Thread: Le Mans Classic 2020

Name
    John Coventry

Default Le Mans Classic 2020

I am looking into going to the Le Mans Classic next year. I have not been before.

Is anyone going / thinking of going?

If you have been before, have you any advice? These are some of the things I am considering:

1. Should I go on an organised tour and, if so, any suggestions?
    2. Pros and cons of camping inside the circuit vs. staying at an hotel nearby. What is the traffic like getting in and out of the circuit if one stays at an hotel?
    3. Hotel recommendations?

but any other thoughts would be very welcome.
    Best wishes, John
    Ferrari: '98 550 Maranello S/N 110995, '73 Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
    Other - see http://bluebottleonline.com/

Name
    jos

Hotels will already be committed but for initial guidance (apart from previous year's threads) you could talk to one of our sponsors https://www.lycianevents.com/classic-le-mans/

Tickets with parking by brand and/or club plus track laps can be booked direct https://www.lemansclassic.com/language/en/home/ from next month
    Last edited by jos; 05-10-2019 at 12:23 PM.

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

John,

Looked a couple of years ago, but never happened for one reason or other.

Tickets were fine, accommodation we were looking Airbnb in a local ish village (within 30 minutes drive) as we donít do camping!

Could be interested, but will have to check with the boss as Iíve already booked tickets etc for Monaco historic!

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

John, I went last year. In fact if you remember I was on the way there when we bumped into each other. As by that point in a long trip I was budget conscious I booked an airbnb which was 3 metro stops from the circuit so very handy though crushed into a crowded metro at the end of a long hot day isn't much fun. BTW the airbnb was esoteric but fun and cooked myself a nice barbecue in the garden! It was a peaceful haven. I had never intended to take the Ferrari to the circuit which was just as well as it had a problem, if you recall. Traffic queues didn't seem overlong.

However, it was REALLY hot and there was quite a lot of walking involved (the Le Mans track is enormous) and although I had a seat in a stand opposite the pits I did find the whole thing quite exhausting. I think if I was doing it again I would go with a company that have good track side facilities and could do things such as looking after your possessions while you have a wander etc. My camping days are well behind me.

Therefore I think you could do worse than go with a company such as Classic Grand Touring https://www.classicgt.co.uk/all-events/le-mans-classic/ who I have used before for other events and can fully recommend. One of the benefits is that the owner, Martin Overington, races his blower Bentley there and brings the car to their marquee for you to see, so you get some involvement. If I go again I think that is what I will do. Not going next year as already have a couple of other trips planned and can't do everything.

Name
    John Coventry

Thanks for that. Yes, I do remember now, Francis. I think I shall look into your suggestion, especially as I now understand that there is a FOC group going with this company.
    Best wishes, John

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
    Thanks for that. Yes, I do remember now, Francis. I think I shall look into your suggestion, especially as I now understand that there is a FOC group going with this company.
    Yes there is, I'm part of that FOC group, my first trip to the Classic. We're really looking forward to it.

Name
    John Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyjonkers View Post
    Yes there is, I'm part of that FOC group, my first trip to the Classic. We're really looking forward to it.
    That's interesting. Still undecided here. At which hotel are you staying?
    Best wishes, John

Name
    jonnyjonkers

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
    That's interesting. Still undecided here. At which hotel are you staying?
    Nothing fancy, an IBIS Styles.