straight where you can test cornering ability. The limit on the 348 was 75mph before it would spin.

A 360 could do it at 85mph without driving aids and over 100mph with driving aids.
    Regarding the racing driver matching the Elise time in the 348 I'm not surprised - in the right hands they are quick enough as has been seen in the Pirelli Hill Climb over the years where a 348 held the outright record on a couple of the twistier tracks, one on it's own, the other in the same time as a 430 Scuderia. If it was me I think the difference between the times would have been more than 2 seconds.

Regarding the 360's better cornering ability, again, unsurprised - that's progress and the 360 is a seriously capable machine. My guess is those speeds are both with the active suspension on on the 360? Is it possible to simply switch it off? I'm guessing the active dampers wouldn't do a very good job with the system disabled but must confess I don't know enough about the system. If the active suspension has to be on (and as I say, I don't know the system at all but most do) then in fairness the 360 did those speeds with some driver aids and all driver aids if you see what I mean. Takes nothing away from the difference in ability, as I say, that's progress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast