Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 355 Won't start

Name
    Ian Riddell

You can keep all of the people happy some of the time and some of the people happy all of the time...

Meanwhile, back the garidge... (sorry, I'm an ex-pat Yorkshireman)

Name
    Brian R

Default All sorted

Just a word of warning to anyone leaving unleaded fuel in their car for 'long' periods. It completely disintegrated all of the rubber gaskets around the fuel pump - just a congealed mess in the bottom of the pump housing. New pump and gaskets fitted, plus new filter and it fired up after a couple of minutes priming the filter. Now back to normal thankfully.

FYI if anyone is suffering from the dreaded 'sticky buttons' interior syndrome, I believe 'Mr Muscle' Oven cleaner is as good as anything. Read many posts recommending thinners and acetone, tried both and just started melting all of the plastic! Someone in the States suggested oven cleaner was the best by far and I must say I have to agree with him. Follow the instructions and with a little patience, everything comes up like new with no damage whatsoever! £3.00 weill spent!

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

I used an oven cleaner and also meths in-between taking the odd sip for myself

Did my previous F car (F355) and an Alfa of a similar year. My 360 other than mirror buttons seems to be good.

I do leave the 360 from about October/November - April in the garage untouched. I have done this with previous Ferraris and the aforementioned Alfa and recently an old Z3.

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    I used an oven cleaner and also meths in-between taking the odd sip for myself

Did my previous F car (F355) and an Alfa of a similar year. My 360 other than mirror buttons seems to be good.

I do leave the 360 from about October/November - April in the garage untouched. I have done this with previous Ferraris and the aforementioned Alfa and recently an old Z3.
    I need to do my 360 - the ashtray lid is shocking. Which is particularly annoying because I know I replaced it once before, so it's not even 6 years old.

Name
    Brian R

Default Sticky interior

A further update, it seems that soaking the parts in engine degreaser for a few hours to soften the coating and then using the oven cleaner is a better option, it's certainly a learning process............

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Got to confess, have had the soft touch finish removed from my 348 when it went a bit sticky and the parts just painted matte black. Canít see the point in the soft touch finish as it always marks in the end and a matte black hard finish looks the same.

Regarding the fuel pumps, Iím surprised this happened in a year, I know of a lot of cars stored a lot longer than that with no reported issue. A mate stored a 348 with fuel in the tank for 3 years and simply started it at the end with no issues. Perhaps there was more at work than being sat in fuel for a year? Who knows. At least itís sorted now though

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Got to confess, have had the soft touch finish removed from my 348 when it went a bit sticky and the parts just painted matte black. Canít see the point in the soft touch finish as it always marks in the end and a matte black hard finish looks the same.

Regarding the fuel pumps, Iím surprised this happened in a year, I know of a lot of cars stored a lot longer than that with no reported issue. A mate stored a 348 with fuel in the tank for 3 years and simply started it at the end with no issues. Perhaps there was more at work than being sat in fuel for a year? Who knows. At least itís sorted now though
    The ethanol would have adsorbed water and you can get a layer of ethanol and water in the bottom of the tank. (Phase separation) Depends on ethanol content of the fuel and whether there is water available to combine with the ethanol.

Name
    Brian R

Default More than a year......

Spot on Ian, although it was actually more like 2 1/2 years I think, but that is exactly what happened, hard lesson learnt and doubt it would have been a problem if the tank and rubber parts weren't in the tank which was 1/2 full!

Name
    Ian

While we are on the subject, 2 stroke equipment can suffer badly from this problem so best not to leave fuel in your chainsaw or strimmer for long periods. Drain and run until it stops works for me.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

I’m pretty interested in this as my car’s about to be stored for a couple of years. Many companies do ‘active’ storage programmes - car gets run up to temp once a month. Does the pumps running mix the fuel a bit and so stop this separation to an extent? My car will be stored at home in a climate controlled (50 RH) atmosphere which may help as there’ll be less moisture for the fuel to absorb but I guess I also need to drain the tank maybe once a year and replace any fuel with fresh?

I’m sort of torn between storing the car and keeping her on the road if I’m honest. She’ll hardly be used for a 2 or 3 years but keeping her running and very occasionally driven may end up being a smarter move. It’d at least prevent this sort of thing being an issue. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Nosevi; 03-08-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast