Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brave pill

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Default Brave pill

Who would be brave enough?

I love the quote "In their care, it has been carefully used as a track experience car, with the 355 fitted with a rev. limiter and only driven under strict supervision." Interpret that how you will!

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/a...ri-308-gts-qv/

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/a...i-f355-gts-f1/

Name
    jos

One really interesting point is that for all the F1 in the 355 gets condemned this car implicitly earned its keep for nearly 20 years for Mithril - there is no way they would have kept it if it was undriveable and/or unreliable and/or unmaintainable

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Who would be brave enough?

I love the quote "In their care, it has been carefully used as a track experience car, with the 355 fitted with a rev. limiter and only driven under strict supervision." Interpret that how you will!

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/a...ri-308-gts-qv/

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/a...i-f355-gts-f1/
    Well - at least their price range seems realistic... just

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by rivarama View Post
    Well - at least their price range seems realistic... just
    Even if the description of being “carefully” used as track demonstrators stretches ‘realistic’ about as far as you can.

Regarding Jos’s comment on the 355, to be fair, when you look at the price of a Ferrari track demonstrator ride, now multiply by how many drives you can get in in a day, I’m not sure it proves a great deal - pretty much any car would turn a profit given those rates. That said, the fact the company is selling the cars having been liquidated doesn’t massively support your argument, Jos

Name
    jonnyjonkers

If you were running a business would you tolerate under-performing machinery? If a machine were to continually break down you’d look to replace it, so that you could continue operating and earning income. You’d also concentrate on servicing and replacing worn parts to ensure breakdowns are less frequent.

Put another way; you’re approaching a tight corner on a track at 110mph, you need to brake, select the correct gear and turn in to nail that apex. Would you rather be in:

a) A car that did this yesterday
    b) A car that hasn’t turned a wheel in 22 years and still wears the original tyres?

OK, this is probably an extreme example but why does mileage / use always equate to thrashed / knackered, whereas low mileage / lack of use equal trustworthy / dependable?

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyjonkers View Post
    If you were running a business would you tolerate under-performing machinery? If a machine were to continually break down you’d look to replace it, so that you could continue operating and earning income. You’d also concentrate on servicing and replacing worn parts to ensure breakdowns are less frequent.

Put another way; you’re approaching a tight corner on a track at 110mph, you need to brake, select the correct gear and turn in to nail that apex. Would you rather be in:

b) A car that hasn’t turned a wheel in 22 years and still wears the original tyres?

OK, this is probably an extreme example but why does mileage / use always equate to thrashed / knackered, whereas low mileage / lack of use equal trustworthy / dependable?
    To be honest, if I was in the market I'd be looking at that 308 with a bit of interest. If the body was ok, the mechanics are nice and simple...what could a possible engine/transmission rebuild potentially cost

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    To be honest, if I was in the market I'd be looking at that 308 with a bit of interest. If the body was ok, the mechanics are nice and simple...what could a possible engine/transmission rebuild potentially cost
    Yeah, I was thinking the same. It'd be great to take either of them hill climbing.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyjonkers View Post

Given the choice between a) and b) I'd clearly choose a) ......… but given the choice between an ex track demonstrator being a) and c) which is a 'normal' example which has been well looked after, properly serviced and wearing new tyres I'd take c) and it'd be c) which I'd actually buy all things being equal. But of course all things aren't equal and the fact it's an ex track demonstrator provides a hefty discount over c) . I do think the 308 in particular looks interesting.

Regarding the last point I don't necessarily think it does but when I was looking at a particularly high mileage 308 (far higher than this) as a bit of a new project a friend who's a dealer warned me off. I forget the list he gave me of likely issues but seem to remember cylinder linings was something which will almost certainly need replacing at high mileages on these cars and that's not something I'd really want to get into myself I don't think.

Name
    CPD

If you look at many of the ‘track day experiences’ videos that appear on-line I would suggest these cars get subjected to a very light use case.

They are often owned by people who understand mechanical sympathy, get warmed up properly, don’t encounter many pot-holes, are cleaned regularly etc. The videos are actually quite comical when you see how slow many of the laps are.

What people imagine they have been doing all their lives compared to the reality means they are likely a bargain if you want to own and enjoy.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    If you look at many of the ‘track day experiences’ videos that appear on-line I would suggest these cars get subjected to a very light use case.

They are often owned by people who understand mechanical sympathy, get warmed up properly, don’t encounter many pot-holes, are cleaned regularly etc. The videos are actually quite comical when you see how slow many of the laps are.

What people imagine they have been doing all their lives compared to the reality means they are likely a bargain if you want to own and enjoy.
    Depends how many times it's ended up in the gravel

To be fair some ex track demonstrators I've seen do indeed look to be very good value. Others, not so much and the 'discount' is well deserved. I think you'd have to have a good look over the car and make a call for yourself. The shot of the nose of the 308 appears to show quite a bit of corrosion low down rear of the front wheels but it's hard to tell from a photo. And some detail shots don't really smack of a car that's been cleaned regularly...……..

But I'd still love to have it as a bit of a project if I'd not got the 348.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast