Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Electric conversion of a classic Ferrari. Would you?

Name
    Steven Mendelsohn

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Is it inevitable that given enough time this is where we'll all end up? If the recent direction of travel regarding society's opinions on climate change continues, or more likely accelerates, to a point where noisy petrol cars are effectively socially unacceptable, do you think there'll be a time where you'd consider this?

I've seen the electric 308 in vids before but I've never seen how they did it. I know it's sacrilege and I'll likely get banned for saying this but the conversion is a lot neater than I expected. Keeping the interior the same with just a small touch screen showing electric data etc is a great idea, as is giving it the performance of a modern supercar. When everyone else is whispering past in electric cars (if that is indeed the future) then the lack of engine noise will probably seem a lot less odd.

I'm not exactly a fan, but if fully electric becomes inevitable I'd be tempted to do it rather than bin my old Ferrari. The space in the engine bay of a 348 would actually make it easier to do than in the 308 I'd think.

Right, I'm off to ban myself - just realised that I'm a moderator so I'll have to do it myself ÖÖÖ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBdu6k3Sdqw&autoplay=0
    This is the equivalent of buying a Ming Vase and using it as a bedpan.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by flyer47 View Post
    While I agree with the sentiment, would it be less of a bedpan because it used to be a Ming Vase?

Iím pretty sure it wouldn't be what any of would choose. The question was, if all ICE vehicles were banned and you absolutely had to drive electric or walk, those are the choices, would you convert or chuck your Ferrari in the bin ...........and drive a new electric car anyway. People can wax lyrical about the soul of the car being torn out, and to an extent I agree with them, but their (and my) indignation will count for **** all if this eventually happens.

Name
    Steven Mendelsohn

While I agree with the sentiment, would it be less of a bedpan because it used to be a Ming Vase?

Iím pretty sure it wouldn't be what any of would choose. The question was, if all ICE vehicles were banned and you absolutely had to drive electric or walk, those are the choices, would you convert or chuck your Ferrari in the bin ...........and drive a new electric car anyway. People can wax lyrical about the soul of the car being torn out, and to an extent I agree with them, but their (and my) indignation will count for **** all if this eventually happens.
    This is a false argument. I agree that the internal combustion engine has had itís day, the future lies elsewhere. However, I simply canít see, at anytime in the near future, any government saying all owners of cars with internal combustion engines will have to convert them to electric. There would be uproar and itís simply not a practical proposition. Itís a nonsense argument. So, I stand by my comment, why take a masterpiece and ruin it ?

Name
    Pete

This is a false argument. I agree that the internal combustion engine has had itís day, the future lies elsewhere. However, I simply canít see, at anytime in the near future, any government saying all owners of cars with internal combustion engines will have to convert them to electric. There would be uproar and itís simply not a practical proposition. Itís a nonsense argument. So, I stand by my comment, why take a masterpiece and ruin it ?
    It's not a nonsense argument and I certainly wouldn't do it any time soon like this guy has done. My question wasn't about whether you'd do it this time next year, it was about whether you'd do it rather than scrapping your Ferrari in say 20 or 25 years time if all electric were to become the reality we find ourselves in. Many owners won't have to worry about this but some of us slightly younger owners may well do given the direction of travel with the climate change debate.

In truth I probably wouldn't do it either, I'd get out long before then and probably buy a sailboat again - not sure they can ban those. I was merely prompting debate

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

I didn't watch all of the movies but maybe this would've been a parts car or already had a blown engine (?). Maybe it had a great engine before and it's being used as an experimental donor, testing longer-term possibilities whilst keeping another 308 on the road. I don't know, perhaps that's just wishful thinking. Either way that's not really the point.

The point was, and is: convert or scrap/museum? That's not imminent but it'll get closer every year and whilst probably true that the really special cars will be the last ones running once the daily driver's have all gone electric, you'd have to be totally nuts to believe that the governments and EU wont increase legislation and taxation to get their way over old V8 sports cars.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

If the day ever comes when ICE are banned then I would expect a small industry to pop up, with some generic components being designed to retrofit into classic cars, so I cant see all classics being consigned to the bin. The worldwide stock of classic cars is worth many many billions and those who own or covert the "nice ones" will stump up the money to convert ............. V8 / V12 engines, with a glass cover to make coffee tables will become common

So what if they only have a short range ?? most classics are only driven short distances.

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Ice is not going to die anytime soon; it will live on but possibly not with Petrol and diesel. The morons will soon realise that electric is not THE answer but just part of it. There is only so much strip mining in Africa you can do for rare minerals. There are already news articles about potential shortages for mobile phones, so even the uneducated will soon be able to connect the dots on this one!!!

Lovely avcat will be around for generations yet. Whilst you could foresee shortfall flights becoming alternative fuel in our generation; long haul flights I seriously doubt! Not to mention our lively gas fired power stations! And people are not going to give up there budget Tenerife holidays are they?

Right; pass me another Peroni please !!!!

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

That is better than my painting over a Monet with your water colours

It's not a nonsense argument and I certainly wouldn't do it any time soon like this guy has done. My question wasn't about whether you'd do it this time next year, it was about whether you'd do it rather than scrapping your Ferrari in say 20 or 25 years time if all electric were to become the reality we find ourselves in. Many owners won't have to worry about this but some of us slightly younger owners may well do given the direction of travel with the climate change debate.

In truth I probably wouldn't do it either, I'd get out long before then and probably buy a sailboat again - not sure they can ban those. I was merely prompting debate
    If I do not get a penny back on my Ferrari, I really do not care. I'd have spent the money on something else anyway. With that in mind I would scrap it if forced to (not that it will ever come to that, not ever) if it came to that or putting an iPhone in the rear.

Anyway nobody could take it away. It could sit forever in my garage so I could look back to a time when things were good.

Electric converted Ferrari - Name:  myarse.png
Views: 32
Size:  235.9 KB

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    That is better than my painting over a Monet with your water colours

If I do not get a penny back on my Ferrari, I really do not care. I'd have spent the money on something else anyway. With that in mind I would scrap it if forced to (not that it will ever come to that, not ever) if it came to that or putting an iPhone in the rear.

Anyway nobody could take it away. It could sit forever in my garage so I could look back to a time when things were good.

Electric converted Ferrari
    Youíre probably right, Malc, like I said, I probably wouldníd do it either and like I said at the beginning, Iím not a fan of the idea. I think it could happen though - a time when ICE gets legislated off the road.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234