That was a bit irritating. Went from this:

Name:  7AE2D5E9-E094-466A-B414-9EBE30CB658C.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  48.4 KB

To this yesterday:

Name:  42D277D0-FED8-420F-A379-C88BFB97AA9F.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  45.8 KB

Bailed out some late last night but turns out I might as well have not bothered, tide had gone out this morning:

Name:  47818598-0A32-44A7-AD84-B8D9187EA11E.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  38.2 KB

Essentially soak aways all overflowed and flooded the place. Builder will be round this morning to devise a plan to stop it happening again.

One saving grace - car stayed bone dry in her Carcoon, not a drop got in. Some may not like them but I was pretty pleased my car was in one yesterday.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 08-11-2019 at 08:28 AM.

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Not good, but we drove through deeper on our last FOC run a couple of weeks ago - the 328 guys had it coming in through the door gaps

irarref is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

Nooooo!!!!!! What a shame I bet you felt sick seeing that :-(

Glad to hear the car was ok and hopefully no harm done to anything else. Did your tools stay dry?

Did your house flood as well or was it just the garage and if just garage was that the builders fault....???

Name
    GQ

Did you connect the garage extension to an existing soakaway for the house, or provide a new one just for the garage?

Name
    Nick

Wow. Thats rough Pete.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    Not good, but we drove through deeper on our last FOC run a couple of weeks ago - the 328 guys had it coming in through the door gaps

Quote Originally Posted by irarref View Post
    Nooooo!!!!!! What a shame I bet you felt sick seeing that :-(

Glad to hear the car was ok and hopefully no harm done to anything else. Did your tools stay dry?

Did your house flood as well or was it just the garage and if just garage was that the builders fault....???
    Just the detached garage, thankfully. Tools were fine as the ones in there are in my tool cart which is wheeled. only a couple of trolley jacks got wet and they'll be fine.

Name:  5a.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  58.2 KB

It'd probably depend who you ask. I'd say it wouldn't have happened if the soakaway was a lot further from the building, I guess he'd probably say the amount of rain we've had is pretty much unprecedented. We'd probably both have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
    Did you connect the garage extension to an existing soakaway for the house, or provide a new one just for the garage?
    2 new ones, one behind the garage, one in front. Both totally overflowed but the front one created a lake up to the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
    Wow. Thats rough Pete.
    Cheers mate. It's a shame... but the car was fine in her Carcoon, everything else is just a bit grubby but it'll clean up. We'll make some changes and hopefully this won't be able to happen again.

Name
    GQ

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post

2 new ones, one behind the garage, one in front. Both totally overflowed but the front one created a lake up to the door.
    Real shame, however now I'd be concerned during any future storm event! Not wanting to sound a nerd, but did the extension go through planning / BRegs? If so, they would have normally insisted on perculation tests / storm event calcs to determine the correct size of soakaway. If you have this, there's something to investigate and possibly fall back on?

Name
    Pete

Real shame, however now I'd be concerned during any future storm event! Not wanting to sound a nerd, but did the extension go through planning / BRegs? If so, they would have normally insisted on perculation tests / storm event calcs to determine the correct size of soakaway. If you have this, there's something to investigate and possibly fall back on?
    Yep, it went through full planning and building regs. I think the problem is, with the amount of rain we've had over such a long period the water table is only just below ground level. As such there's nowhere for the soakaway to soak to if that makes sense. Mate of mine who's a builder came round and we're looking at putting a French drain of some sort around the building. Our field is only a few metres from the building so we could run a drain out there where the water can spread out even if it can't soak in (there's quite a bit of standing water in the field right now.

In addition and in the immediate term I might invest in on of these:

https://www.weatherstop.co.uk/weathe...iABEgJUC_D_BwE

Would have been close but might have actually kept the place dry. Certainly wouldn't have filled up like it did.

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Pete,

Glad the car is OK and the rest will clean up with a mop!!! Judging by some of the pics on the interweb you got away lightly compared to some!

As to soak away calculations Our annex is full planning/calcs etc. Nice big soak away; which comprises the majority of the builders waste! As to the porosity of the "stuff" in the soak away god only knows! Fortunately the ground around us is very absorbent; although it was lapping close to the garage last year at one point in a particular storm.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Pete,

Glad the car is OK and the rest will clean up with a mop!!! Judging by some of the pics on the interweb you got away lightly compared to some!

As to soak away calculations Our annex is full planning/calcs etc. Nice big soak away; which comprises the majority of the builders waste! As to the porosity of the "stuff" in the soak away god only knows! Fortunately the ground around us is very absorbent; although it was lapping close to the garage last year at one point in a particular storm.
    Cheers Adrian. Yep, it's annoying but as nothing is actually damaged, just damp and dirty (and that doesn't include the car) like you say, I got away lightly. Right now the heaters are on, dehumidifier running hard, then tomorrow morning I'll get to cleaning. 48 hours afterwards it should be back to how it was before. sounds like you could also benefit from that Weatherstop flood guard (or as my builder mate called it "bloody expensive bit of rubber") that I've posted above.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast