Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 355 Won't start

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

You can get additives for the two strokes to stop this. Iím not sure if it works on regular fuel or not but some digging should reveal the answer. Local garden machine shop says most all his repair business is cleaning fuel systems because of this.

As far as I understand it; itís a double edge sword, if you drain it the rubber and seals can dry out. Leave it and you can get the above problem.

Personally Iíd be looking at keeping the tank full and seeing if there are additives you can use. (Itís the approach taken for marine craft and what I use in our yacht without problem; fingers crossed!!!)

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    You can get additives for the two strokes to stop this. I’m not sure if it works on regular fuel or not but some digging should reveal the answer. Local garden machine shop says most all his repair business is cleaning fuel systems because of this.

As far as I understand it; it’s a double edge sword, if you drain it the rubber and seals can dry out. Leave it and you can get the above problem.

Personally I’d be looking at keeping the tank full and seeing if there are additives you can use. (It’s the approach taken for marine craft and what I use in our yacht without problem; fingers crossed!!!)
    Cheers Adrian. My choices are either store and recommission or keep her on the road but she'll only be used a few times a year. I'm just not sure which is the way to go. Or sell of course but that doesn't really appeal all that much.

I know something like 1 in 5 Ferraris are in storage over the summer, at least that was the case last time I checked the taxed vs SORN numbers, so she wouldn't be alone to be in storage. But equally it's a pointless exercise if it's possible to keep her running which minimises the risks or things such as described in this thread, is better for the car and ends up being cheaper in the long run anyway. Continuing the service history also sort of makes sense as there may come a time when I'll want to sell her.

Probably isn't a right or wrong answer.

Name
    Ian

Iím sure fuel additive would help normal fuel for a few years. The ethanol is a big problem so try and find as low a percentage fuel as possible. I believe even the higher end fuels like V power might have 5% but donít quote me on that . Worth enquiring though.
    If you want to keep some fuel in your tank then another option might be Aspen 4 which I have been told is good for 5 years. Never run a car on it so it would be advisable to enquire with a supplier if you considered doing it.
    For 2 strokes itís Aspen 2 so donít mix them up. Both are expensive at around £20 for 5 litres but Aspen 4 might be better than normal fuel+ additive for longer term storage.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Ian355 View Post
    Iím sure fuel additive would help normal fuel for a few years. The ethanol is a big problem so try and find as low a percentage fuel as possible. I believe even the higher end fuels like V power might have 5% but donít quote me on that . Worth enquiring though.
    If you want to keep some fuel in your tank then another option might be Aspen 4 which I have been told is good for 5 years. Never run a car on it so it would be advisable to enquire with a supplier if you considered doing it.
    For 2 strokes itís Aspen 2 so donít mix them up. Both are expensive at around £20 for 5 litres but Aspen 4 might be better than normal fuel+ additive for longer term storage.
    Thanks Ian, I'll look into it.

Name
    Kwang

Esso Synergy Supreme+ 97 Unleaded is ethanol free except Scotland, Devon and North East I believe so South East should be fine. Sometimes fill up prior to laying it up but not always and so far it's been ok. Shell 99 I believe is 5% which i have used to lay up too. Supermarkets like momemtum 99 is 10% as I understand.
    Last edited by sim; 08-08-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123