Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are 458's selling?

JohnJStewart is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    John Stewart

Default Are 458's selling?

How flat is the market at the moment? I have had my (excellent) F430 Spider up for sale for 6 months and not a single call. I was thinking of upgrading to a 458 and there are a few hanging around in the 120's/130's but are these prices realistic? Have we seen the flood of owners upgrading to 488's and should I just wait as the 488 GTB is dropping into 458 prices......

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Everything seems flat at the moment.

Friend just got a very good deal on a new house part exchanged his in as the developer was keen as mustered to sell; and the yacht market is also broadly dead; 1 partially serious offer in a year!

Winter/Election/Brexit

Who knows what the market will hold, but as others have said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 458s do better than the 488s longer term as the last normally aspirated V8. A quick look at Carrs and DL and the 458 and 488 GTB are within touching distance on price 10k! (Ok I didn't bother looking at spec/mileage..but still!) I'd guess 488s on pcp type finance deals will be offloaded/ traded in as everybody moves into the F8 and the next new thing! 458s are past that I think. But that's all crystal ball stuff!

If you were trading in, late December would be a good time to go shopping I would think. End of fascial years/quarters and dealerships will probably be ghost towns...mind the tumble weed on your way in!

Personally... buy what you like and put miles one it!

markst is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJStewart View Post
    How flat is the market at the moment? I have had my (excellent) F430 Spider up for sale for 6 months and not a single call. I was thinking of upgrading to a 458 and there are a few hanging around in the 120's/130's but are these prices realistic? Have we seen the flood of owners upgrading to 488's and should I just wait as the 488 GTB is dropping into 458 prices......
    I've been watching the market for 458 too......not many selling at the one a 117 or 119 at a Dealer has been up for ages.....
    ..and as for 430, I asked on ph as to what people thought I should pay, and well looked like not a lot.... I reckon I could get into a red coupe for 65.
    less for any other colour.

something has to give....

Name
    Carper Mike

Sold my F355 GTB in early August @ 65k ( 53k miles )

At the time the price was a little disappointing but now just a few months later I reckon that was probably the right price .... if I had held out for more it is possible it would now have been a fifty something thousand pound sale ?

The SOR selling dealer did advise me to "price ahead of a falling market" which of course sounds like "sales speak". Looking back he was right and probably prevented me trying to catch a falling knife.

Who knows ( no one ) .... at end of day i had decided to sell and was pleased to do so after 10 years and 12k miles of trouble free ownership ( well, trouble free in 355 terms anyway ! )

Name
    cgt

458 is better than a 488. Drive both and make your own judgement, I prefer the older car.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Trying to predict what will happen in the market is a bit of a 'fool's game'...…… so I'll give it a go And if trying to predict its future at a normal time of the year is difficult, trying to do it in November/December when the market is traditionally totally dead, just ahead of a general election and with Brexit looming (or not) is basically impossible.

All of that said I see a correction in the spring which is about the first time you can really say what the market is actually doing. Not as large as potential buyers want but bigger than some potential sellers will accept. I think the market will be split between those that actually need to sell (a minority in this market I'd think when you discount dealers sitting on stock) and 'chancers' who have put their cars up in the past year or 2 simply because of the high prices. The latter will pull their cars off the market and go back to enjoying their 430 or 355 because it won't fetch what they've become accustomed to believing it's worth, and the former will have to accept lower prices ………. and so the market will fall.

But I think (obviously don't know, but think) that the market will fall/correct rather than crash for a couple of reasons. Firstly money is still cheap to borrow and you get the square root of **** all if your cash is sat is savings. That always holds alternative markets like cars, art and wine up a bit. Secondly I think a good many dealers have a great deal of money tied up in stock which they bought high and they'll resist selling low as much as they can. With many coming into the market wanting dealer cars over private sales I think this will cushion the fall a little.

But who knows, the market could crash or it could stabilize and bounce back a little. As I say, November/December is about the worst time to try to predict the direction of the Ferrari market. Literally nothing sells at this time of year, any year, and never has. Perhaps everyone's waiting in the hope their wife will buy them one for Christmas.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 26-11-2019 at 08:18 AM.

RichardCH is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    richard mark dodds

there are over 600 488's for sale in Europe alone, those kinda numbers are concerning

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

I also think that 458s etc. are going to start suffering from McLaren.

Obviously I'm not the biggest fan of mine at the moment - but there are plenty of them on the market now. Depreciation is obviously a known issue with them - but that does make them a LOT of car for the money - and compared with an older, higher mileage, slower (and probably more expensive) 458 - they look pretty appealing.

Obviously Ferrari has some advantages - but I don't think 458s are immune from 150k McLaren 720s, 100k 650s etc.

Name
    ian

got our 458 in march this year, had been watching prices of the spider and they were pretty stable considering...so we took the plunge, we did not like the maclaren though !! bought the 458 because we don't like the styling of the 488 nor did i want a turbo, only 10k difference to a 488 when .we bought...seems a few don't want the 488 for the same reasons...same goes for the F8 really... see what Ferrari come up with to replace the F8, but if its hydrid an looks like the F8/488 then i will be sticking with the lovely 458..best Ferrari in chuffin years

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

I think the 458 possibly hits a real sweet spot with many people. Way more capable than any road car needs to be and presses the right buttons for many. I know there are a fair few other cars with blistering performance that take it to another level, Dave's 650 for example, but I think the 458 probably sits just right, for me at least. I'd love one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast