Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Searching for a 550...

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Quote Originally Posted by sweeni View Post
    Had my 550 now for nearly 11yrs. Bought with 26000 miles on, it clocked up 71000 last week in France.
    Reliability has been excellent. My biggest issue was a burst hose which left me stranded on the way to the Goodwood Revival a few years ago. Told clutches last 45-50000 miles, mine did 63000 but cost £3k to replace.
    Contrary to a previous reply not all 550 dashboards suffer the leather shrinkage, mine been a late car (2002) had the improved adhesive so has not suffered this issue. What all 550s (& 456s) suffer is windows dropping. Mine has been repaired once but slowly they are going again. This is apparently a design issue and seems there is no upgrade available (Someone please advise me otherwise).
    Tried various tyres - both Pirellis and Bridgestone suffer aquaplaning. Now bitten the bullet and fitted an expensive set of Michelin Pilots 12 months ago and the car has been transformed. You get what you pay for its seems....
    I love this car and will not be selling any time soon. Rock on 100000miles.
    What a great post!

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by rivarama View Post
    After have a few email back and forth with the seller of the cheaper 55k miler, it turns out that the car has basically been driven 1000 miles over the past 9 years, and has been stored for the past 2 without being taxed or MOTíd and having not covered a single mile. It turns out the car belong to an older gentleman who lives abroad more than 6months a year and has no use for the car anymore.

The car was resprayed back in March to correct previous miscellaneous substandard resprays over the course of its life.

Looking at the MOT history, the car has had the same advisory for the last 7years, flagging worn front bushes, which have been replaced earlier this year as well. It doesnít look like the car has received a lot of upgrades/fixes outside the a bi-annual standard service given the ultra low mileage covered over that period. The car will receive a major / belts before the sale, and will get the upgraded engine cooling hose. It all got the sticky button and a dash retrim over the past 3 years...
    I will check the car out, as it might be an interesting option, as long as the story checks out and that itís really a matter of an older owner selling a car for lack of use, provided itís been well maintained under his ownership.
    This doesn't seem like a car that's been cared for. I'd want it for a very good price else I'd walk.

Name
    Paul

Quick update - I have a put a deposit down on a car, which I inspected last Friday w a qualified Ferrari mechanic, car seems amazingly clean.
    The PPI is schedule for tomorrow - with Steve Moody at SMDG.
    More details to follow

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Had my 550 now for nearly 11yrs. Bought with 26000 miles on, it clocked up 71000 last week in France.
    Reliability has been excellent. My biggest issue was a burst hose which left me stranded on the way to the Goodwood Revival a few years ago. Told clutches last 45-50000 miles, mine did 63000 but cost £3k to replace.
    Contrary to a previous reply not all 550 dashboards suffer the leather shrinkage, mine been a late car (2002) had the improved adhesive so has not suffered this issue. What all 550s (& 456s) suffer is windows dropping. Mine has been repaired once but slowly they are going again. This is apparently a design issue and seems there is no upgrade available (Someone please advise me otherwise).
    Tried various tyres - both Pirellis and Bridgestone suffer aquaplaning. Now bitten the bullet and fitted an expensive set of Michelin Pilots 12 months ago and the car has been transformed. You get what you pay for its seems....
    I love this car and will not be selling any time soon. Rock on 100000miles.
    Is it that long? When did I get a blast around Oulton park with you?

Quote Originally Posted by rivarama View Post
    Quick update - I have a put a deposit down on a car, which I inspected last Friday w a qualified Ferrari mechanic, car seems amazingly clean.
    The PPI is schedule for tomorrow - with Steve Moody at SMDG.
    More details to follow
    Good luck.

sweeni is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Quote Originally Posted by MalcH View Post
    Is it that long? When did I get a blast around Oulton park with you?
    Must be around 2010 I would say.
    Time passes faster as you get older......
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward Ė just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Must be around 2010 I would say.
    Time passes faster as you get older......
    Yes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123