Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 360 front end

Name
    birdseye

Default 360 front end

My car tracks straight and true. It had new tyres ( P zero) fitted before I bought it so I cant judge the wear on them yet. But it isnt as "grippy" at the front as my 430 was and at high speed it has to be stopped from wandering. Just doesnt feel to "dig in" with the front when cornering.

The car has been checked for suspension wear and there isnt any. How good is the front end of a 360? Do I need to get the alignment checked or am I being unrealistic in expecting the front to match a 430 or my old Lotus?
    Last edited by birdseye; 21-08-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Disclaimer: I know bugger all about the newer cars compared to the older ones.

That said, one of the things I do know is that one of the big improvements with the 430 was downforce was hugely increased over the 360. My 348 more or less just has mechanical grip, I have downforce envy over 360 owners because at least they have some but a 430 has significantly more. So I’d have to say yes, you’re being a little unrealistic expecting a 360 to be as ‘planted’ as a 430 at speed I’m afraid.

Name
    Ian

Didn’t notice any wander with my 355 at over 160 so am a bit surprised your 360 does. Even when there was a cross wind that caused some older cars to abort their runs the 355 still felt fairly stable. 360 should be better I would have thought.
    When you say tracks straight and true does that mean you have had a four wheel tracking check?
    Last edited by Ian355; 21-08-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

I wouldn't expect the F430 to be too much better than a 360 but if it's wandering at speed, it needs a little fettling. I'm sure one who knows the F430 better than me may be able to shed more light on that but I'm not sure the later model has more downforce that'd affect the front end stability. Our 360 is absolutely rock steady at speed and has P-Zeros fitted (about three/four years old)

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Mine is fine up to ~150mph.

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Mine feels light on the front end especially in normal mode but it loads up at speed. Itís a lot more stable in Sport (does the Sport button lower the power steering assistance??)

Even though there is Ďno wearí on the suspension, if it has had little done to it since new other than the odd ball joint, then it will be getting tired.
    I changed the track rod ends on mine a few years back and it made a big difference. Refreshing much of the front over winter was a another step forward. It felt really tight.....

Iíd start will a full alignment check and take it from the results of that.
    Remember the OEM tires are a generation behind 430 rubber with larger profiles.
    Itíll be interesting when I fit new P Zeros to my spare wheels and take the CH wheels off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by dave964 View Post
    Mine is fine up to ~150mph.
    I can vouch for that

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Just to clarify what I said above, Iím sure a 360 is fine at high speed. My 348 has been fine when Iíve driven it at 150mph and higher ........ if by fine you mean I lived. Going at high speed Iíd much rather be in a 360 than a 348

I was just thinking that the issue a 348 has at speed is it goes light, any car pre positive downforce will. A 430 allegedly has 50% more downforce than a 360 which is quite a step up. More downwards pressure equals more grip so Iíd expect (but I donít know) a 430 to feel a bit more planted at speed.

Wasnít in any way saying a 360 wouldnít be more than capable at those speeds.

Name
    Mark Wibberley

As many know I compete in my 360 Spider and have also taken it on an airfield at 175mph. It always has been rock steady, no matter what tyres I use - it did have Pirellis on when on the airfield btw.

Obviously they are known for losing the back end but even with what i do, I've only done so once and that was my first event - a rather spectacular 540 degree spin...

Not driven a 430 or Lotus though.

Name
    birdseye

Its difficult to put the feeling into words tbh. In the Lotus, which as far as I am concerned is th pinaccle of car steering< the slightest twitch on the wheel got a reaction from the car. The 430 wasnt a lot worse but I do know that th steering ratio in the 430 was faster than the 360. In th 360, there isnt the same feeling of bite from the front end. Its as if there is a lot more initial understeer.

But the car does track true down the road hands off

I'll get the tracking checked out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast