Thread: F430 tail light fixing kit

Name
    Paul

Default F430 tail light fixing kit

2 of my F430 tail lights are showing slight sign of vibrations. I am afraid it is the case of well documented cracked lamp posts.
    Following a bit of research it looks like it is a design issue and replacing them w OEM wonít solve that issue from rehappening again. Lots of people recommend using a fix kit that strengthen the actual casing and prevent it from cracking again under the engine vibrations.

I found this kit on eBay which seems to get a few good reviews.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283178715134

Is there anything better that this forum recommends ?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I used some 50mm stainless steel thin nails with the heads cut off (these were UPVC fascia nails - 2mm diameter and ridged along their entire length - a few quid for a box)

Clean up the lights, glue broken part on with epoxy glue (I used Araldite), then reinforce with a few of you stainless nails pressed into the glue, cover with a generous load of glue, and then wrap with some insulating tape to stop the glue from falling out prior to it setting.

The most difficult aspect is maintaining the correct alignment until its all set. If your are lucky you can pre glue the plastic bit back on with airfix glue before reinforcing with the epoxy and stainless nails.

I have done one lug on my car and my stainless nail/epoxy bodge is without a doubt the strongest lug on any of the 4 rear lights. Even if you have to buy the stainless pins and Araldite, cost will be less than £15.

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

I did my 360 ones very similar to how Simon describes above with a splint and Araldite. Iíve also tried fibreglass Mat but itís such a small area.
    They were fine until I replaced them with new units last year.

If you buy that kit from the US factor in the import duty, VAT and customs fee you will pay on delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Paul

Being the least manual person inside the M25 - I originally liked the idea of a kit. But if a DIY is as effective, and doesnít involve DIY skills, why not.

Duty VAT etc would apply to me as I am in US once a month; so I would have it delivered in my office and would bring it home w me.

Looking at £500 per light when bought from Ferrari (with no guarantee it will last either), I was happy to spend £100 for a kit of 4. Just want to make sure I have the right kit though.

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    I used some 50mm stainless steel thin nails with the heads cut off (these were UPVC fascia nails - 2mm diameter and ridged along their entire length - a few quid for a box)

Clean up the lights, glue broken part on with epoxy glue (I used Araldite), then reinforce with a few of you stainless nails pressed into the glue, cover with a generous load of glue, and then wrap with some insulating tape to stop the glue from falling out prior to it setting.

The most difficult aspect is maintaining the correct alignment until its all set. If your are lucky you can pre glue the plastic bit back on with airfix glue before reinforcing with the epoxy and stainless nails.

I have done one lug on my car and my stainless nail/epoxy bodge is without a doubt the strongest lug on any of the 4 rear lights. Even if you have to buy the stainless pins and Araldite, cost will be less than £15.
    Is that the sort of nails youre talking about?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JZVB7..._wXZsDbXDW5QVW

Tackleberry is offline Del Boy's Reliant Robin Club Member
    Name
    Anthony Gnapp

Last year I ordered and installed that Kit, or at least part of it.

I requested the Plastic Parts only as I already had everything else I need for the job (grommets, epoxy etc)

Couple of little tweeks I did were:

1) Remove the web on the top piece to reduce possible interference with the bodywork.
    This had no adverse affect on the strength.

2) Used a slightly thinner walled Grommet, and then made some Collars that sit inside the Grommet and over the Post Threads.
    I made the Collars just the right length so that when the the Nuts are tightened they squeeze the Grommets just enough to add a little tension, but also allow some flexibility.

Lastly I set the Light Units up with shims where necessary to perfectly align them.
    Once happy I with the Shimming I bonded the Collars to the Posts using Loctite 603.
    This meant that the Lights had to be removed then nothing would drop off or get lost.

Result is my Taillights float and are isolated from vibration, thus eliminating the chance of cracking.
    And are still in perfect order one year and 3000 miles later.

Example of one unit modified and ready to install.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_1870.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  fullsizeoutput_15ed.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  73.5 KB

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by rivarama View Post
    Is that the sort of nails youre talking about?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JZVB7..._wXZsDbXDW5QVW
    Yes those are the sort of nails I used.

Name
    birdseye

Quote Originally Posted by rivarama View Post
    2 of my F430 tail lights are showing slight sign of vibrations. I am afraid it is the case of well documented cracked lamp posts.
    Following a bit of research it looks like it is a design issue and replacing them w OEM wonít solve that issue from rehappening again. Lots of people recommend using a fix kit that strengthen the actual casing and prevent it from cracking again under the engine vibrations.

I found this kit on eBay which seems to get a few good reviews.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283178715134

Is there anything better that this forum recommends ?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
    Seems silly expensive to me. being a sailor I had West epoxy and hardener in my toolkit and it was easy to repair the fixings using that. Its nothing like as expensive to buy as the kit you link, and it has the benefits that there are lots of other things you can repair with it. For example, I repaired the fixings on my front bumper which had suffered through grounding.In fact I repaired a crack that happened when I hit a cat at speed. Useful stuff epoxy and the proper kits as above are an altogether different poduct to the likes of Araldite.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Seems silly expensive to me...
    That's because the kit has the Ferrari tax applied.