Thread: 360 oil leak

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Default 360 oil leak

Noticed yesterday that I have a slight leak. For some reason, I can't post a picture - although it lets me choose a file there is no 'ok' or 'upload' button so I can't actually upload the photo. But it's actually the same picture as in the first post of my engine issue thread.
    It looks like the oil is coming from above where it's collecting. Only thing above there is the oil filler - it looks like that bolts to the block and I'm guessing it's that join that's leaking.

I had that repainted a few years back and it needs doing again. How easy is it to remove the filler neck part? I guess I need a gasket although I might have one in my engine gasket set.

Name
    Dave

In case anybody else faces similar :

Dropped the car off for it's 500 mile oil change yesterday, and pointed out the leak to them. The filler neck does indeed bolt on, and is sealed with an O-ring - apparently, it's very easy to nick the O-ring when you put it back together - and you don't find it's leaking until you run it.

I'm guessing I've had that leak since I had the filler repainted and haven't noticed in the last 3 or 4 years - although I find that surprising.

I probably have the O-ring in the engine gasket set I bought, so I gave them the set back and told them to sort it out - it's the obvious time to do it when they're changing the oil anyway.
    Also asked them to re-paint the filler neck since the paint has all flaked off again - didn't seem too enthusiastic, but hopefully they will.

Name
    Dave

So... The new O ring didn't solve the leak.

Turns out there was a small crack on one of the original welds. Italian build quality eh?

Apparently, this is now sorted - new weld, painted and refitted.

Now they are just trying to re-trgger the suspension fault to be sure it's the same code and if so will sort that out.

I think I've only had the car in my possession for about 3 weeks since the end of March.

For a car that I've generally considered very reliable, it's had a bad year!

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

My F355 went a bit that way, issues one after another. Hope you get a final closure and can use it.