Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Electric conversion of a classic Ferrari. Would you?

  1. #21
    Kyodo's Avatar
    Kyodo is online now Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Windsor, UK
    Name
    Mark
    Posts
    2,210

    Default

    I agree with that Pete. I don't look forward to it, being a lifelong sports car fan but electric will take over. The question for us all how long will internal combustion cars have before being legislated off the road through sweeping powers and taxation. It's coming, get used to the idea!

    The thought of that 308 vs a Nissan Leaf... I know which one I'd want.

  2. #22
    Nosevi's Avatar
    Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Name
    Pete
    Posts
    10,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    I agree with that Pete. I don't look forward to it, being a lifelong sports car fan but electric will take over. The question for us all how long will internal combustion cars have before being legislated off the road through sweeping powers and taxation. It's coming, get used to the idea!

    The thought of that 308 vs a Nissan Leaf... I know which one I'd want.

  3. #23
    MalcH's Avatar
    MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Astley, Manchester.
    Name
    Malc Holden
    Posts
    11,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Everyone’s obviously entitled to their view and as I said, I’m not a ‘fan’ of this at all. But would I scrap a car out of spite? No, I think I’d look at conversion instead. If the day comes and we have to drive EVs, we have zero choice, then I many as well drive an EV that I love the look of, especially if conversion is a fraction of the cost of buying a new EV which I don’t like as much. I’d hate this day to come but it might.

    Sadly I don’t have the benefit of some members here, Malc - it’s far more likely to effect us youngsters than some of you more senior lot .......
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    I agree with that Pete. I don't look forward to it, being a lifelong sports car fan but electric will take over. The question for us all how long will internal combustion cars have before being legislated off the road through sweeping powers and taxation. It's coming, get used to the idea!

    The thought of that 308 vs a Nissan Leaf... I know which one I'd want.
    I'd either keep my car with ICE or move it on. What I will not do is ever enjoy a mobile washing machine. They're as dull as ditchwater and always will be. I have no more a desire to drive a Milk Float enthusiastically than I do holiday in Iraq.

    Not interested and will find another hobby if I am still able. EV's are that far off being compulsory I'm quite sure I don't need to worry but you should be considered spark heads for even thinking such things

    It's no longer a Ferrari when you replace the engine with an electric drill motor. If the engine (be it hybrid or electric) was not produced in Maranello then you no longer have a Ferrari. Really what is the point? Do you just own them because they look pretty?

  4. #24
    Nosevi's Avatar
    Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Name
    Pete
    Posts
    10,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    I'd either keep my car with ICE or move it on. What I will not do is ever enjoy a mobile washing machine. They're as dull as ditchwater and always will be. I have no more a desire to drive a Milk Float enthusiastically than I do holiday in Iraq.

    Not interested and will find another hobby if I am still able. EV's are that far off being compulsory I'm quite sure I don't need to worry but you should be considered spark heads for even thinking such things

    It's no longer a Ferrari when you replace the engine with an electric drill motor. If the engine (be it hybrid or electric) was not produced in Maranello then you no longer have a Ferrari. Really what is the point? Do you just own them because they look pretty?
    Yes, I like my car partly because it looks pretty (to my eye) but you're right in that a large part of the experience and therefore enjoyment would instantly disappear from cars if they ALL went electric. And if they ALL went electric would I prefer to be in an electric car I really like the look of? Yes, I think I would. Would I pay 4 times the price to bin it and buy an electric car I don't like the look of as much, given in this dystopia I'd have to drive an electric car of some sort and moving it on is not an option (who the hell is going to buy an ICE vehicle if they're all banned?!?!?)? No, that would be more than a tad pig-headed.

    As you say, Malc, I doubt it's something you need to worry about. Some of us less senior members eventually might though

    (Although odds are if theins ever look like they're headed that way I'd possibly get out well before it happened as well)

  5. #25
    MalcH's Avatar
    MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Astley, Manchester.
    Name
    Malc Holden
    Posts
    11,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Yes, I like my car partly because it looks pretty (to my eye) but you're right in that a large part of the experience and therefore enjoyment would instantly disappear from cars if they ALL went electric. And if they ALL went electric would I prefer to be in an electric car I really like the look of? Yes, I think I would. Would I pay 4 times the price to bin it and buy an electric car I don't like the look of as much, given in this dystopia I'd have to drive an electric car of some sort and moving it on is not an option (who the hell is going to buy an ICE vehicle if they're all banned?!?!?)? No, that would be more than a tad pig-headed.

    As you say, Malc, I doubt it's something you need to worry about. Some of us less senior members eventually might though

    (Although odds are if theins ever look like they're headed that way I'd possibly get out well before it happened as well)
    Cheeky git. I'm not worrying. I would have an EV as a daily and did try to get a Model 3 instead of my Merc but Musky was too busy camping or something and had no time to build RHD Model 3's. I understand he also had issues with rain and parts falling off so living in Manchester I decided to leave them alone. Then eventfully after buying my Merc he sends me an email but the price had gone up

    Next time I will see what MB are offering hybrid or EV and depending on price.. I won't enjoy it though it will just appeal to my cheap side

  6. #26
    sweeni's Avatar
    sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birkenshaw West Yorkshire
    Name
    David Todd
    Posts
    3,492

    Default

    "With a Ferrari you buy the engine the rest comes free"
    The reason I drive a Ferrari is for the interaction between driver and machine, a machine with soul, character. Nothing with an electric motor gets close - no engine sound just the noise from rumbling tyres.
    The radio in my 308 does not work, I have not bothered to investigate why. I bought a 550 rather than a 575 simply because I desired the tactile feeling of a proper gear-lever rather than paddles.
    A 308, or any other classic car, without its engine has lost its soul.
    If legislation puts and end to the internal combustion engine or makes them untenable to own then that will sadly see me finish my love affair with classic cars, classic airplanes etc (can you for a moment try to imagine a Spitfire without a Merlin, god forbid)
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

  7. #27
    MalcH's Avatar
    MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Astley, Manchester.
    Name
    Malc Holden
    Posts
    11,533

    Default

    You said it better than I did David.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. LPG conversion for a Ferrari
    By Angelis in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 05:37 PM
  2. ferrari electric cable colour initials
    By dermot in forum Technical Q & A
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-05-2012, 11:29 PM
  3. Ferrari - Electric / Hydrogen
    By candellara in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 08:39 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28-05-2009, 08:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •