Thread: Reactions to my Ferraris

Name
    robert batt

Default Reactions to my Ferraris

Over the last 5 years I've owned 3 Ferraris, one after the other:
    A £70,000 612 Scaglietti
    A £50,000 360 Modena
    A £30,000 Mondial T

I've been using the Mondial more and more recently and I can honestly say that I get so much more positive reactions to the Mondial than the other 2. I was in The Mall in London yesterday, in front of a lovely Aston DBS. 2 passers-by stopped to take pictures of my Mondial and completely ignored the Aston!

At petrol stations loads of people come over to tell me how much they like my car. I'm pretty sure that most of them don't know that it's a Mondial, and that it only cost me £32,000 last year. But the reactions to it are very surprising. Most people didn't realise that the 612 was a Ferrari, and most ignored the 360 (feigned indifference?). I guess that I am getting 10 times more love for the Mondial than the other 2.

Can anyone help me to understand why there's so much love for the least loved Fezza?

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

I get exactly the reaction you get with the Mondial with my 348, pretty much without fail and almost every time I go out in it - thumbs up, people coming over in the petrol station, bikers in particular seem to love it. Ferraris are pretty rare out here but she certainly gets more attention than friends I have with newer models report.

Your average punter sees a Ferrari as a 2 seat, mid-engined sports car so I understand that the cars that fit that model get more noticed than the GTs, particularly the 4 seaters. Regarding the older models generally getting more 'love' than the newer, I think it comes down to perception - have a newer model and many will unfortunately automatically think "Flash git!" Have an older model and you tend to be seen in a slightly different light. Probably get the same reaction if you pitch up at the pump in a classic 911 vs the newest GT2RS although perhaps not to the same degree.

Obviously generalising, you'll get many people who will be massively positive if you pitch up in a 488 Spider. But the older models do seem to attract more positive attention without the negativity the newer ones occasionally get, as you have clearly seen yourself.

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

We had 3 cars on our stand at Glamis on Sunday - 355, 550 & 488. When the owner of the 488 wasn't around, we found similar to what Pete is saying - most folk preferred the older models, and saw them as less 'flash'.

Age dependent as well though, depends what you grew up lusting over

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

What colours were they?

I get less attention in the 360 than I did in the 348, but I'm pretty sure that's more to do with the 348 being red than any model difference (and it was specifically why I didn't choose a red 360).

Name
    robert batt

Name:  IMG_7146.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  118.8 KB

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    What colours were they?

I get less attention in the 360 than I did in the 348, but I'm pretty sure that's more to do with the 348 being red than any model difference (and it was specifically why I didn't choose a red 360).
    I’ve known a guy with a blue Mondial, a guy with a blue 348, another with a black 348, a yellow 308 GT4 and another with a blue 308 GT4 - all have said they get lots of attention with their cars and all positive. I’m not sure it’s all about colour, Dave.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 17-07-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Belfry View Post
    Name:  IMG_7146.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  118.8 KB
    I rest my case, Your Honour .....

p.s. That does look good
    Last edited by Nosevi; 17-07-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Garvin is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Garvin

The older Ferraris look pretty, the new ones look aggressive and more ‘in yer face’ and the link between them - the 360 & 430 - look, IMHO, rather neither nor. I think this may be why the more senior Fezzas get a good reaction.

Lolita has had many admiring glances and comments but two stood out for me, both in fuel stations.

The first was an old (must have been 80) geezer who came back to his pristine Mk2 MR2 and detoured to have a good look at Lolita, pronounced her beautiful and then held up his car keys enquiring if I would like to swap. The second was was an old (again, must have been 80 or so) biddy who, on returning to her Honda Jazz, stopped and gave Lolita a good viewing. She then turned to me, smiled broadly and commented that it was an “absolutely beautiful” car.

Just for balance, I have had one rather amusing bad reaction. White van man arrived alongside me in his transit on a dual carriageway when stuck in very slow moving traffic. He wound his window down and provided to emit a torrent of abuse about me and Lolita whilst frantically waving coffee beans about (and, no, I had not caused him any driving distress as he was way behind me and only caught up as his lane was exiting and moving faster than the main carriageway) He was early 20’s at most. Lovely chap.
    I like red & cream!

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Its interesting to see what sort of reaction you get for different cars.

Red 430 never had any bad reaction, and a lot of people say its lovely/how fast/etc. The petrol heads are even more impressed when you show them the engine. Weird thing is when driving on dual carriageway/motorway people seem to want to catch up to see who is in the car !!
    1984 911 clubsport (white car, wheel hubs are pink with polished alloy rims) lots of people say its just lovely and so pretty. Probably gets more looks from pedestrians when driving around than the 430.
    Red Elise series 1 probably the best reaction from Girls as its small, pretty, and not as flash as a Ferrari. If you cant pull with a red Elise then you are a real sad case I have even had women give me their mobile number at filling stations !!!

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    What colours were they?

355 - red
    550 - silver
    488 - black (and I have to say it looked fabulous in black, one of the best colours for it IMO)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast