Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing a car long term

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    I use that every winter, as my car sits for about 5 months normally. Before putting the car away, I chuck it in at the petrol station, brim the tank then park the car up. I don't put it in to any previous fill-ups.

Never had any issues starting, or feeling slower or whatever on that tank of fuel. Used it for 5 years now. Never used it for any longer spell though like you're planning
    Thanks Gordon.

Iím just looking at possibilities really. Iím not storing her next year now so when I do itíd only be for a couple of years at most I think.

Name
    GQ

Exactly as Gordon says. They always start without any hesitation

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
    Exactly as Gordon says. They always start without any hesitation

Name
    Kwang

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I was concerned initially and looked into Stabil. But now I fill up with 5% or less ethanol (Shell V or Esso) to avoid air and thus separation.
    To be honest if it is air tight atmosphere/moisture cannot get it anyway so of little or no consequence (in addition cars with a pressurised tank) as i have done it a couple of years with half or 3/4 full a few yrs to see/compare. Fuel in perfect condition after.

Car starts first time after 4 mths (laid up up to 6 months), no difference as if it had been started yesterday, been doing that for a decade so don't worry any more.
    Fill up fully with Esso non-ethanol is a simple preventative measure. I don't think it is of any concern anyway.
    So don't worry,scare mongers with their ill-maintained or faulty cars are the scare stories.

Fill up and leave it worry free, good luck.
    Last edited by sim; 10-08-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by sim View Post
    I was concerned initially and looked into Stabil. But now I fill up with 5% or less ethanol (Shell V or Esso) to avoid air and thus separation.
    To be honest if it is air tight atmosphere/moisture cannot get it anyway so of little or no consequence (in addition cars with a pressurised tank) as i have done it a couple of years with half or 3/4 full a few yrs to see/compare. Fuel in perfect condition after.

Car starts first time after 4 mths (laid up up to 6 months), no difference as if it had been started yesterday, been doing that for a decade so don't worry any more.
    Fill up fully with Esso non-ethanol is a simple preventative measure. I don't think it is of any concern anyway.
    So don't worry,scare mongers with their ill-maintained or faulty cars are the scare stories.

Fill up and leave it worry free, good luck.
    Thanks sim, much appreciated. My car is actually in a climate controlled garage - 50% RH, temp never falls below 10 degrees C or the radiators kick in - so thereís not much chance of dampness or condensation anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12