Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 355 test pipes too short?

Allandwf is offline Essex boy's Ford Capri Club Member
    Name
    Allan Fisher

Default Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Red_SLR View Post
    When you say rings at each end what do you mean?
    Sorry, meant the flange rings.

Name
    Simon

Oh ok thanks.

Was just reading on F chat that someone had a similar problem and fixed it by starting at the back with the exhaust box to cat flange on far enough for no gap. Nip that up and attach the v clamp and then tighten the fixings at the manifold end.

That seems to sound good to me! However I am not sure if I will end up in the same problem with a small gap at the other end....

Still baffled by these exhaust gaskets they sent made of steel wool too!

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Red_SLR View Post
    Oh ok thanks.

Was just reading on F chat that someone had a similar problem and fixed it by starting at the back with the exhaust box to cat flange on far enough for no gap. Nip that up and attach the v clamp and then tighten the fixings at the manifold end.

That seems to sound good to me! However I am not sure if I will end up in the same problem with a small gap at the other end....

Still baffled by these exhaust gaskets they sent made of steel wool too!
    That sounds like the exhaust will be pulling the engine and silencer together. Doesnít sound good to me, as you say you will end up with a gap at the front unless you deform the engine or exhaust mounts.
    Presumably the steel wool gaskets are meant to be used at the front in place of the steel ones. Assuming they are the same shape.

Allandwf is offline Essex boy's Ford Capri Club Member
    Name
    Allan Fisher

Default Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Ian355 View Post
    That sounds like the exhaust will be pulling the engine and silencer together. Doesnít sound good to me, as you say you will end up with a gap at the front unless you deform the engine or exhaust mounts.
    Presumably the steel wool gaskets are meant to be used at the front in place of the steel ones. Assuming they are the same shape.
    Are the exhaust mounts not slotted and sprung for this very reason? ( Again apologies if the 355 is very different from the 348.)

Name
    Simon

Think so you can only adjust so far as the collars inside the spring mechanically stops you from going any further.

I will speak to ES about the gaskets tomorrow and if they are correct I will give it another go!

Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Allandwf View Post
    Are the exhaust mounts not slotted and sprung for this very reason? ( Again apologies if the 355 is very different from the 348.)
    Biggest problem I can see apart from pulling on the mounts, is the bypass valve pipe enters front/ top of the silencer so restricting movement of the top of the silencer. Then if the test pipes create a pull on the bottom of the silencer they will try and twist the silencer box, possibly causing problems in the bypass pipe.

Name
    Simon

Good point might be worth me taking a few turns off those bolts then tighten it all back up after.

Name
    Simon

ES have told me the new style gaskets are a replacement for the old solid ones.

Name
    Simon

So an update I took them off and put them on again and its fitting up much better now. There is still a tiny gap about 1mm right in the gap on the flange. But it was like that on the old cats so should be ok for a month or so - my car is due a belt service so its all got to come off again anyway.

Ran out of puff (30+c in the garage) so did not get the wheels back on but will get that sorted tomorrow and take it for a run.

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

So what was different the 2nd time?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast