Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Brighton Speed Trials, I want to run my 458 Italia ????

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Little Bentley,Colchester
    Name
    Eddie Walsh
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    definitely auto upshift in launch mode
    Hi Thanks, Great even better if it auto shifts in Launch mode takes a load of my mind, as the couple of times I have tried to do a quick start in manual mode ( Not Launch) I always hit the rev limiter before I could grab second, so I hope you are right, Regards DM

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Little Bentley,Colchester
    Name
    Eddie Walsh
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dinoman View Post
    I would think a cold slick will still be better than a cold P7 ??,
    The Temp monitors just monitor temp so they do not know what tyre you are running ???? ???.
    I have floored mine in the wet and all that happens is a little squirm before the traction control takes control and limits the power, and hopefully if it was wet I would not take part.
    I have no problem becoming a YouTube star ??? Regards DM


    Thganks for all the support and advice so far, Regards DM

  3. #13
    Kyodo's Avatar
    Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Windsor, UK
    Name
    Mark
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dinoman View Post
    Hi Thanks, I do not understand what difference slicks will will make to launch and create a expensive bang ?? surely the more grip I have the quicker I can get away at the start, which is what it is all about ??, Regards DM
    You're absolutely correct. However, when you consider the energy involved with the car trying to pull forward and slick tyres holding firm rather than spinning, all of that force collides somewhere between the engine and the wheels. Over the years I've seen 'what gives' although admittedly not in modern Ferrari's, more like everything from US muscle cars to storming air-cooled VWs to top fuel and funny car dragsters. Go for it, what could possibly go wrong!

    I'm sure it's be fine, just be aware.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Little Bentley,Colchester
    Name
    Eddie Walsh
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    You're absolutely correct. However, when you consider the energy involved with the car trying to pull forward and slick tyres holding firm rather than spinning, all of that force collides somewhere between the engine and the wheels. Over the years I've seen 'what gives' although admittedly not in modern Ferrari's, more like everything from US muscle cars to storming air-cooled VWs to top fuel and funny car dragsters. Go for it, what could possibly go wrong!

    I'm sure it's be fine, just be aware.
    Hi Thanks again, I am sure the traction control will not differentiate between Slicks and normal P7's so there will be minimal spinning involved, as the traction limits the power to the grip you got, so no worries the computer is in control ??, Regards DM

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Cornwall
    Name
    Ian
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dinoman View Post
    Hi Thanks again, I am sure the traction control will not differentiate between Slicks and normal P7's so there will be minimal spinning involved, as the traction limits the power to the grip you got, so no worries the computer is in control ??, Regards DM
    Fairly sure that Mark was pointing out by having more grip, slicks will put extra strain on the drivetrain and so increase the risk of failure.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Little Bentley,Colchester
    Name
    Eddie Walsh
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian355 View Post
    Fairly sure that Mark was pointing out by having more grip, slicks will put extra strain on the drivetrain and so increase the risk of failure.
    Hi Thanks, I am sure the Ferrari test drivers will have put a lot more strain on the drive train than I will ever be able to do ?? and if it breaks then it is all in a good cause, Regards DM

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    england
    Name
    jos
    Posts
    19,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dinoman View Post
    you need a Competition Licence
    https://www.motorsportuk.org/Get-Started/Starter-Packs - maybe a hundred quid plus probably a grand in helmet overalls gloves boots etc plus a couple of hundred entry fee - all for a few seconds of fun !

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Little Bentley,Colchester
    Name
    Eddie Walsh
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    https://www.motorsportuk.org/Get-Started/Starter-Packs - maybe a hundred quid plus probably a grand in helmet overalls gloves boots etc plus a couple of hundred entry fee - all for a few seconds of fun !
    Hi Thanks, hopefully 2 lots of 12.?? seconds of fun, Regards DM

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Cornwall
    Name
    Ian
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Iím not sure if they still do it but several years ago FOC organised high speed runs down a disused airfield in Norfolk. Speed trap at the end of a mile + straight. Cars were model grouped so we were pitted against the same model. 355s were in the 160s 360s a few mph faster. I believe a F40 was around the 180 to 190. Some scrub/ small trees at the sides which gave good sensation of speed.
    It was a good chance to experience high speed legally. Crash cart and paramedics were there but just a crash helmet needed. Most cars did around 5 or 6 runs so a good chance to get the take off and gear change points right.
    Might be of interest to you or at least worth an enquiry.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Little Bentley,Colchester
    Name
    Eddie Walsh
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian355 View Post
    Iím not sure if they still do it but several years ago FOC organised high speed runs down a disused airfield in Norfolk. Speed trap at the end of a mile + straight. Cars were model grouped so we were pitted against the same model. 355s were in the 160s 360s a few mph faster. I believe a F40 was around the 180 to 190. Some scrub/ small trees at the sides which gave good sensation of speed.
    It was a good chance to experience high speed legally. Crash cart and paramedics were there but just a crash helmet needed. Most cars did around 5 or 6 runs so a good chance to get the take off and gear change points right.
    Might be of interest to you or at least worth an enquiry.
    Hi ian,yes that sounds a lot better Thanks, I will make some enquiries, Regards DM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Brighton Speed Trials 2009
    By 208 GT4 in forum Meets, Cars & Coffee
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 09:12 PM
  2. GT4 at the Speed Trials
    By 208 GT4 in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 15-09-2008, 06:30 PM
  3. Brighton Speed Trials - Sat 8th Sept
    By 208 GT4 in forum Meets, Cars & Coffee
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 05:34 PM
  4. Brighton Speed Trials
    By Murph7355 in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-02-2007, 01:10 AM
  5. Brighton Speed Trials - Sat 9th Sept
    By 208 GT4 in forum Meets, Cars & Coffee
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-08-2006, 12:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •